Who thought that mobs making you drunk was a good idea?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by qucae, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Agree. I identify as a troll and DBG's portrayal of trolls is very insensitive and offensive.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No, no, I've seen that. I meant the forced drinking participation events you were referring to. I've played since 2000, and done lots of quests, but have never seen that. Hence my "must not be that common".
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There have been a few events (maybe just raids) where having a low alcohol tolerance was a drawback. It wasn't enough of an issue to have me max it on my characters. I'm not sure if this one is either. I'm not thrilled with this mechanic but it's not something I'm up in arms about either.
  4. Axxius Augur

Not just the Drunk thing. Trash mobs in the two open zones in RoS (Overthere and Skyfire) are the most annoying ever designed. Whoever created the basepop of these 2 zones went out of his way to piss off as many players as possible. Insane (by non-raid level gear standards) dots, snares, stuns, dots that land thru DA, mobs that blur off mercs. And don't get me started on those @#$*ing drakes in SF!

Somebody really hates pullers, kiters, mercs and non-classic groups in general. Thou shalt facetank everything! Thou shalt worship the Holy Trinity!

Ironically, T2 zones are not nearly this bad. I guess they were designed by somebody else who doesn't share this intense hatred for casual players, soloers and alts/mercs.
    Winnowyl and Sheex like this.
  5. Scorrpio Augur

I recall in days of yore, drinking alcohol gave Str/Sta bonuses for melee classes. Gear was horrid enough that extra +15 or so str actually mattered. But yeah, you needed AT skill to counter the negatives of alcohol.
    I think people started ignoring AT around Luclin, but then LDoN came and many chests were trapped with effect that made you drunk. The skill briefly regained vogue back then.

Oh here's a tip: if you have spare DB cash accumulated or an unused heroic slot, make your character heroic. This will max (for 85) a lot of skills. My heroic mage has like 450 AT.
    eqgamer likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ah ok - when you do this anniversary quest
    you are immediately cast with drunkenness and you have to run to various check points where Tipsy Teena again casts drunkenness on you. You cannot remove the buff. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8163

The other one most folks take a short cut on but you have to get drunk to talk to the guy in POK and others npc thru out the task is http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8025
    Tatanka likes this.
  7. EnchFWO Augur

Maybe I missed the post because I skimmed but has anyone tried using max AT (575) + Beer Goggles (+95 max [+20% AT]) and see if that works...? That is way beyond the 600 limit so it would determine if it is even avoidable.
    Yinla and svann like this.
  8. Goneamuk Journeyman

If you play a game where alcohol is a part, eventually it'll become a factor.
  9. CrazyLarth Augur

I did the the quest in TDS last night where you have to fish lightly drunk and heavy drunk.
  10. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I thought the same thing when I saw the response about only being able to get to 575. I'll deff test this when I get around to killing Vamps.
    EnchFWO likes this.
  11. Mezz Lorekeeper

Yeah I am not a fan that trash mobs have an alcohol attack. I accepted that some name, traps, etc would have it.
  12. Sagarmatha Augur

Just get drunk IRL and effects will cancel each other out.
    eqgamer and Thrillho like this.
  13. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

So even with Beer Goggles I was a lil tipsy after killing a Vampire with an AT of 645. Didn't really notice it much during the fight though.
  14. UncleUms Journeyman

I will take drunk of that stupid silence spell any day of the week.

I have managed to max out my AT by carrying a stack of brews. I just drink one once in a while after every level increase until max. My main and my alts are all maxed or close to it because I have done this for years.
  15. Thrillho Augur

Ze goggles do nothing!
    Fanra and Tatanka like this.
  16. Tevik Augur

It also lowered your int/wis, which amused me.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Mummies should have a "bandage-attack" that would slow/snare you, unless you have 600 in first aid. :p
    Yinla and Fanra like this.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Shows that you didn't exactly "develop" your character much imo.
    Back in my time there were already a few bosses that required you to have high AT.
    And i laid the "groundworks" simply by sitting in the Kelethin Tavern or elsewhere with my guildies during our meetings.
    You CAN "drink" without your language to suffer overly much you know...
    Nothing forces you click the stack of alcoholics until "you cannot drink anymore or you would become intoxicated".

Today, when i fight a vampire, i have no downtime at all.
    It's been a BIT different with the named giant in the FM center fort, his intoxication seems somewhat worse (or he simply lasted so much longer than vampires do today) - but after a min or two i have been gtg again too.

This is some of the worst i've read lately.
    There is absolutely no need for any "exploiting" to raise AT.
    They made that BRD song in EoK for a purpose i'd guess...
    At least there's ONE use for a bard outside of a raid now - yay!
  19. Savager Augur

What song?
  20. Thrillho Augur

It was added in EoK. Can't recall the name exactly - perhaps 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.