Possible to progress without boxing?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Jtravesty, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jtravesty New Member

Question is pretty much the title. I played eq long long ago when groups were plentiful. Not really looking to have multiple accounts to box (I don't think you can box multiple toons from the same one right), so is it possible to enjoy the game still and progress? Or am I just wasting my time? Thoughts on which classes could do it if I choose to go this route? Thanks for any input.
  2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Possible? Yes, but it will all depend on making friends. If you want to play by yourself, then boxing is almost a must.

FYI, there is nothing holding you back from boxing multiple accounts from one computer, or from using 3rd party software, as long as you play on a regular server. The only servers where you would need to use multiple computers are Agnarr and Phinny.

But even boxing loses it's appeal eventually. What makes EQ fun is the other people you play with, and that's the real challenge. As a new or returning player in EQ, it can be very hard to find other people to play with. On live servers, the vast majority of players are lvl 105 and that means you have 100+ levels to grind through before most players have anything in common with you. But if you put yourself out there, there are lots of guilds that will provide companionship to make the journey worthwhile.

For the record, Agnarr/TLP servers aren't much different. Despite the max level being only 60, your challenge will still be finding a group. I logged in yesterday (with my lvl 60 sk) and went looking for group for over an hour before giving up and going back to my live server, where I can box and have more friends to play with. Even though Agnarr has a higher population than most live servers, if you can't find a group, there is far less that you can do solo than you can on a live server.

Your absolute best bet for finding other players to play with is when DBG releases a new server. That is when all the players are excited and open to grouping with each other, AND everybody is in the same general level range. If historical trends continue, DBG will release a new server sometime in the first half of next year and that will be your best opportunity to play EQ when it is "hot" and fun :)

I'm not saying you should necessarily wait for that, but I am saying that your enjoyment in EQ will most likely be determined by your ability to make friends in EQ :)
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You can only play one character from one account at a time. That is why so many people make a second free account and have the another character on it so they can 2 box. Its very easy. You can play the game solo and have fun and progress but you didn't say what you want to do in the game. There are some people who all they do are tradeskills or just do quests/tasks/missions or achievements , others want to raid. If you have fun you never wasted your time.
  4. Nainconnu New Member

u can play 1 char. from 1 acc. = only for TLP.
    If u wish to play on F2P servers = You can make 6 accounts and play all of them at once. or 3x and 3 merc's :p
    If u start on F2P serv., i recommend you start with a druid first, since he's the best PL'er for all accounts, u PL them so very fast specialy if u begin on FV (EXP bonus + high population
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You can quite easily progress without boxing. As others have stated, when you get to the higher levels it will depend more on having made friends and making new ones to progress all the way. That said, it will depend on what you're expecting to do.

It's actually more of:
    • You are can only play 1 character from one account on any one server at a time; of which there are three kinds of servers: Standard, TLP, and FV-style.
    • Stardard (sometimes called Live) servers are all F2P, allow you to box as many accounts from the same computer as you like, and only the two most recent expansions are locked, and they can be unlocked by purchasing the most recent expansion or Pre-ordering the upcoming expansion.
    • TLP servers all require you to be an All-Access member to play on them and are locked at different expansions depending upon the servers' populations progression through the currently unlocked expansions or other rules that were set when the server launched. They fall into two categories: Original servers and True Box servers. https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-what-is-a-progression-server
      • On Original TLP servers, you can play as many accounts as you like per computer and unlock after the server population clears an expansion and votes to unlock the next.
        • These include Lockjaw, Ragefire, Vulak'Aerr, and Fippy Darkpaw.
      • On True Box servers, you can only play on one account per actual computer you have.
        • True Box servers include:
          • Phinigel (Time Locked Progression, unlocks at predetermined intervals; currently around Omens of War or Dragons of Norrath).
          • Agnarr ("PoP" Locked Progression server, currently only unlocked to Velious(?), but will eventually stop unlocking at Lost Dungeons of Norrath.)
    • The Live servers are all good for playing on, and the xp bonus is a poor reason to choose FV especially for new players, as the FV server's existing economy and dynamics expect you to have large amounts of plat or Krono to buy gear.
    • Start out playing whatever class you have the most fun playing and go from there.
    • Make friends with people who are on your server and go do things with them. It will help you far more in the long run than anything else.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Meant to also include the following between the Standard and TLP server entries, but as I was editing it the edit time ran out; 30 minutes pass by so fast these days.
    • FV-Style servers have incredibly few items which cannot be traded; there are currently two of these servers.
      • Firiona Vie - the namesake of the type of server, it was originally and still is considered the /roleplaying server and has rules that match that ideal; but it is most known today for allowing the sale of almost all items that are in the game.
      • Brekt - this is/was the server which all of the characters created on the Quarm (Event) server were dumped after its run. It also has the rule of almost all items being sellable, but does not have the roleplaying restrictions that FV itself has.
  7. Vannie Journeyman

"The Live servers are all good for playing on, and the xp bonus is a poor reason to choose FV especially for new players, as the FV server's existing economy and dynamics expect you to have large amounts of plat or Krono to buy gear."

This isn't really accurate. Just because a server has an alternate way to get gear, doesn't mean you can't get that gear in exactly the same way you would on other servers. So not only does FV have an alternate means of getting gear, it has an alternate means of making plat (selling your old junk), and you have an experience bonus. FV is actually very new-player friendly. People have tons of gear that can actually be handed down.

If you want raid gear you can buy it, but if you're cash-poor you can do what they do on all the other servers . . . raid to acquire it. FV doesn't have a "messed up" economy, it has a unique economy.

-Vanner
    Zandrath and Tatanka like this.