Windows 10 & Incompatible GPU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Fyuri, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Fyuri Journeyman

I purchased a computer today to Play EQ. Unfortunately windows 10 does not work with the older GPU in the computer ( Geforce 210 1 gb PCIE? )

The computer is an Optiplex 980, Core i5 660 @ 3.33ghz w/ 4gb ram ddr3 RAM , w/ a Geforce 210 1gb GPU

I have googled and googled and googled, driver upon driver has failed, tried suspending windows updates and using older drivers... just, nothing works. Upon reboot with every driver the computer fails to recognize the graphics card and reverts to some default display driver which runs EQ at like 5 frames per second, completely unplayable. Updating from the microsoft end has not worked, updating from the nvidia end has not worked.

What I'd really like is someone to tell me how to fix this... but I would settle for a recommendation for an inexpensive graphics card that is compatible with my computer and everquest.

Thank you very much.
  2. Fyuri Journeyman

Something else I'm wondering is if installing an older version of windows might resolve this issue and bring the Geforce 210 back into working order. If someone can answer that question id be much obliged, I would bet I can find someone to put windows 7 or 8 on this comp for 20 bucks and that would be faster than trying to ship a video card during the holidays . :(
  3. Riou EQResource

How inexpensive are you looking at? Just off hand without looking fully up, you could *probably* get something like say an nvidia 1050 (released in the past like year) for like 120$ from a place like amazon which if you are prime you could get free 2 day shipping
  4. Fyuri Journeyman

Hi Riyou and thank you for your reply.. I just wanted to confirm, EQ is compatible with windows 10? before I buy another gpu...

By inexpensive I mean, 30-50$ tops.

The last computer I ran Everquest on cost 80$ and ran 3 instances of EQ simultaneously without issue ( and very smoothly ) it was a 2.56ghz quad core, much older than this computer and much slower. So frustrating that I spent 150$ on this and I'm already looking at more $$$ to make it work.

My other option is just to find someone who will install an older version of windows. I called someone local and he wants $100. That seems unreasonable to me. considering ive had it done for free in the past.

Given what local tech support is trying to extort for an older version of windows. I will probably go with a new GPU, but I want to make sure EQ is compatible with both Windows 10, and windows 10 is compatible with the GPU ( it isnt compatible with my current card, which is the problem )
  5. Riou EQResource

EQ works with windows 10 yea, a lot of people play it on it
  6. Fyuri Journeyman

Yeah ok, I talked with a friend... he suggested I take the GPU out and check it, possibly clean the connections. Holy Jesus you have to see this....

[IMG]
    [IMG]

A portion of the GPU Heatsink is just completely gone, I dont know what sort of force could do this...? it appears intentional... nor why anyone would do it. It is certainly not necessary to make it fit into this Computer. But whatever force did this I'm sure broke the unit, a couple of the connection teeth seem to be missing their gold plating @ the end and that's probably why it doesn't work.

Jesus. I cant believe someone would install this thinking it would work. & then sell it.

Anyway, yeah... Looks like I need a new GPU. Suggestions welcome.
  7. Fyuri Journeyman

8. Moege Augur

Looks like someone took a sidecutter to the heatsink, was probably in a different computer where a tall component prevented it from fitting

At the end after the notch ? That is normal, it is to lock the card into the slot.
    One connector shorter than the other also normal.
    e.g
    [IMG]
    svann likes this.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's an old card, nVidia stopped supporting it in 2014. Your best option is to look for a used card if you only want to spend $30. You can easily find an older 600 or 700 series Gforce card for that much. It'll run EQ perfectly well.
  10. Gialana Augur

When I upgraded to windows 10, I also was only receiving a few frames per second. My issue is covered in the thread titled "EQ laggy in new Windows 10 install." You can look in that thread for more suggestions, but these are the steps that resolved the issue for me:

Note that I logged out of the game completely between each of these steps, which was necessary to see any possible effect.
    1. In advanced display settings, I unchecked all boxes except new water in old zones. I still lagged.
    2. I checked both Allow hw Vertex Shaders and Allow 2.0 Pixel Shaders. Still lagged.
    3. I unchecked Vertex Shaders and left Pixel Shaders checked. Still lagged.
    4. I rechecked Vertex Shaders and unchecked Pixel Shaders. Lag was gone.
  11. Fyuri Journeyman

They sell this at Fry's by my house... Any reason why this wouldnt work?

https://www.frys.com/product/7918670?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
  12. moogs Augur

13. Fyuri Journeyman

Ironic, I logged into game to see what effect this had, with the graphics card now taken out of the computer . The game runs smooth as butter with 3 instances of it running at once, using only the onboard graphics. Did not even need to change the graphics setting, it's even running smooth with most of the graphics settings on med-high and a far clip plane.

Thank you for your post, I'd have never logged back in before buying a GPU if not for your comment. Problem solved, money saved, back in the saddle!
    Gialana likes this.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

15. xxGriff Augur

before you install a new ATI card, uninstall the nVidia drivers/software, and then shut down your system. The 240 ATI is a much better performer than the 210. Most people who are not tech inclined only look to a model number and amount of RAM for a GPU. however the memory interface a video card has much to do with performance. nVidia 210 = 64 bit memory interface and ATI 240 = 128 bit. if you can find a card with GDDR5 and a 128 bit interface, you will be much more satisfied. even a GDDR3 would be preferable to DDR3. I have a Zotac GT 240 in my workstation 512m w/128 bit memory interface, and it plays EQ and other games pretty well, even my old ATI HD 4770 512m does as well, both having GDDR5 and 128 bit interface. sorry if it seems too techie, but it makes a difference.

this is an example of a nVidia GT 240 512 GDDR5 128 bit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-GeFor...MI-/263146251922?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
    one last thing, you should also google DXwebsetup, and download it from microsoft. when run, it will download and install files for DX9c that are missing/not included in Win7 and 10.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
  16. toodlem Elder

I've been playing with the 210 and up until today no problems (210 with xp) currently trying to fix device reset error on that machine. anyway the 210 can handle 2 instances of eq but is choppy. Just fyi. I, too, got another machine to play eq... sad we have to do that.