Problems with boxing, socials occasionally don't fire.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pistols4Pandas, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Pistols4Pandas Elder

I'm running 3 instances of EQ on a single install, on a 3.2ghz i7 w 8 gigs of RAM, 2 gb ddr3? Maybe 4 GPU.

I do see that EQ is running about 80-90% of my cpu and GPU concurrently, ram about the same.

Problem I'm getting is when I key broadcast to all 3 instances, 1 occasionally does nothing, sometimes 2, sometimes all 3. Like I never hit the key. This isn't all the time but maybe 10-15% of the time 1 or more are not getting the msg.

I'm wondering...

If doing 3 seperate installs might pull more or less system performance and help things run smoother. Like maybe this is client-side? Too many requests into game at once.

If I should look at over clocking my cpu or adding another RAM module ( do have an open slot )

If I should Switch from wireless to corded connection, I doubt this is the problem since I ping at 15ms on a 50mb up and down on wireless.

There isn't much as far as in-game setting to improve hardware performance, they're pretty much all set to minimum with very short clip plane.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh I use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software].
  2. Pistols4Pandas Elder

3. Tucoh Augur

I haven't found a way to improve the usage of socials other than to not use mouse 4, mouse 5, and middle mouse click to activate them and to not try using two socials simultaneously.

I also just spam the crap out of socials to get them to work. your mileage may vary!

I'd love if they dramatically improved the social macros in EQ.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

I always assumed that it was not clientside when that happens, but I see how it could be.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Probably better to post this on the Unmentionable softwares forums.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Under Options > Display > Advanced, check the Max. Background FPS setting.

When your toon is in the background (not the current window), they use that setting. So if it is set low, they are "lagging".
    Critts likes this.
  7. Kolani Augur

You've got some issues in the background somewhere if you're using that much cpu and gpu.
  8. Zamiam Augur

maybe get a dedicated graphics card ? but I dont use Intel so not sure tbh..

I run AMD FX 6core with a dedicated 6gig 1060 GTX graphics card and 16 gig ram .. I can load up 6 to 8 instances of EQ with no problems anymore than that it starts to get laggy
  9. Pistols4Pandas Elder

I mean, yeah, that would probably solve it.

But I just bought this comp for 100$ on Craigslist ( a steal ) and I wasn't looking to spend 700-1000$, I would bet you spent even more than that, nice rig.

I certainly have the money... But I don't think I'd spend that to play EQ, not if I don't need to.

I haven't even paid for my subs X 3 for 6 years.

If I don't need to spend money, I don't.
  10. Zamiam Augur

I built my system few years ago (excluding gfx card) for under 500 .. I had a cheap 1gig card in till just recently and when I upgraded to the 1060 it cost $300 just for the card but well worth it.. however I ran multiple EQ accounts even from that 1gig card .. only reason I went to the 1060 was I started playing another online FPS game that req alot more dedicated memory for graphics ..

but imho a dedicated graphics card > CPU/GPU intergrated graphics ..
    and again im not an Intel person so cant say ya or nay to how they perform.
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

It sounds a bit like you might be having this computer issue: http://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/Populareqissues/Windows10Issues/InsaneLag/

You can EASILY run up to 8 instances of EQ on any modern day onboard GPU so that's definitely not the issue. I've done it before & I do it every day on my crappiest comp.

Only thing in EQ you have to worry about is the CPU and RAM. Based on the specs of the comp the OP mentioned it shouldn't lag at all running 3 - 4 clients of EQ.

You don't need to do separate installs, that won't help - it's something with your settings most likely.
  12. Pistols4Pandas Elder

I did have that problem 6 weeks ago and yeah, the game was practically unplayable until I changed those settings. Good tip.

Currently I'm running 3 instances at 30-50 fps and that is playable but I do have the aforementioned problem of socials not firing on occasion.

It does seem to be a performance problem as when my frame rates drop ( rain in zone can do this ), the problem becomes much more pronounced / frequent.

Before using Aye S boxxer I remember the game was barely using the GPU at all, it was primarily pulling from the CPU at 25-30% of cpu resources per instance and only about 8% from the GPU... Now it runs about the same from the CPU but also 25-30% from the GPU per instance.

I currently have EQ running at 3/ -1 cup affinity ( edited the ini file ), this was something I read would help performance, but I'm unsure it's had any / the right effect.

In aye s boxer I've set the game to 60/60 foreground / background fps as the faster the frame rates in my background instances are the more responsive they are to hitting socials, they don't misfire much when frame rates are good. Ive also set ever quests in-game frame rates to 60/60 foreground send background instances as I believe I read they should be roughly the same as isboxxers settings.

It's possible I've set something wrong, I'm not a pro with this stuff I just google and tweak and test a bit until things seem right.

As far as running 8 instances, That has not been my experience, mine is pulling nearly full cpu /memory / GPU running just 3 ... It's possible I've set some settings wrong though. I'll do some more reading, and I really appreciate all the helpful tips and suggestions guys, thank you.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

14. AlmarsGuides Augur

I wouldnt recommend messing with your setting inside Is boxxxer - I've never seen messing with the CPU affinity in there and stuff helping. Maybe others have but never in my experience has it helped and that message you see when launching your team telling you that you're not using your full processor - I've never seen that make a difference using the recommendation or not.

I'd recommend you turn down your background FPS to 30 (at highest). If you leave it at 60 the game will try too hard to reach 60 FPS and you'll end up choking yourself, which could be happening. Turning your background FPS up won't help with the social misfiring, it might do the opposite because of you choking your game as it tries to run 60 FPS when it cant.

So long as you're not at like 5 - 10 FPS a keypress will go through to the client. If you can't get things to work I recommend you read my boxing guides and look at what the other program can do. It has many lag reduction features which will probably fix your problem. If you can't fix your problem you can at least take away so much dependancy on Is boxxxer and make boxing easier for yourself. I also have some other Misc guides for tips on how to reducing your lag/different things to mess with. There's a lot of reading but I feel pretty confident that the guides on my site could fix your problem
    Fanra likes this.