Monk on TLPs?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tammy45, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

To confirm, what you mean is your crit Conflag on Vox with MOTM1 was not hitting as hard as a regular non-crit Conflag on a non-MOTM trash mob, right?

Or did you actually mean your crit nukes on Vox did less damage than your non-crit nukes on Vox? If that is the case I need to fix the calculation :)
  2. Kantsyng New Member

I'm guessing something like the following is theoretically possible

Normal nuke for 999 reduced by 40% to 599

That nuke crits for 1001 so it is reduced by 40% once for being over 1k, then 40% again for the regular reduction. If they are additive or multiplicative it will reduce it to either 361 or 301 depending.

Obviously this is an unlikely scenario but its quite possible that the figures at that level with certain nukes would make a crit do less damage than a regular nuke
  3. Reiker99 Lorekeeper

I believe damage bonus isn't mitigated by MOTM which is why people prefer a fast mainhand vs. those mobs.
  4. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Well I did my math incorrectly, but what Bobbybic said is correct, crits on vox would hit for less than a normal non crit, so however the damage is calculated, it takes a double dip in reduction land for anything over 1k.
  5. Juzam Djinn Elder

A Necro with good gear and the understanding of how to use their dots can compete Classic - Luclin , Falls off a bit POP/Ldon Gains it back God - DODH & beyond. Same with Wiz , but yeah monks are great DPS if you like that play style.
  6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

In summary, every class is OP in current content on TLPs because TLPs.
    snailish likes this.
  7. Guzzle Augur

Necro and wizards can't really compete at high levels of gearing on both sides right now. I think Wizards are in a much better place than necros, but really since Luclin neither has been able to compete for top of the charts.
  8. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Wizards weren't bad in PoP since their Shock of Magic Spell got a post PoP buff. Moving it from a random 1200-3000 (2100 avg) nuke to being a random 2400-3000 (2700 avg) nuke for 50 less mana than original PoP.

The issue with this was the GoD Nukes that came in that were supposed to upgrade wizards were in fact downgrades to Shock of Magic so they really didn't get any gains going up an expansion.

Melee will continue to dominate for a long time. I'd love to see the Necro DoT stack revamp come in at some point and change it up.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Yeah sorry I could have worded it better. Against a MOTM1 target Conflag crits hit for LESS damage than a noncrit Conflag cast on a MOTM1 target.

There is definitely some awkward double-dipping in the dmg reduction formula for anything that hits for over 1k base against MOTM1. I imagine what is happening is what Kantsyng posted above, the >1k dmg reduction is applied on top of the base MOTM reduction.
    snailish likes this.
  10. Juzam Djinn Elder

Maybe like I said in another post mele is just easier to code, fix, update and maintain for dbg. They do seem to take the easiest way out on quite a few things to keep the game going with limited resources,
  11. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Yeah agreed, this has to be correct. Conflagration just happens to be a 900 base DD in classic. Being right under the 1k threshold for increased damage penalty makes for some weird math with crits.
  12. Yruc Augur

Agnarr - Most fights Monk is DPS king.

1. Monk
    2. Monk
    3. Monk
    4. Monk
    5. Rogue
    6. Rogue
    7 Monk
    8. Rogue
    9. Necro
    10. Shadowknight

Another target

1. Monk
    2. Monk
    3. Monk
    4. Rogue
    5. Monk
    6 Shadowknight
    7 Shadowknight
    8. Wizard
    9. Monk
    10. Rogue
  13. Juzam Djinn Elder

Is this healthy for the game lol ? I see the same parses on my server. Probably does not matter much at this point in EQ.. just have fun and play what you like :p
  14. Coppercoz Augur

I’d settle for being a little more durable as a rogue. For a pure melee wearing chain, I sure do feel like a cloth wearer sometimes. Well, sometimes I think cloth wearers do better.
    Niskin likes this.
  15. snailish Augur

So does specific encounters having a melee rune buff on the NPC that only blocks some H2H, 1HB and 2HB damage allow for a surgical adjustment without worrying about throwing anything else out of whack? (i.e., "monkbane rune rank I blocks XXXX damage" and is on classic & early tier Kunark).

Or some other encounter-specific tuning that ups challenge/fun.

I say this thinking the likelihood of sweeping nerfs to monks or melee is unlikely, whereas a simple thing they could put on or not might be more doable.
  16. malaki Augur

This is in Velious? Your wizards are awful.
    Punchu and Bobbybick like this.
  17. -wycca Augur

Necros too.