Message to Casuals.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Soulsiphon, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Kolani Augur

Oh come on. TLPs are nothing but casuals. You're all trying to recapture the good old days back before having to deal with mechanics made your Velious uberguild fail the second you couldn't figure out how to beat an emote event in Gates of Discord.
    Bailen, Xanumbik and code-zero like this.
  2. TeeEHLpee Augur

That 50-60 will be a huge pain but the ZEM changes will save us!!!! LOL
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  3. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Yep. All scared to death to experience unfamiliar content that they missed out on when they jumped on the WOW bandwagon in '04. It's much easier to just say "all expansions after <X> xpac sucked" than it is to learn something new. Much more of a casual mentality to stay in one's comfort zone.
    code-zero and Kolani like this.
  4. Morbid Journeyman

Maybe not sliced bread, but it will definitely be the best thing since hotdog buns.
  5. snailish Augur

Many players have missed a lot of great content TSS and later.

Many players continue to not give the much retuned (from the original poorly-executed launch) GoD a chance, arguably now one of the best expansions for progression replay. This causes such a player to miss OoW, one of the best expacs of all time (one I hated originally myself, perspective changes things).

In defense of those that haven't tried the game somewhere post GoD-TSS, the game has severely bloated (despite AA consolidations, etc.) to the point that if you come back to the live game, play the tutorial and manage to level up to 85 to do the heroic re-tutorial mini series of quests... you might have a sort-of grasp on the scope of itemization, abilities and such. But, you will have done a ton of content alone (or pretty much powerlevelled yourself in a few hotzones). --basically if you don't get in a good guild for returning types you probably don't stick with it long enough to truly get back to the population because you are lost in a complicated, alien game.

Meanwhile, on progression the game feels like EQ. Albeit with some new warts, the sum of much of them being that it is actually too easy. This is not a call for play on progression to be made more tedious. This is not a call for nerfs. Individual zones need to be made more difficult, acquisition of loot needs to be more of an accomplishment.

Progression does suffer from some momentum-stifling expacs... mostly because the rewards of the content aren't worth sustained effort vs. prior era raid content. Considering PoP-LoY-LdoN as one expac is the first example of where this can easily be solved. There are a few other "not a level cap, not much for the more serious players to do" expacs along the way that probably should be considered one expac era for progression purposes.

Some of the progression servers have strong raiding guild populations, but most EQ servers it is the mostly silent casual crowd that makes up huge numbers. For most rulesets these playstyles can work together fine (remains to be seen if there is any point hardcore raiding into Agnarr's lock... and you would be misguided being a casual player on a racing-unlock server should that ever be done again).

I say this as a person long past my raiding days, unlikely to be able to be anything more than very casual for the forseeable future.
    Ryak, Kobra and Poledo_EQ like this.
  6. code-zero Augur

Obviously there's tons of casuals playing. Otherwise who'd be buying the Krono to pay for items that'd be incredibly tedious to camp even without the overcrowded zones.
  7. Tachyon Augur

These days the old 'who did it first' argument isn't even relevant. I can't even remember who were the top three guilds on Agnarr!

Find a good crew, have a good time!! That's what EQ is about.
    Bailen and OldMan like this.
  8. Febb Augur

You know it! I love competing for the VP key the 5th time with 12 other guilds sitting on spawns and then clearing VP to only find maybe a couple mobs drop upgrades for me. And did I mention epic bottlenecks? And then Velious, man what a great expansion to flip flop back and forth on giant and dragon faction if you are raiding everything. Want to keep a certain faction? Better log off or don't assist on anything that gives bad faction!

Luclin, how about that VT key and isn't that a great zone to clear night after night? And PoP, flagging it and talking with the seer to figure out where the hell you are sounds like some great design. I sure can't wait to do that all over again.
    MaxTheLion likes this.
  9. Machentoo Augur

Don't be absurd. Of the 17 guilds killing in era content in the current expansion on Phinigel, 14/17 would have been considered casual by any standard prior to the launch of Phinigel. Raiding 2-3 days a week at fixed raid times each night does not make you hardcore.
    jeskola likes this.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

He might have meant hardcore play times. I know some people that play very hardcore but by no means are they bleeding edge raiders.
  11. Yemeth New Member

You know, back in the days, hardcore players spent their time in game and not in the forums, guess that has changed alongside many other things.

Good luck with your wishes.
    potatoface likes this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm trying to figure out why you care.
  13. Poledo_EQ Elder

Casuals have the best time. This game has so much for the leveling up experience and those that spend their time, analyzing and planning every second to maximize exp/second are the ones I can't understand. They are the ones that have done this so many times, there is only the rush, and the raid. Then alts, which they'll power level and miss the whole experience again.

I'll play my casual butt at my pace and enjoy the fact that even after 19 years I still don't know every single thing about this game and I don't know every single spot like the back of my hand.
    Ltldogg likes this.
  14. OldMan New Member

I must have missed the part in the FAQ's that said EQ had to be a full time job for you to play on Coirnav. I did miss the part about races and when they unlocked classes so I guess it may be there somewhere. I sure hope the EQ police don't catch my casual butt playing on the new server or they may bust a caps lock on me in general :(
  15. malaki Augur

Who knew different people might like different aspects of a game with many different moving parts.
    snailish and Poledo_EQ like this.
  16. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Anyone who likes what I don't like, and doesn't like what I do like is WRONG and clearly doesn't understand what EQ was originally intended to be about.
    snailish and Poledo_EQ like this.
  17. Risiko Augur

This thread is laughable at best.

Phinigel and Coirnav servers both have AoC instanced raids. That is the anti-definition of hardcore.

Raid instancing is the best thing to ever happen for casual gamers, so this thread is really just mute.
    jeskola, Yemeth and Poledo_EQ like this.
  18. MaxTheLion Augur

Moot. I still agree with your statement though.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and Risiko like this.
  19. tankNspank Elder

Casuals still digging Corinav? :)
  20. Derd Augur

Lvl 6 shammy, yep
    tankNspank likes this.