Kill-stealing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by abq1972, Jul 18, 2017.

1. abq1972 New Member

So as a serious question, is kill-stealing not frowned on these days? We spent hours camping a mob, only to have an waltz into our camp and kill the named the second it popped.

So far my experiences coming back to EQ for Agnarr have been somewhat positive, but I've seen more than a few farmers pulling like this. Is this the new norm?
  2. DariyaVika Augur

It's the farmers. They absolutely don't care about their rep, and most of them are never going to farm anything beyond group content stuff that can be sold for kronos.
  3. Phantom Ghost Augur

Can we make a new rule? Permaban when you create a topic about kill stealing or camp stealing... or at the very least type up a very long agreement, take screenshots of it, so it cannot be copy/pasted, then force the people who post about these topics type out the agreement, exactly as written and they cannot log in until completed. Also, make sure it doesn't hint to which part they typed wrong, so they are sure to know the rule by the time they can log in again.

Throw some extra . And , in there, maybe a capital letter so one person cannot type it up and let all these guys copy/paste it without figuring out what minor change is different.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

How else will I know that it has been 2 days? At this rate, I know there is only 1 more KS thread till GoD launch!
    Asiema likes this.
  5. Asiema Elder

Be wary also of losing camps.

Was my understanding it was common to have to evac in Hole to fetch said rep group member if they had no way to make it down to your camp alone. We left to fetch em, a guild group moved in on our camp with no camp check called, so we came back...told em it was ours and then they continued to sit next to us and split the camp...I mean atleast they didn't bother our pulls but...yeah...other players in zone even pointed out we had been there for a few hours. No rules on actually claiming spots within a zone so once again, I know they did not technically do anything wrong, but in the sense of good sportsmanship it was crappy.

KSing happens...again, not against the rules, so...make the most out of the rest!

Its just a game, its still fun, just doesn't always go your way...so...just like life! Enjoy the 95% that is a blast, and just brush off the 5% like this, that just points out that people aren't perfect nor all good mannered and respectful.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

TDLR: Nobody owns any kills so killstealing is impossible.
    Risiko and code-zero like this.
  7. Asiema Elder

True Bobbybick, just like in real life.

Not against the law to do a lot of things, but its frowned upon when humans do not follow the assumed course of action within society...like saving your kid from a fire instead of yourself, etc.

There is a right thing...and there is a wrong thing...course, its also a video game so...I don't think its a full reflection on someone in real life but does say a small amount about their character

So you know...there really ISNT such a thing as "Killstealing" but...you get the idea...there is a silent, unspoken code of conduct among most players.

Just like there ISNT KSing there also ISNT camp claiming....there are NO camps actually..that is a player made concept so again...only reason why you get to yell CC? And then name your camp and feel safe...most of the time...is because players created this code of conduct to not screw each other.

Then you get the ones that just don't give a flip.

Some obey laws, some don't

You cannot do anything about it, so you just move a long and enjoy the next session, these moments are not common or the norm. Not for me atleast, you'll be alright! Promise!
  8. darth_void_ptr New Member

Rare spawn camping & the associated KS drama was apparently left in game for those wanting the true eq 99 experience. iirc, that was what classic was all about, anyone who says otherwise is either trolling or wasn't paying attention. This could be fixed by simply taking those rare-spawn mobs and making them spawn frequently. The krono value of these items will trend to 0, and since most of these players are popping in while they main on Phinny. Hanging around is going to devalue their purpose.

Seriously, the only people still playing this game are adults, and waiting 15 minutes for something to spawn IS very long. At 50, there's not a lot of fun to be had other than doing quests which revolve around rare spawns, or raid. With all the mob camping, the former is an option only for those that can get a guild group together to macro up the target and mash buttons for 4-6 hours. Ain't nobody got time for that.

This is a gameplay element that is broken in that it is driven by players motivated by money, not gameplay.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  9. frankie78227 Augur

Agree 100%.
  10. Guzzle Augur

It has never NOT been the "norm". Getting KS'd sucks, but you'll live. Either out DPS the competition or move on to another spot. Everquest has ALWAYS been a competitive game, if you don't think so you have either always been super casual, or just looking back through rose tinted glasses. Guilds would block other guilds from raid progression intentionally before instancing was in game, which is basically just high end "KSing".

Kill-stealing doesn't exist, DPS racing does. If you want to play first-to-tag, go play WoW.
  11. Reht The Dude abides...

Part of the problem is too many people come back expecting the TLPs to be exactly how they "remembered" (which is often wrong) classic being and then get salty when people don't follow what they feel the rules or standards are/were/should be.
  12. MaxTheLion Augur

I agree. We should have commands to /spawn "named", /level ##, /acquire "item" and then at the end of the day /uninstall since we'll have everything given to us that there is no point to play the game.
    Ming Tee likes this.
  13. code-zero Augur

In any event, first to tag is going to go to whoever has the lowest latency every time so that's something totally outside of the players ability.
  14. Illusory Augur

Why do you people ignore the other 10 posts about kill stealing and create a new one?

There are literally 5 at the top of the forum!!!
  15. MaxTheLion Augur

A child that cries long and loud enough will eventually have an adult come check what is afflicting it. They make multiple posts with the intention of making it appear a larger problem than it actually is.
  16. Illusory Augur

We all know that only works with companies like Blizzard.
  17. Progress Augur

Kill stealing and camp stealing is a huge issue. Just because DBG doesn't recognize "camps" has nothing to do with the fact that the majority of the game base DOES recognize camps. If DBG would take a little initiative and squash these unruly players it would be a good step towards showing the majority player base that DBG cares about this game and its players.
    Montag likes this.
  18. MaestroM Augur

I don't want a no-KS rule.

Not because I want to KS people. Not because I get my jollies off of beating other people to pixels.

A no-KS rule is a rule that has to be enforced. Which means I have to run fraps or take screen shots and use /report and hope that the evidence that I can gather is sufficient to prove I was right.

That's dumb an inefficient.

A better solution would be to add an additional flag. Right now, if you do > 50% of the damage, you get exp and loot (if available). Just add an additional flag that whoever is first to damage/engage (we can have a separate discussion over which is appropriate) gets loot and FTD/E + >50% damage = Loot and exp.

I can't imagine this is a heavy lift for their coders and it gives the result that the community wants (no KSing).
  19. Ming Tee Augur

So instead of whoever does more damage it's whoever has the fasted spell mem'd? How would this stop people from sitting on top of named and tagging them while a full group is killing in a camp?

Edit = just thought of the best method, we hook up to our computers like the matrix and the game will know whoever sees the mob first and will then give the right to kill it to that person.
  20. welly321 Elder

Even on a "camps are enforced" server like P99, that would be acceptable. You guys forfeit the camp when you leave it.