Does this scenario result in a ban?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nestharus, Jun 14, 2017.

1. nestharus Journeyman

I was with a group in FP. We were fighting. All of a sudden a BM train rushes in. As the remainder of the group is dying (I had died first), another group pops up. We go back to FP and DPS race them since they are lower level to take the camp back. They bring in 50s and begin dispelling our pets, nuking anything we pull, and dotting our pets after dispel. They then proceeded to train us a second time with bar room + top of tower, wiping us out yet again. The rest of the group left. It was just me. I refused to give up the camp. I then continued to pull, trying to "solo." I was a terrible puller. The pulls ended up agroing them because they were still in my camp. After 4-5 pulls, I gave up trying to solo and went back to lfg. They started recording from my first pull back to the camp and reported me for training. Keep in mind that I also told their group leader ahead of time that I was going to continue to solo and that my pulls could end up very badly and that I was not going to give up the camp quite yet.

Does this result in a 48-hour ban?

Note that I believe that they got their entire group, their guild, and the entire zone to report me as training.
  2. Rhodz Augur

Pretty much for what an IMO is worth
  3. nestharus Journeyman

So group wipes out another group by training and dispelling so that they can take the camp. When the last remaining player of that original group continues to solo in there, that player gets banned?

Sounds like legit justice.
  4. Rhodz Augur

You been playing this game long enough to know what you were doing just based on how you worded things. Meh easy to get ticked off when things go against you best thing is to log a while and cool off, otherwise you might do something that may seem reasonable to you but not to everyone else.
    Heck we all have done similar at one time or another, just keep calm and do not generate any more grief for yourself.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Took me longer than I care to admit to realize you weren't grouping in Freeport's newbie yard.
    Boosi, Superdeath, Pikallo and 6 others like this.
  6. nestharus Journeyman

No, I would repeat what I did every single time without fail. Sounds like I should just be permanently banned then.

If people want to train and wipe out my group and all, fine. I reserve the right to continue attempting to solo the camp they tried to train me out of. If that involves a few bad pulls because I am such a terrible player, so be it.
  7. Rhodz Augur

If that is the way you wish to play your game it may well either by rage quitting or ban.
  8. Tinytinker Augur

First you post that ridiculous thread about how you can't get a group for 28 hours. Now you make this pointless thread. Are you trying to get people to dislike you so you will have an excuse to quit?
  9. MaxTheLion Augur

This is the current state of affairs. Mr A. comes to the forums to weep and reports Mr B. by stating Mr B. is "harassing" him and "stealing" his mobs even though Mr B. is doing everything well within regulations. It turns out Mr B. is sick of the hand-holding and also happens to be a better forum warrior and EQ lawyer than Mr A. Now Mr A., who thought he was protecting EQ from the evils of Mr B. reaps the consequences he thought he was inflicting on the other.

Mr A. and Mr B. are fictional character and in no way am I implying you are either or did anything wrong. I'm saying that when people were complaining on the forums and were told by others to adapt, they were told to shove it. "This isn't the way things should be" and they were going to white knight everybody into being proper. Reality is much more cruel and the wolves will continue to conquer the sheep.
  10. Tevez Augur

I used to know a Miss B, sadly she was only in it for the honey...
    Reht likes this.
  11. Leftharted Elder

Well, given your story I don't think it Should result in a ban, But... Possession (or, Proof) is 9/10th of Law... So, you might be SOL without any pudding.

That being said, personally, EQ is a hobby.. A pass-time... When I run into similar situations, I tend to just bow out and reset elsewhere, even at my own expense.

I catch enough stress over RL, I'm not going to add to that via Everquest.. Even if it means leaving when I know I'm right.

Just my 2c..
    Rhodz likes this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Did you actually get a 48-hour suspension?
  13. Risiko Augur

So, lets translate this in to what actually happened based on what you said and what we all know about Everquest gamers after the past seventeen years...

1. Some max level people were bored, so they decided to make alts to power level.
    2. Being the ubers that own the server that they are, they consider all "camps" theirs
    3. Your group was in their way, so they trained you with one of their alt-monks (login, train, logout)
    4. They moved in to the now empty spot where your corpses laid bleeding on the floor and began pulling for their alts group
    5. Your group comes back from the wipe and battles for the spot
    6. They bring in their big guns to teach you a lesson about messing with the aforementioned owners of the server as they swing their 10 foot long epeens around the room bashing in to everything along the way
    7. Your group says to hell with it and leaves
    8. You gave your typical "I'm not training you, but you're about to get trained" speech to the other group
    9. You intentionally pull more than you can handle, so you (air quotes) die ooopsy and giggle to yourself as the horde of mobs kills the other group
    10. And, finally you come here to complain that you got reported for training.

Does that sum it up? I bet it does. In fact, I am thinking there is a 99.9999repeatingofcourse% chance that it is exactly what happened. Why? Because we've all been there before.

You got owned by ubers. Come to the forums to complain about it just makes you look worse.
    Superdeath and Your_Ad_Here like this.
  14. Trizek Augur

What you did can result in a suspension yes (even if it was an accident you didn't mean to train them with your pulls). What they did also can result in a suspension (from what info you've given us anyways)

The problem here is they have video evidence of you. And you have only words of them.
  15. Myth Elder

dispelling mobs is a nono claiming all camps in a zone is A nono
  16. NoWay Augur

Heck even game parse show what spells are cast, at least add this to the petition.
    Better yet have a video program running to catch the next train they throw at you.
  17. Jarith Lorekeeper

It comes down to if the potential consequences are worth it for you to do something or not.

Trying to argue a moral high ground is rough as the other group may have 4 bad apples that instigated this and 2 "innocent" people trying to get them to stop within group or unaware of the whole thing. Or you could get other unrelated players caught up in it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a vindictive person myself and would probably seek to make sure they didn't get the camp either.

I wouldn't view it as being a justified action though and merely for my dark amusement. If it resulted in a 48 hour ban that's fine too because it was worth it to me.
  18. Piku Elder

You make it sound like it takes skill to be good at EQ. Oh my poor, sweet child...it just takes time. Time and a bit of luck on camps.

Oh yeah and having a 10 hour head-start when no one else could get in helped too
    nostalgicfool and Punchu like this.
  19. Risiko Augur

Interesting. Exactly what part of my reply indicated that to you? I'm intrigued.
  20. nestharus Journeyman

I haven't gotten a 48-hour suspension as of yet. It is very rare for me to do this and I am normally really nice : ). I do stand up for myself and other people though, so if people are mean enough, they can push me to do stuff like this >.<. Normally it just ends with them getting no mobs, but again, if they continue to escalate and start resorting to wiping out parties with trains, I respond in kind : /.

I don't go reporting unless people are actually cheating or are actually doing what I consider to be harassment (following me from zone to zone and training any group that I join for example or purposefully chasing people across the zone, carrying a train behind them).

At the end of the day, these tactics have always been part of the game and I haven't changed as a player since I started playing a little more than 16 years ago. I continue to talk to a person's guild (though less now since now the guilds themselves are actually lead by scumbags), talk it over with them, and fight for a camp when somebody attempts to invade. That fight will only escalate as far as the invader takes it, up to and including training each other and dispelling each other's charmed pets.

What I don't like is when people will train you, dispel your charmed pets, and then cry to DBG when you respond in kind. People like that have absolutely no decency. Although I guess if they are resorting to these tactics in the first place, we can only expect that they'd have absolutely no honor when the players they are attacking defend themselves.

To date, I haven't been banned for defending myself against griefers using the same tactics that they utilized to grief me. However, it could always happen. As we all know, these griefers often have recording software running so that if their victims retaliate, they can attempt to get them banned for the ultimate in griefing.

The community is more toxic than it has ever been in the past. I remember when I was at frenzy and later hamlord camp, I had to have dispel up constantly because enchanters would always pop in and begin waiting for the named spawns.