What happened to greed rolling?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nickatropolis, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Oldeqplayer Journeyman

Remember master looting and splitting the profit at the end of the group?
  2. MaxTheLion Augur

It only seems crazy until it becomes the norm. To quote the OP "seems greed rolls are extinct on Coirnav." The natural progression of things is already occurring despite a few wanting to stand their ground. Your idea of kicking a player will lead to more headbutting and eventual trains or competition (DPS race) for the mobs.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

and after they burned you theyll have gotten the high krono loot unjustly anyways. Sounds like you did them a favor and further incentivized them to abuse rolls in the next group.
  4. FluttyMan Elder

I start Pick Up Groups every day on Coirnav since launch and i'm lvl 44 now. I always make sure my groups knows everyone rolls NEED on every item.

I play SK and I have lost rolls to FBSS (I still don't have one) and other melee items to casters. It's the name of the game in 2018 TLs. NEED everything and get a lucky dice roll, or try Need before greed and argue for hours, and see people saying they NEED an item as upgrade just to see them trying to sell it for kronos one hour later.

Krono greed is so real it's just sad, but NEED everything is the only fair way to avoid any conflict.
    Green_Mage, Critt, andross77 and 2 others like this.
  5. Oldeqplayer Journeyman

Maybe you will win a greed or need roll on SMR and trade it for a FBSS.
  6. Nolrog Augur

That's the solution to every concern in this thread. You join a group, ask, hey, what are the loot rules (or start a group and say, hey, here are the loot rules). Then you know, and there is no confusion. And if you don't like the rules, you can move on.
    A_New_Cleric likes this.
  7. SylSyl Lorekeeper

When grouping with friends, we still like to use the loot window as it was intended.
    But there's no easy way to switch to needing everything when I join a pickup group that insists on it.
    So I can't really use the convenience of the advanced loot window very well in pickup groups.

I strongly wish there was way to switch between the two modes: a checkbox, either somewhere on my loot window, or somewhere on the main looter's window. When checked, anything/everything set to greed is rolled as if it were need. Or if a checkbox is too much a slash-command that toggles it would be sufficient.

Having full sets of 'loot preferences' to switch between the way we have preferences to load in the Extended Target Window or the Cast Spell windows would also work, but that seems far more difficult than just having one checkbox or toggle.
  8. Nolrog Augur

Interesting. Like a load spell set kind of thing.
  9. Kahna Augur

You can load/merge filter from saved versions the way you can with UIs. no reason you couldn't set and save a greed version then go into the files and change the name slightly, then set and save a need version. You would have to mess around in the files but it is doable.
  10. Machentoo Augur

Maybe because there was no automatic /random system, and each roll gave the group members the opportunity to call on one another...
  11. Lankie Augur

In what situation would a cash item such as a diamond, ever be "needed" by someone and "greeded" by others? I don't see the logic in using "Greed" and leaving the option open for someone to "Need", when would a need roll ever be a thing?

If an item only has 1 option ever, use the one that is fair and prevents accidental ninja'ing. That is "Need".

When an upgrade drops in a PUG (for example, FBSS) no stop in play is needed, you simply wait for the roll to finish, then ask the winner if you can buy it, or trade it for that SMR that you won earlier. Trading has been around for thousands of years, it's not a new concept.
  12. FluttyMan Elder

Yes that is how I roll. Unfortunatly I have bad troll dice made in grobb and I never win anything of value to trade, but hey luck comes and goes.
    A_New_Cleric likes this.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

All of the live servers I've played on the default was need. It's easier, faster, less drama, and if you're really concerned about loot going to those who need it most, manually assigning it is always the superior option versus rolling it.

Generally in groups I assigned loot in a round robin form. That's the most fair option anyway being that it takes into account who has already looted an item and the length of time they have been in the group.

Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long for the TLPs to catch up to live on this.
    Poledo_EQ likes this.
  14. Poledo_EQ Elder

Round Robin was definitely something we used back in the day. I don't see much use for it with the new system. Ask when you join a pick up group, if you forget to ask, you'll remember the first time something drops and that window pops up.
  15. Tsar Journeyman

Your problem is that you are applying this idea to Vendor loot. Everyone needs vendor loot. Greed is not a relevant term. Try playing everquest without ever selling a single item to a vendor. You will be poor and crappy forever. You will never have the spells you need, you will run out of food and water, and you will be wearing rawhide into your 50's.

It is actually pretty common on Agnarr for people to either roll "Greed" or ask if anyone needs an item as an upgrade before they roll need. But that only applies to loot that a person could ever conceivably "need" more than someone else. Vendor trash is always "Need" because everyone needs it. It is not greedy to want the Fine Steel Sword, not ever. You need it, the same as anyone else.
    A_New_Cleric likes this.
  16. Nuther Augur

Here is the true purpose of need and greed. I just learned it from my raid guild on Agnarr. Need is for mains and greed is for alts and boxes. That's it. Now does it make more sense?

In a pick group, Need All is the correct form.
  17. Rhodz Augur

Heh EQ mirrors the real world, no one that has a brain trusts any one
  18. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

On a new TLP set it up need = all and you are done thinking about it.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  19. Guzzle Augur

Why not? You can still need before greed. See something you actually need that you will use? Speak up. Most people will be cool and be like "Yeah, of course, no problem."

Communication is key, just like it was before when you had big cash drops.. you manually rolled on stuff. I don't know why it's such a foreign concept.
  20. Kibanu Augur

Just the other day I was in The Hole to get experience in a PuG. The leader then said "oh by the way, this is a NBG group, so only need if you can use it as an upgrade. Three of us are from the same guild and are running the group this way."

It was fair that they stated that up front. It was kind of though, that all three of them were casters and the rest of the group was priest/melee/tank. So, that being said, I wished them luck and disbanded. I then got tell after tell about how greedy I am that I wouldn't accept that and how they wish for the old days of EQ again. I put them on ignore. In a place where 90% of the loot is caster-based and the three that wanted it were casters, it seemed a bit too coincidental.

I feel that everyone should need on all because it's the only FAIR thing to do. Now, again, they said this up front and I disagreed and left. If I am with an all-guild group, we will do a true NBG system of course.

There is no reason that anyone should feel entitled to be handed loot because they claim an upgrade when someone else in the group can use that piece to sell or trade for an equal upgrade for themselves. There are way too many dishonest players to trust someone at their word anymore.
    A_New_Cleric likes this.