Did you know that EverQuest is in Ready Player One?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dandy, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Dandy Augur

[IMG]

Much of Ready Player One takes place in a VR world called the OASIS. Early on in the book it mentions that Norrath is some of the first licensed content.

And yes, that's really my everyday bookmark. A Keith Parkinson business card from SOE Live 2013.

Have you ever come across EverQuest in other media or out in the wild?
    Niskin likes this.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Interesting. Anyone know if this is out there anywhere?
    With all the new VR type stuff recently coming out this could be cool.
  3. Nudia Augur

[IMG]
    Dandy and Sheex like this.
  4. Horyuken Augur

Is the potion belt in OASIS confirmed working ?
    Slippry, Dandy and Lorai like this.
  5. Zaviere Augur

Dandy likes this.
  6. Snazster Elder

Unfortunately, gaming companies thus far would rather bury an old MMO than sell it, because they can't get much for it on the one hand, and that's weighed against the embarrassment of some other outfit making money with it, they'd rather not risk it.

On the other hand, if DBG could turn EQ virtual it would be a natural for as it's already 3d.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

My gf read that book around x-mas time last year and mentioned that to me. There's a movie in the works for Ready Player One as well. I'm interested to see if the movie keeps the EQ reference in it.
    Dandy likes this.
  8. Dandy Augur

There were overwhelming amounts of references in the book. But it will be cool to see what makes it into the movie.

I expect the film to be very different. There are major points in the story that involve the main character playing arcade games. I don't think it would translate and I expect most of the major events to be rewritten.
    Prathun likes this.
  9. Riou EQResource

You can pick out a lot of game characters in the trailers they have shown, of course it might not be all of them since only trailers, but idk if anyone has like looked over it in slow mo or something to catch them all
  10. Dandy Augur

I quit watching trailers about a year ago (it's been great) so I haven't seen any of it yet. Wouldn't surprise me if somebody has combed through it though.

I found this video but haven't watched it of course. :)

Duder and Riou like this.