DEV: why did you nerf charm after 19 years??? :(

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by lichlord of agnarr, Mar 21, 2018.

1. dc.hawkeyegold Lorekeeper

This is obviously an enchanter trying to deter people from rolling an enchanter. That or an underskilled enchanter. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go with the former.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Just logged into my 60 enc og agnarr. Still 75 charisma... charmed the entire way there too.

Camp some adamantite bands i guess.
  3. Nolrog Augur

All I know, is that my Jboots are slower now.
  4. vylo Augur

They didn't nerf it. Perhaps you need some Cha, because the chanters in my groups haven't been having any problems.
  5. Tornicade_IV Augur

level 47 trying to charm in Chardok ? no guts no glory. level 47 expecting it to work well is an entirely different thing.
    You got Kaesora and CoM then you have possibly Karnors castle and Mines of Nurga to use charm in.

zones like Veksar, Old Seb, Chardok and Droga were never good for charming pre 50. (probably 55)

similar con mobs are not all equal

your also using a level level 46 charm just because it charms up to 51 doesn't mean its gonna work good in all zones on all mobs

the question shouldn't be what is wrong with your charm but why are you trying to push a spell to its limits vs content and getting mad cause its not effective.
  6. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Ogre confirm Ogre Monk charm work fine. Grab mob by neck, punch in face. If not do what you say, punch in face more. If resist, kick in boulders.

Work every time. Also, fun.
    Adrienna, Farore and Nickatropolis like this.
  7. Malokhan Elder

[IMG]

CHA has been proven to have zero measurable effect on charm, this was covered and beat to death years ago. The only measurable benefit a high CHA gives you is on the pacify line, to increase the chance of no aggro on a resist. Aim for about ~130 CHA then call it done if you use lull/pacify. Otherwise don't worry about it.
    Adrienna likes this.
  8. Raina Elder

Ya charisma plays no role in charm. It's an old wives tale that people love to believe.
  9. TheRealAtabishi Journeyman

According to Zatkin (eq's original spell designer) and Lawrence Poe, another developer, cha does play a role. It was stated by Poe at the EQ Dallas Fan Fair. Go tell them that it's an old wives tale.

Lawrence Poe quote:

"Is Charisma actually taken into account on mesmerizations and charms?

Yes it is. It varies on a number of spells to its actual usefulness but it does have a use. There are different levels of charisma for different classes. The system does take into account that an Enchanter should have a higher charisma than say a Necromancer. It's unfair to expect masters of the undead to be entirely charismatic."
  10. Raina Elder

See the old wives? :) Keep spreading the rumor. Nice to see that it is still alive and well.
  11. Malokhan Elder

Yah, that was already proven wrong. But by all means if it makes you think you can charm better, go for it. Dumbo's magic feather helped him fly also I guess, though not really.
  12. doah Augur

I found on Phinigel, 140ish charisma was enough during classic. But there were some mobs that were just crappy and killing them and taking another was preferable.

Sounds like the OP is just bad. GETGUDBRO
  13. Wowjustwow Elder

Wait till Kunark with BRD travel song. All the enchanters be like "why does my charm break every pull?!" NINJA NERF!
  14. vylo Augur

The only rumor is that cha has no effect, which is blatantly false, breaks increase with lower cha. People have tested it. Devs have outright said cha has an effect. People have even tested it enough to give a rough quantification of charisma.

This is like the old rogue pick pocket loot table rumor. Someone spread it, and despite devs coming straight out and telling people how it worked, people keep peddling BS.

here is a quote from a dev about charisma:

"Q: What spell types are affected by Charisma?

A: Charisma does not directly affect any spell. Charisma affects what are known as 'saving throws' or 'secondary throws'.

When you cast a charm spell or mesmerise spell, the monster first checks against your level v it's level, then it checks against its resistance, then it checks against your charisma.

With duration spells such as charms, each tick the monster gets a saving throw and this process is repeated. If any one of these checks is successful (ie: you win the roll) then the spell holds.

Be aware thought that each of these checks is not just a 50 - 50 chance, formulas are in place which give each of these checks more or less of a chance for you to succeed.

Charisma has the smallest chance of succeeding. Your Level and the resistance type check have the greatest chance of you succeeding. "

Charisma is the third check to see if a mob breaks your charm. While it is the weakest of the checks, it is still significant and will impact your charms breaking. While that doesn't mean you should stack it at the expense of int or stamina, ignoring it is about as foolish as refusing to tash or malo pets.
    doah likes this.
  15. Vashnoob Lorekeeper

ya my pal had 75 starting cha and now he has two 25steins no breaks. maybe 75 was too low. i have 95 and didnt see it but i got some steins just in case.
  16. Darchon_Xegony Augur

On an academic level, I'd love to know if this was always the case.

@Prathun what does the old Al'Kabor code say about Enchanter charm and charisma's impact. Personally on AK I never paid much attention to, nor did anyone else who played an Enchanter. But most of us were level 65 with VT and EP gear naturally maxing out Charisma.
  17. doah Augur

I believe, they adjusted the calculation over time because charm works better now than it did 10+ years ago.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, please don't start.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Stop making stuff up. From the last thread it's obvious that you are on the wrong side of this argument.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

It doesn't!