Wife wants to try EQ

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Yruc, May 26, 2017.

1. Yruc Augur

My wife wants to try out EQ. She is a complete noob and has never played a game like EQ before. She basically just uses a tablet / e-reader and is not real computer literate, so will be slow in learning. I just recently came back and my old guild is gone. So I will start a new character with her and level with her. My question is, do you think it will be better to start fresh with Agnarr and be able to group and meet new people or stay on my old server where I can twink out our characters but no real grouping ?
  2. Vizula-Emarr Elder

I would give agnarr a run since it will be far more socializing. If your gonna hook her, she needs more than uber loots :)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Iyacc and Bailen like this.
  3. Brohg Augur

The other thing about Agnarr is characters there don't have many powers, compared with Live ones :p Some auto attacking or spellcasting, about it for the next several months:p
  4. Aurastrider Augur

I would vote against agnaar for a new player even one who is new to the mmo genre. For starters it would be safer to go to live and utilize mercs. They are not going to complain while your wife learns the ropes. People are going to expect people they group with to know at least the basics. If she is thick skinned she will be ok but if she gets offended easily I imagine someone is going to comment on her lack of skill or knowledge. After she learns the ropes with you and a couple of mercs then you could consider Agnarr or stay where you are at and continue to grind. On a side note your a lucky guy. I tried for years to get my wife to play.
    code-zero, svann and moogs like this.
  5. Forcer Deathmagi Journeyman

I wish i could have a wife that plays games lol
  6. Bailen Augur

I'd go with Agnarr or one of the other TLP servers, if they have a lower level population. People are not that surprised to see players who either haven't played in a long time or are fairly new to the game at the lower levels. It'll give her a chance to experience the game with other players right from the start, which for a lot of people is the biggest attraction for MMORPGs.
  7. Treiln Augur

Try a live server first. Let her get the hang of the game where things can just be handed to her while she's learning.

Not sure if the slow take off of Agnarr would get her hooked or not. Instant gratification could help. Once she's got a few notches under her belt, then take her to a TLP where you can be more social :)
  8. Anhari Augur

Go live first so she can work her way through the tutorial (not available on the TLP's). Once she gets the feel for the game, and how merc's work, then play a while on the server but DON'T tweak her for a while. Let her learn her class first. Tweaking and Power Leveling is a dis-service to a complete noob. Once she is comfortable, then decide if you want to go All Access and play on Agnar (or other TLP's). I think going this route will be much better for her psyche, and her enjoyment of the game.
    Geroblue likes this.
  9. Yruc Augur

Thanks for all the suggestions... She started to create a character, but didn't finish as I don't think she liked the graphics and she really didn't have her heart into it. I think she only said she would try it just so she could say she has. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
    thanks again
  10. Geroblue Augur

I tried a get one of my relatives interested a few years ago. He felt somewhat lost. Turns out I had picked up more about the game than I realized. He was used to clicking and the character moves there. I am used to using the arrow keys to move a character.
  11. Scorrpio Augur

As a thought, if you think she actually does want to try an MMO, I suggest Lord of the Rings Online. Great graphics, real user-friendly quest system. It might hook her better.
  12. Anhari Augur

I think LoTR is Free 2 Play as well, so the cost to play initially will be negotiable.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

If you don't mind paying for the accounts and her changing her mind, then I would go with Agnarr, but be ready to play at her rate and don't expect to zoom to the top. Help her learn the game and have fun. If she's having problems be patient and help if she wants help. With the server being capped at PoP era (will also include LoY & LDoN), you have plenty of time to explore the world. If you both get to the level cap there and she gets bored and doesn't want to raid you, both could come back to your home server and twink her a character up to 65 fairly quickly.

Your relative might have done better with a properly set up gamepad (one with keyboard emulation); I used one for several years and did rather well. After I got used to the game and got to the point where I was chatting in game a lot I got away from using the gamepad.
  14. Geroblue Augur

I got him to do the tutorial, which he was bored by. I told him it was to help him learn the game. I even buffed his character with one of my clerics. He works more than one job now so he wont have time to play for now. He doesn't go ito detail, so i have no idea why he stopped playing, other than he did.
  15. OssOr New Member

I played Rift with my girlfriend many years ago. Now i came back to mmos with EQ in Agnarr. She has been watching me play some (will join me as she finishes something she is doing this month) and most question she is doing to me are related to what other people are doing and why.. I think that shows a lot the importance of not playing with a merc alone. I don't think you learn to play EQ with a merc, sorry but it has nothing to do.
  16. Yruc Augur

I do have 2 accounts and that was the plan, I would only play 1 character with hers and have my other character to play. But I see the benefits of doing both (Agnarr vs live) which was why I started the thread, hard to make the decision...

Going to the live servers for the tutorial - easy to learn, nice why to demo the class at low levels, can make it easier to level with buffs / equipment / coin etc - we'd make our own group with 1 merc each and have fun doing what we could do maybe once in a blue moon find someone to group with.

Agnarr - steep learning curve to class / locations and harder to level / get equipment / coins / buffs etc - I'd help her and group with her and after she got the hang of it easily add peeps to group with - Once she gets into it, I think it would be more fun for both of us to interact with real people - that is what EQ is a social game...

She did shock me on Sat and say she *might* really give it a chance at some point, but I'm not gonna push it, I'll just continue to play and tell her how much fun I am having... maybe it will draw her in.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions