New GINA crashing issue

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xyroff-cazic., Apr 30, 2018.

1. Greymantle Augur

Ahh that makes more sence then, i never shut it off once i load it.
  2. feeltheburn Augur

4) Replace the GINA.exe.config file with the file attached to this post (remove the .txt extension from the attached file when saving it).

how does one make that happen? I know how to rename a file and such but do you edit the file to make .txt go away
  3. Triconix Augur

I hope his fix won't break it all over again when the devs fix their code in a few weeks. The temporary fix that worked best for me was just have a powershell script create a modified log file and I set the path in GINA to the modified file. There hasn't been any delay in the function of my triggers that I can see.
  4. Belexes ForumQuester

You rename the file without the txt on the end. ;)
    I renamed my old file to "GINA.exe.configbackup" and when I saved the new file to the proper file location, I renamed it to "GINA.exe.config". Just take the txt off the end of it when you save it. Also, don't save it as a .txt file. Choose "all files under file type in your Save As window.

Did this on two PCs and tested. Triggers work.
  5. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Tried this patch method. GINA now won't open. And since it won't open I can't put the backup file back in, because the only way to open the folder is to run GINA. It won't let me download and run a new version of GINA either. I'm hoping I didn't just lose all of my personal audio triggers by doing this.
  6. Belexes ForumQuester

The file you replace is in the same directory as your .exe file.

Find the file using search. You can find it. :)
  7. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Yeah I've tried multiple methods of finding it, including search. It doesn't show up anywhere.
  8. svann Augur

First make sure file extensions are visible. Click view, then check file extensions box. Then just rename it.
    If you dont know where the folder is, its like this:
    c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\gimasoft\gina
    If you cant see appdata folder then google how to show hidden folders
  9. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

I'm suspecting that this is what got me screwed up, is that file extensions weren't visible. So now I have to figure out how to undo the damage.
  10. Belexes ForumQuester

Make sure you can see file extensions. If you do a search on C:\ in windows explorer, you will find it. You won't find it by going to Windows Start and searching there.

It is most likely in C:\Users\YourUsername\Appdata\local\apps\2.0 and then under one of the directories there and then another folder in that directory after that. Make sure you are in the same folder your GINA.exe file is in.
  11. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Yeah it was hidden. All set. Had to uninstall and reinstall to undo the damage of replacing a config file with a .txt file but luckily my triggers were preserved. Thanks!
  12. Belexes ForumQuester

Glad to help!
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not to keep hijacking the thread, but I made another small fix to gamparse. I missed a date check the last time. Current version is 1.5.2.20.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The biggest problem for people is that GINA is not in the Program Files (or user picked) folder but puts itself in C:\Users\username\AppData\GimaSoft\GINA.

I've found some Microsoft installers do this and don't give you any choice. I think if you pay them for the "professional" version of the language you get to allow the users to pick a folder, but otherwise it gets shoved in that folder. One of my annoyances with Microsoft.

I understand the whole "multiuser" concept behind some of these ideas but every user should have a choice if they want it elsewhere. Too bad Microsoft believes they should control things.
  15. Reht The Dude abides...

It uses ClickOnce, so unfortunately there is no option to change the installation regardless of version. It's just the way Microsoft designed it: "One of the design goals of ClickOnce applications is that they require no administrative privileges, and the only places you can write with impunity on Vista and Windows Fabulous (7) are under the user's profile."
    Metanis likes this.
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yes, the terrible ClickOnce.

Are you ready for where my GINA program was placed by ClickOnce?

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\7X7GZ34C.9RA\47VNZZZP.AZY\gina..tion_d03ba0016bff7a04_0001.0000_01c7bcb8e29f5572

That's how bad ClickOnce is. I would have never found it without the Everything search https://www.voidtools.com/ program, by searching for GINA.exe.config.

Microsoft should be ashamed.
    Reht likes this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

I feel dirty defending them but they have improved. And this is not their bug, it's in an app they cannot control.
  18. feeltheburn Augur

that was it, that was hidden, thanks for the heads up
    Fanra likes this.
  19. Axxius Augur

If the manual fix is problematic, but you don't want to wait for the official fix, here's a quick fix for the 'less computer literate' among us:
    GinaFix0518.zip

It's a tiny app that finds the GINA config file and replaces it with the one Gima posted.
  20. Rumplestilskin Lorekeeper

SO far so good , thanks