Euros playing on US located servers: any issues with lag/latency/ping?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Sep 23, 2017.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Hi,

Sorry if I missed out on this topic, have been AFK from the boards for some months.

With the issues on AB, AB players being offered voluntary moves to Vox, and AB and Rathe having a good number of Euro players, I was wondering about the different options.

I am speculating that the reason that AB has hosting issues is that it is not co-located with the other servers, and therefore at some point in time spawned a configuration "split" somewhere in the technology stack, that is too costly to properly fix and maintain given the small euro player base, and also prone to reappear. Emphasis on speculating!

I am therefore considering whether a coordinated move of both Euro servers to US based hosting, either as a single server, or even better, on an existing US server with a strong player base and culture (assuming that it is possible to scale an Everquest server to a relatively high population, which I think is becoming more possible as the years go by and technology improves).

I would really like to benefit from the effort being applied to the US servers, AB is a great place culturally speaking, but not so much with regards to hosting-related problems.

One of the many prerequisites for this is that it would actually work for the player base, that they would be able to raid and perform at par with US players. Hence the question in the title of this thread:

Euros playing on US located servers: any issues with lag/latency/ping?

any and all comments on these issues are very welcome.
    Maedhros likes this.
  2. Maedhros High King

Finally a reasonable person. Goodluck!
  3. Repthor Augur

i play from EU. i hardly lag unless everybody els lags (server lag) my normal ping from where im located is 190- 210 ping (i play from Sweden) the high ping dosent effect me at all. im a tank that is relaying on mostly instant trigger spells and aas so some small delys in connectivity isent noticeble . for me. im not sure how this whould effect spell casters
  4. smash Augur

However the thing has never been about lag on US servers. But about coming to a server as a society not as individual persons.
    And have to set up houses, guilds manually.

The things should done like the 2 servers that are being merged
  5. DamnataAnimus Elder

While not European I AM Australian, so it's a similar distance to the US (actually a fair bit more, 1500 miles or so). My average ping to LA is 200 to 250ms depending for comparison.

In all the mmos I've played, which is most, the only time it's mattered has been when it's a action mmo such as neverwinter wildstar, tera and similar.

For tab target mmos such as eq1/2 wow etc it makes nearly no difference for pve. Pvp it does but even so you can still be reasonably competitive.

At worst you will encounter stuff like warping in that your client shows you being out of danger but you die anyway and your body is nowhere near what you saw on your client just before you died. This was common for action mmos.

For the rest I've never felt at a disadvantage. Often I'd do better than a lot of US players. Not sucking makes more difference than 50ms on your ping will :p
  6. Schadenfreude Augur

For reference: on AB (not logged on for six months ago or so but I don't imagine the base ping has changed any) my ping was 20-30 and on FV it's a minimum of 170 and sometimes nearer 200.

Zone times are much longer and during periods of extremely heavy keyboard mashing I get a lot more 'busy' messages about how I am already casting a spell or abilities either not being ready and/or not triggering when I activate them. This means I have to pay a LOT more attention to hotkeys to double check something has fired than I ever did on AB. It's not ideal but you learn to live with it.

Outwith raids it's a complete non issue.
  7. Yawn... Journeyman

Euro player here.

Ping is around 250, which isn't too bad and completely acceptable for a game like EverQuest--it's no first-person shooter.

I have noticed some lag, though, and I wasn't sure if it was my ISP or not. But, as an FV player, I do sometimes have to wait seconds before the server registers I have done something (e.g., /who, opening a door, etc.), which doesn't reflect the 200ish number you get in the green connection information text on the top-left corner.

So...yeah.
  8. Kantsyng New Member

I play on Phinny from the UK and lag isn't an issue in the slightest. EQ isn't a twitch game so 200ms doesn't really matter
  9. Horyuken Augur

I was in North France for a family deal, the cottage we had rented had no internet. I used my ATT phone as a hotspot and had zero issues raiding Korsha Lab. My ping was maybe 600 max. Keep in mind this was a cellular connection and not hard wired. We also have a member who plays from across the pond and I don't think he has many issues.