What is the point of tlp's?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Rothj Augur

People dont want a locked server because it will be boring to be locked into pop. However, tlp servers generally die off no matter what after god and omens of war.

Realistically most people are just wanting a tlp that goes up to pop then a new one that comes out immediately after right? might as well just do one every year
    Tudadar likes this.
  2. Philss Journeyman

I think its the concept of Fresh start and everyone start at the same point . Its working for many game including mmos . I have been playing an arpg game called path of exile for 4 years now and this game start a new ```league`` every 3 month and theres always ton of hype each reset . tons of ppl playing and then it dies off after 1-2 month and we start again in new league .

Theres is just something exciting about starting fresh , everyone is playing , easy to group etc .
  3. Finley Augur

At the end of POP on Vulak we had two guilds raiding. On Phinigel I can't even list all the guilds killing Quarm. It's safe to say what happened in the past may not be indicative of what will happen on Phinigel thanks to instancing. We don't know when Phinigel will fizzle out and die; but it doesn't appear to be any time soon.

Also, Agnarr is the first of it's kind for an official TLP server. But P1999 and the Mac server have both shown that era locked servers can be incredibly popular.
    Miss_Jackie and Aenvar like this.
  4. Machentoo Augur

This is often repeated but still not true. Previous round of TLP's had a strong population through DoDH at least. A big part of the attrition at that point comes from spending four straight expansions at level 70, with no aa's for half the expansions and not much content. Daybreak has taken steps on Phinny to correct that by accelerating us through those. So, we'll see how it plays out, but we could end up with a strong population much further into the expansion run than any TLP has seen before.
  5. Communist Puppy Augur

Removing voting helps quite a bit too, as for both fippy with the failed god votes, as well as ragefire with the failed velious vote(or 6 months of kunark vote) massively lowered the population. No expansion should ever be 6 months or longer, if anything hurts a server population, its longer unlocks opposed to shorter ones.
  6. Montag Augur

They need to nerf OoW like literally weaken all the mobs so it doesn't drive away the casuals.
  7. Raltar Augur

I like the TLP because it lets me experience all of the expansions I missed after LDoN because that is when I originally quit. I am looking forward to doing content I never got to do at level.
  8. Ultrazen Augur

I *will* get every class to max level and BIS on agnarr. I love playing alts, and it's awesome to have a server locked at a loop where there are going to be people leveling alts and groups available probably at least for a year.

It's fun to start over, it's fun to make new friends, it's fun to have a ton a people around to group with, as the best thing about EQ is the social aspect. They key word in all of that is fun, something I find sorely lacking on the live servers because leveling up is a boxing single player ghost town sort of experience. Agnarr is all the best things about EQ, love it to death, best and most fun I've ever had in EQ.
    Aenvar likes this.
  9. Machentoo Augur

When was the last time you played through OoW?

They have...
  10. -wycca Augur

This. OoW is snoozefest. The raids are all pretty easy also.
  11. Lankie Augur

Casuals are locked in PoP
    Raltar likes this.
  12. Montag Augur

I wish Agnarr was 4 or 6 months instead of 3 :(
  13. AgentofChange Augur

What is the point of any game?

You ever see those losers that play sports? They never even get expansions! They do literally the same thing year after year after year. Crazy! Why do they bother. Who knows.
    Miss_Jackie and klanderso like this.
  14. MaestroM Augur

I made this comparison a few months ago and I was surprised that people pretended not to see it.
  15. Phinny4Life Lorekeeper

So funny though b/c Ragefire was released with having those long unlocks and "omg the community wanted this thank you DBG for giving us this!"

1 month later - "Can we have Kunark now?"
  16. Communist Puppy Augur

Not to sound condescending, but it sounds like you havent played on any of the past daybreak TLP's, only something like p99. The sad reality is that especially with the faster exp, there really isnt much to do even if you are making alts. All of the old quests that used to be considered hard can now be done with at most 1 group. With walk throughs and common knowledge on so many events being what it is, it is not hard to do almost anything with low numbers just because there is nothing new that you need to be worried about happening.
  17. frankie78227 Augur

I thought the point was to sell krono, xp pots, and bags.
    Rhodz and code-zero like this.
  18. Gemini Syringes Augur

Some people (like me) are waiting for a Phinny ruleset with fast experience. That happens? I reactivate a lot of accounts and have a blast. In the meantime, I play one or two accounts sporadically and then give up from boredom.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Personally, I wish Kunark would have unlocked after 1 month. I have nothing to do for the next 1.5 months except farm gear (which pisses off EVERYBODY) and raid the same 6 events/zones over and over during the 9 or so hours each week that we aren't locked out.
  20. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The first week on Agnarr was awesome. Literally one week later, level 50 toons had taken over all the camps and the griefing began in earnest. Most games are more enjoyable when players feel they are on equal footing with other players, not when lower level players are forced to compete with higher level players for resources.

Interestingly, this new Star Trek game opens a brand new server every week: http://startrek.gamesamba.com/

I'm sure that has it's own downsides, with no lasting legacy or permanence. But they get to offer that new-server experience, with equal footing for new players, EVERY WEEK!

I think the biggest problem with EQ has always been the limited in-game resources. Private picks, private servers (p99, anybody?), etc. are what players really want. We want to kill mobs, not wait in vain for level 50 campers to hopefully fall asleep.