Is exp supposed to be very slow?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by microscope, Aug 8, 2017.

1. microscope New Member

I levelled up to 80 the hard way and it was going ok mostly, and then I had a free heroic character so I skipped ahead 5 levels and remade my guy as heroic. I got the J5 merc right away and then for the last few weeks I've been doing the Feerrot quests. I started at 85 and have now finished all those quests and I am still 85! I only died a few times and my merc rezzed me so I am not losing any exp, I just don't get much for everything I do.

When I turn in a quest that took me ages, I only get about 3mm of blue exp. So after completing maybe 15 quests I only got about quarter of a level, and I grinded another half a level but it is hard work. I had a group a few times that killed a lot of mobs, but I was only getting 1 blue tick of exp per kill, so I would need to kill around 30 ish for 1 yellow bubble of xp, which even in a group seemed to take a while, especially seeing as the camps only had about 6 mobs and then we would all need to med and the camp would respawn again. And these are white and yellow con mobs that are hard to kill. So I've soloed, grouped, and done all the quests, and still not even made 1 level yet, is that right or is my exp bar bugged or something? :p

Maybe I should start all over again with a Human character? They get faster exp than an Iksar?
  2. mackal Augur

Quests are not how you level in EQ, gotta kill mobs!
  3. microscope New Member

Ahh ok thanks! I'll just setup a camp somewhere and grind it out instead of wasting time with all the questing.
  4. mackal Augur

well, since you're a heroic toon, the hot quests give you some sweet augs. I would still do the quests though, but you're gonna have to grind for XP :p
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  5. microscope New Member

Thanks :) I got all the augs, have a whole bag full now! But I figured I should save them because I think I will upgrade all that heroic gear soon. I already upgraded a few pieces from the nameds I killed while questing. But I'm gonna focus on grinding now, I just want a few more levels and then I'll do more questing.
  6. Scorrpio Augur

While quests do give out some nominal xp and/or AA, their real purpose is progression, faction and rewards you might get. (augs. RkII spells etc).
    If you are mainly solo/molo, your best bet is check with Franklin Teek in PoK for current hot zone for your level, accept his tasks and go there. Kills will give better xp and getting those tasks done will earn you a bit extra. Also you run better chances of landing a group there.

But the truly insane xp is in heroic adventures (HAs). Instanced tasks offered to groups of 3+(counting mercs), and levelled to highest player present. Clayton Teek in PoK daily offers bonus on two random HAs, and if you can finish them, the gain is very nice.
    Once you get down the flow and the tactics of an HA, a level a night is very doable. I.e. my lvl 94 druid boxed with a 98 chanter gained more than half a level in about 2.5 hours. And it took that long cause two of the HAs were not familiar to me. Gribble in Dead Hills offers a set of most straightforward, easy HAs, so he is especially popular. I also like Rozz in Neriak, Magla in EWK and Shadow/Ambassador in Bixie Warfront.
    Plus HAs reward alternate currency (i.e. marks of valor) you can use to upgrade your gear and the mercs.
    microscope and asfasfasfasf like this.
  7. Scorrpio Augur

Do stick those augs in, you can always buy distillers to get them safely out when upgrade time comes. IIRC heroic augs take a class XII that costs about 56p.
    microscope and asfasfasfasf like this.
  8. microscope New Member

Hey thanks for the advice, helps a lot! I have a whole bag of augs to put in my gear now, that should make me feel tougher :) And I'm gonna check out those HAs. I did try to do that Gribbles thing a few times but there were always high level people in the zone so I was scared to do it because I figured it would scale to the level 105s and it would be too hard for me?
  9. Treiln Augur

Scale to the highest person in your group who has requested the task/mission. Not in the zone :)
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Don't forget stat food, some is cheap like boiled raxil fish or easy to make yourself and can add couple hundred hit points to your char. I found the HA from Marla in Tainted West Karana were better suited for me, they just seemed easier and I leave the named alone.
  11. Cats Meow Journeyman

The gribbles Heroic adventures are by far the fastest and easiest HA's to do. The experience is really good for completing the quest.

Here are two of them that I've done before so you can see how easy they are. When you request the quest in PoK, Clayton teek will teleport you to gribbles who is located in a safe spot.

Into the hills:

Scouting ahead:

Disrupting the Ritual
    Sarayani likes this.
  12. Treiln Augur

Outside of HAs, the quickest way to get exp is chain pulling/killing. Being able to kill a mob, and have another one right at you/your group ready to be attacked (or already being attacked by the groups tank).

Nonstop slaughtering until someone needs mana/endurance :)
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just to clarify you actually get the task from the NPC in the various zones. What Clayton Teek offers is a bonus task and it changes daily so you may not always get Gribble.
  14. Scorrpio Augur

I actually don't think I EVER got a Gribble from Teek... anyways, when you request an HA, and say whatever the trigger word is, you are going to get ported to a small instanced section if the zone. Only people in there will be those in your group who are in on the task. (You can add/remove people to the task up to a certain point)
  15. Cats Meow Journeyman

Ahh, you're right CatsPaw. I use whatever Clayton Teek is offering in the dead hills to teleport me out there then I run over to Gribbles, LOL. I can do 2 gribbles in the time it takes to do one of the other HA's out in the dead hills.
  16. Cats Meow Journeyman

Be careful of taking the Neriak 4th gate Heroic adventures. One time I took the one from Lark call the "Toll road" and clayton teek teleported me to the zone and quest giver, but the problem is the level 100+ mobs pathing through the area killed me before I even zoned in.
  17. microscope New Member

These posts all help me a lot! Thanks!
  18. Gialana Augur

The OP may have already figured this out, but at least the CotF HAs can be requested without a group. I've been able to get one with a single character, even without a mercenary. However, it will likely be very challenging and time-consuming to do an HA solo or molo.
  19. SomeEQGuy Elder

I used to root rot one of the gribbles (scouting?) on my shaman. Only named and a certain mob type at the beginning summoned (drop and get another if that type is there when you zone in.) Took a while but was low risk and not difficult.
  20. asfasfasfasf Augur

Thanks guys :) I have now done all the of the Gribbles missions! The exp is pretty good. I am sure it is amazing if you can do them fast but I am kinda slow so it takes me a good 30-40 minutes to do most of the missions I think. Feels like that anyway. But the chunk of exp makes it well worthwhile.

I read that the first mission from Captain Russell Cooper is good as well but I tried it today and my god... It took me about 2 to 3 hours, no exaggeration. I think my characters are not very fast at killing stuff so I just had to plod through, 1 mob at a time, and I have to make sure I split the pulls carefully so I only get singles. Also there was a big bad named and I tried to kill him twice and wiped. I probably wont do that one again until I'm much higher level. I'll just stick with Gribbles, and I'm gonna do some time in House of Thule which I haven't seen yet.