Please add family friendly features

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Tinytinker Augur

Hi! I would love to see some features added to game to make EQ more family friendly. I'd love to see a stricter language filter and stronger messaging features (/ignore everyone except people on your friends list, /ignore everyone except group, approve add to friends' list request). I don't think kids should see swears and I don't want to see graphic talk either.
    Prathun likes this.
  2. Aurastrider Augur

can always leave general chat. Not that its right for people to use that language but being in general is an option not a requirement. This would cut out a lot of language issues. Ignore also works but in order to do this you first have to encounter said language which does defeat the purpose of the filter. I know it works well for some words but a lot of words do pass thru the filter.
  3. Tinytinker Augur

It's not just general that's a problem. It's also tell and say. My wife had someone swear at her for being afk when they asked for buffs and other people have sent X-rated tells describing what they want her to do.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Oh that is just messed up. Those people I would report because there is no excuse for that crap. I have a general rule and that is if I would not say it to someone's face I wont say it behind a keyboard. Anyone that would walk up to a stranger and say perverted things either has no social skills or is a 14 year old kid with a permanent erection. Either way they need to be dealt with via punishment not filters imo.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Excuse me, Everquest is rated T for Teen.
    Beimeith likes this.
  6. Adonhiram Augur

I want Fennin Ro's graphics turned into a huge cat doing lolcats things when he aoes, his current form looks too devilish, scares the children and shocks as well the pious players :rolleyes:
  7. Bigstomp Augur

I never see that on live servers. Isn't this what TLP servers wanted, an old school EQ experience?
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

Y'all took the bait hook line and sinker.
  9. RandomStrategy Augur

That's because nobody is on live servers :p
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  10. tuttles Augur

sounds like a live feature needs to be mercs that insult their owner when they dont get buffs or when they dont get heals
  11. slayerofbats Augur

This game just needs GM's like it used to have lol. General chat is totally different now to how it used to be. And the stuff people get away with now (deliberate training and kill stealing etc) was not allowed in the past. This game has a crazy catch 22 thing going on where it lacks incoming players because there isn't enough investment in the game, and nobody wants to invest in the game because there doesn't seem like enough potential for it to be worthwhile. So all they do is maintain the servers and let people fend for themselves and occasionally pop out a copy/paste expansion.

It works, I guess. But I think if the game got more money and effort spent on it, it would bring much more back. It would have to be done in the right way though.
  12. snailish Augur

I'm generally happy with the present options, but what you are asking for may not be that much to do:

-stricter language features I suppose you could just feedback whatever word(s) you feel aren't on the list already. Considering it filters out NPC names in The Overthere (those big chickens) it is probably already to harsh for some, but then they can just turn it off.

-Though that raises the question of just enabling a personal word filter (could have the current list defaulted and you can add to it) --though if this is just a readme or some sort of file we already have and could just add to? In other words it is possible you can already do this for yourself, anyone know?

-Messaging features might benefit from some more options. I could see a few toggles being useful: ignore all but guild, ignore all but group, ignore all but friends in the same way we do "show helm" right now. IF this is relatively easy to do, then I have no problem with it as some would appreciate it.

My ignore list on Agnarr is only two spammers long, and I rarely feel the need to leave channels due to content.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

To expand on this, EverQuest contains graphic (albeit old and pixelated) violence including, but not limited to:

1. Ruthlessly murdering animals, people, (including children and the elderly), aliens, and every other type of sentient being concievable.
    2. Pillaging private property (generally after the rightful owner has been murdered).
    3. Terrorism (planting bombs and other traps).
    4. Taking of hostages.
    5. Usage of WMDs (gas attacks, biological attacks).
    6. Unlawful imprisonment
    7. Blackmail/Extortion.
    The list goes on. Each of these and more are perpetrated by the players as part of the quests and storylines. I feel I should also point out that 1-6 are all literal war crimes as defined by the Geneva Convention.

Doing all this is cool, but god forbid someone says a few naughty words?

This may not be the game you are looking for.

[Side note: If someone is actually harassing kids/women/anyone else then certainly action should be taken to put a stop to it].
  14. Tinytinker Augur

I am aware the game is rated T. I don't expect to live in a bubble and have a G-rated gaming experience. I have no problem with drinking, pillaging, or killing NPCs. I know there are going to be occasional swears, bathroom jokes, and players getting annoyed with each other. I'm okay with that.

I used to be in a raiding guild in the past where the language was quite colorful and I'm playing Fallout 4 right now, while the wife and the kids are out.

What bothers me is if someone takes it upon themselves to be in your face vulgar or racist. It's not acceptable in my book for a random person who doesn't like boxing to send my kid a tell, saying they're reporting him for his boxing f**kery, or for someone to say harassing things to my wife, because she didn't buff them when she was afk. I'd appreciate having messaging features in place so I don't have to deal with that stuff.
  15. Jaxarale01 Augur

This is what they invented /ignore for.
    Use it...
  16. Tinytinker Augur

I do use ignore and I also report people, but I prefer to save the Daybreak employee staff members' time and features like /ignore everyone but people in group would save me from having problems to begin with. The feature would be optional for people to use, so if someone didn't want to use it, they don't have to. The idea does run counter to the spirit of a social MMO (anti-social, anti-community), so I can see why some people don't like it. However, an anti-boxer sending my kid a tell saying they're reporting him for his boxing f**kery isn't social now either, is it? And neither is a necro telling my wife that if she wants a levi he'd like to see her get on her knees and scream for him.
  17. Jaxarale01 Augur

I get it, but that is the entire point of /ignore. What you are describing is why it is in game (that and spamers)
    So you want to save DB employee staff time by having them re-code the communications set up?

I think you will find that /ignore is going to be the only option you will have and being offended because someone says something to your teen in a teen rated game is going to fall on deaf ears...

/shrug
  18. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Why not just hide all text communication channels - Tells, shouts, OOC, Auction and Group on your kids' character(s).

I assume you're in the same room as them and since you're mostly the one they're grouping with they don't really need text communication?
  19. snailish Augur

^Darchon's solution works in the meantime.

one chat window is group, and remains open.

second window is the useful combat messages and such.

Filter everything else to a window and minimize it. Then /ooc, tells and such aren't seen.

In-game toggles would work too of course, but this self-made workaround would take a few minutes and create the bubble the OP seeks. /say might be an issue, for quests and such (out of game at the moment and not remember if npc speech and pc /say are filtered as separate things).
    Tinytinker likes this.
  20. Tinytinker Augur

Jax, I think we're not going to agree on this and just have to agree to disagree.

For me, a stronger messaging system would be worth it and the issue isn't that someone was rude to my kid in a T rated game. I don't like harassment or in your face rudeness period, no matter who it happens to or where it happens.

My wife and I are adults and some of the things people have said to her have really crossed the line. She did not appreciate being told to get on her knees and do sexy things to do that guy.

Thank you for the advice Daldaen and Snailish. I'll double check the kids' computers.