How do shaman solo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vontod, Aug 6, 2017.

1. sifonin Augur

Bro, wtf is mini torpor?!
    nostalgicfool likes this.
  2. daffie999 Augur

3. nostalgicfool Augur

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=3694

I actually went to 55 (since once you 43 you can join GE groups and it s fast xp till at least 55) too fast to quest it, it was on my list of things to do. But when i was 44 the idea of dying there was very un-attractive since getting a cleric to travel there was unlikely. People report quest to be easy to solo, but i advice you to try to get a cleric doing temperance quest or some other class wanting to quest its LoY spell (probably most classes do have a spell).

You could also get blood of nadox, again better if you can get a duo or trio for it.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

You can go all the way to 65 in GE if you want.
  5. Vontod Augur

Thanks for all the input. To summarize:
    -shaman can solo, but it is slower than other "solo classes"
    -once geared/with torpor, shaman can solo mobs that other classes can't via face
    - shaman pets are more dots than anything

What about grouping dynamic? I leveled a necro to the mid 40s, but don't remember many shaman in groups. Not sure if that was due to a lower population or people avoiding them. I do recall a few shaman healers, but not many DPS shaman if at all. Do they get any updates to grouping in Kunark? Do people generally only take them if no clerics are OFF?

How does the shaman compare to beastlords with grouping/soloing? Do beastlords solo faster, but easier mobs? Are they more welcome in groups as better DPS/same-ish support as a shaman whereas a shaman isn't best at anything (group related)? I know Luclin is way off, but just wondering.

Thanks,
    ~Von
  6. Strawberry Augur

Shaman are a grouping class, pure and simple. They are incredibly useful to groups and raids.

The harder the content becomes, the more valuable a shaman becomes. Slow isn't necessary early on in EQ, but it becomes a must have later on.

Shaman simply have the best slow in the game, they provide stability and survivability to a group. They are NOT a personal DPS class. They are NOT invited in a group to do personal DPS.

Shaman also excel in melee groups because they give melee classes melee procs, they boost the DPS of melee classes a lot. And they have haste of course. Shaman their epic 1.5 and 2.0 is arguably the most powerful in the game.

Beastlords are much better soloers than shaman, the beastlord pet is much stronger than that of shamans, and beastlords simply put out far more personal DPS. Beastlords are handy to have in a group, but they are not nearly as essential to a group as a shaman.

Shaman play a pivotal role in groups and raids, they are one of the most important grouping and raiding classes.

If the beastlord class was removed from the game tomorrow, EQ would just go on like normal. If shaman were removed from the game tomorrow, it would be chaos. The game is built around the power of shaman slow and the DPS they give melee classes in groups and raids.

correct
    I woulnd't say that, shaman are never good soloers imo. Shaman aren't that great at face tanking either, they can do it, but they have nothing on SK or Paladins vs undead. Shaman simply aren't great at soloing, they simply aren't.

correct

shaman aren't a personal DPS class, no one will care if a shaman dots or nukes at all, shaman are in groups to slow, debuff, patch heal or main heal, and to help out melee DPS

they providy stability to a group due to their slow, debuff, HoT and boost melee DPS

a group simply gains a lot of defensive power thanks to the shaman, shaman also increase group DPS, shaman excell in harder group content, they make groups more stable, they provide survivability

The reason you don't see many shaman so early in EQ is because they can only be made from specific home cities and their slow only gradually gains power.

No. Early on in EQ you simply can get away with not having slow, the more you progress in EQ and more expensions deep you are, the more slow becomes essential. You simply can't easily do some content without proper slow later on, so you would take both a cleric and shaman often.

beastlords solo considerably faster than shaman

Beastlords are welcome just like any other DPS class is welcome. They are non-essential.

Shaman DO do something no other class can, they have the best slow in the game.
  7. elebertus Journeyman

Soloing light blues/blues:

Cast poison dot
    Send in doggo with taunt on
    Start meleeing / slamming
    If mob is blue and not a caster, probably slow it
    Recast dot, or downrank disease dot and pull with that
    Click inny snare neck at 50%ish (Skip this step if you made a poor decision at the character creation screen)
    Finish with melee/pet
    Let aggro bounce between you and pet, if your health gets below 75% let the dog tank for a bit

Basically nothing is as good as necro for solo. Shaman are a close second. You can also just dot and root. Realistically the only thing to solo in classic are seafuries and hill giants. Both of which you can annihilate with pretty much no downtime. Make some c pots, make some greater rejuv pots and go to town.
  8. WonderBard New Member

With a necro
    Jebasiz likes this.
  9. Vontod Augur

When do slows become essential? I remember way back on live, pop and beyond, mobs needed to be slowed or they would chew through tanks. What about Luclin? I'm talking group mobs and not raid. I guess I want to know when the game changes from the healer/dps/tank to healer/dps/tank/slower... I would like to be wanted in groups instead of a sub par healer.

I ask because, for a group, wouldn't a beastlord's slow be just as effective? I see that it's almost the same at 65, and I remember names only being able to be partially slowed.

~Von
  10. Semah Augur

Canni shamans solo? Yes they canni.
  11. Machentoo Augur

If your shaman isn't doing massive personal dps on top of also everything else shamans can do, you just aren't playing the class to its full potential. Their dots in current state make them very high dps. If the group is killing mobs too fast, they should be pulling an extra mob here just for the shm to dot down.
  12. Machentoo Augur

What expansions do you think have content that currently requires a shaman+cleric? That maybe once was true, but there is almost nothing that actually requires more than just a shaman for heals/slows now, from Classic up through CoTF or so. Maybe if your group is awful or terribly geared for what you are trying to do.
  13. Veleren New Member

Anyone saying shamans aren't great soloers has clearly not played with the new dot changes. VoS is so powerful now, when you get it and a good few levels after it'll kill a light blue mob all by itself. It's much more efficient than e bolt too so many keep using it later.
  14. Zinth Augur

so many ways to solo with shammy, keep ya defense skill up... slow, dot, sic pet, melee on... heal as needed... or just root rot... or hey get a grp! groups love shamans but soloing is good too, it helps maxing out those other skills not used much in grp
  15. Erydanadyre Journeyman

The strength of shamans is soloing things that hit very hard and/or summon, especially in tight quarters. It's not fast or efficient, but if you can slow it, you can kill it.

It requires some gear and planning, but at level 60 in mostly kunark gear (epic+torpor) i was soloing guardian wurms in Skyfire. Also killed a couple ice burrowers in WW by myself, although those were extremely difficult.

Root-dotting is a way to kill mobs, but i personally prefer slow-tanking. The pet acts like an additional dot and (most people laugh at this) shaman melee isn't so bad either. All damage adds up. In classic through luclin, i wore a haste item and kept haste up and killed everything with a 2 hander + dots. Herbalist Spade during kunark, Facesmasher during velious and a combination of Facesmasher/Sunbeam Staff (vs undead) in luclin. After getting Dark Mace of Thought in VT, i switched to 1h melee and tried to kill mobs with mana so i could proc the mana tap off of the mace. Coupled with Canni AA, Canni, and torpor, i basically had unlimited mana.

Soloing as a shaman isn't elegant like necros, the kings of efficiency and speed, and you can't burn mobs like a mage. When you're level 60 in kunark, you can't single-pull Emp Chottal room in seb like a necro and clear it with a record time with mana to spare. You're going to most likely burn the pet, trying to franctically get everything slowed, be almost oom and have to use epic dot to slowly wear the 6 or 7 light blue skellies bashing you.

But it's doable. And once it's done, you recast your pet, canni up and then you sit and wait. Because when Emp Chottal pops, as a shaman, you can actually kill it.
  16. daffie999 Augur

Holy crap... still so much wrong information here. Shamans can solo extremely well and efficiently. People saying otherwise are lying or doing something wrong. Or perhaps I was just the most amazing Shaman ever from release > PoP, on live, and in classic on the TLP.

Your pet CAN tank SLOWED mobs easily in many situations. You will often be better of using the pet as a quick taunt to set up dots, root, then back pet off.

What it comes down to is simple... Shaman can solo well enough and are best known for soloing mobs who summon. There is a whoooole of of missing context for any other soloing that is done which will cause people to give you different answers. Is the room split? Is it undead? Is it charmable? Efficient XP? Safety? Gear req? Epic? level? Outside buffs? Each class has strengths and weaknesses that can change from time to time. Necros can actually be better/faster at soloing summoning mobs in certain places when they can fear.
    Ckador likes this.
  17. jhaimes Lorekeeper

I know this is about shaman solo but if I paired the shaman with a necro how well could that duo do for the life of Agnarr?
  18. Vestra_Cazic New Member

Its been a long time but I remember having a Jaundice bone bracer was a big key to soloing, long cast but mana free 450dmg nuke. Find a spot where you can use pathing to your advantage ( side stepping causing the mob to run away and find a new path to you ) and nuke away, or root nuke root nuke etc. Worked well till about PoP
  19. Ckador Augur

Agreed. TLP forums are Chock full o'Bads.
  20. nostalgicfool Augur

Actually got a burning affliction item, and with virtue on and pet properly buffed (and geared) i can probably kill mob in BoT, and i may even handle two if lucky on root/slow (trying not to think about healer mobs) ....

But given the group bonux xp it would be silly, yup +225% for 6 and on top you can get decent loot....

I also find it annoying since i don't have pet affinity (and swift like wind duration sucks) and so pet must be buffed separately. But i enjoy duo/trio and all my buff but one are groupwide so why i would i solo ?

I understand that you may want something else than the 6 man game, but then just find a mage he will be really happy and you can really do ton of things with just 2 peoples.