Something doesnt feel the same

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sctt033, May 25, 2017.

1. Sctt033 Elder

Maybe the rose tinted gogs are off but some thing doesnt feel right about this server.

Despacito
  2. Sdoofbuc Augur

Which one? This forum is about all of the TLP servers for EQ.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Maybe its all the 6 boxed mages doing simultaneous pet attacks.
    Strawberry and Amnilarch like this.
  4. Leftharted Elder

I agree..

But I attest it to the wife, kids, house, and stress I've accumulated in the last 20ish years... Assuming your comparing to the ole nostalgia feels.
  5. jeskola pheerie

For some reason, logging into Everquest doesn't make me feel like I did when I was 23 years old playing on a pentium with dialup. It is probably DBG's fault, or Brad Mcquaid's.
    Drusi, Prathun and SevrinSevendust like this.
  6. Arakash Journeyman

While it is certainly true that you "can't go home again," it is also true that Agnarr is really just a shell of the way EQ was meant to be played.

Ignoring the professional RL money players, the biggest issue that I think will ruin the server, at least until the last expansion comes out, is the fast exp. rate. The classic exp. rate would have been a better idea simply to slow, and even make secondary, the whole idea of leveling up as quickly as possible.

Everquest was meant to be savored, like a good steak. Immersion comes with difficult travel (see boats) low individual exp. rate (to boost grouping), quest completions (made worthwhile by exp., treasure and companionship) and above all friendships. The mechanics of the game now, with the exp. rate set where solo play is not really a burden to gain quick levels, contributes to the game being fundamentally gulped down like a dog eats a steak. And that's how people are playing the game.Folks are just blowing through the levels (there are probably level 30's running around anon as I type) for what? Other than the pro's I don't really see the point until Scars of Velious comes out.

Anyway, it was a good try and Agnarr may even be an interesting server a few months after PoP comes out and all the creepy server first crowd have gone away. Until then it will probably be a crowded but lonely place.
  7. Amoeba Augur

My hope is to enjoy seeing some old stuff again. Enjoy playing some classes. I might see about actually joining a guild sooner rather than later this go around.

Can't really recreate the old days, but can still enjoy this.
    snailish, Senadin and OssOr like this.
  8. Febb Augur

The game has evolved. Just because you like to play it a certain way doesn't mean everyone else has to play that certain way.
    snailish likes this.
  9. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

They tried slow exp on Phinny. It was still about double the rate of what the game originally had in place, if memory serves. People absolutely hated it. Phinny was a great server the first few months when I played. Assume it still is. The exp rate was the single biggest complaint.
    snailish likes this.
  10. Gemini Syringes Augur

This isn't for you to decide. I'd never tell you how to enjoy EQ and you shouldn't tell others.

These are your opinions and they're valid (to you). But to me, they're just noise. Let's be honest--did you see how some of the playerbase reacted to a few hours of downtime during a server launch? Many of the boats are broken. Some barely operate at all. And you think they'll be totally fine with drowning in OOT and being TPed back to bind a few times a month when they cannot handle a simple delay at the start of the server? Nah. TPs generally don't malfunction. They aren't as flavorful, but once you've stood on a boat for 5 minutes, you've done it. It's not all that interesting. What's interesting is getting to where you need to go.

I don't find excruciatingly slow experience to be immersive and I fail to see any connection at all. Immersion is game flavor, not numbers. Quest experience was nerfed into oblivion because some people cannot help but cheat. It's unfortunate, but there's not a lot of options here. The rewards are sometimes still worth it though.

I agree that friendships are nice and I've made a few over the years.

What's the point of leveling very slowly? You don't need one. You prefer it. Well, I prefer fast experience. Who cares why? Just a difference of opinion. This is a casual server though, so the rules are casual. I wouldn't be here at all if not for he fast exp and I assume many others would take a pass was well. Phinny is excruciating for alts. That's not fun to most people.
    Drusi likes this.
  11. Stigmas Elder

You just gotta relax and let the server age a bit. I think a huge number of people came to have a casual and interactive EQ experiance, but the presence of all these hardcore Krono farmers that don't talk to anyone and steal camps is throwing it off.

Phinney had a much softer start because they hadn't perfected boxing on the true box rule set yet.

Once people start guilding up and interacting more, I think the community will become much better.
  12. Arakash Journeyman

Everything you wrote is true except that Agnarr is supposedly a way to experience EQ as it grew over time. Everything you wrote points to the live servers. I mean, if you want to level quickly just go with a 'Heroic character.'
  13. Goodnews Augur

Chances are you're witnessing near the worst the collective EQ community has to offer since its creation.
    Addicts, career players, krono farmers and abusers are all here in fanciful colors. Add in the cultural changes over almost the last 20 years and yeah, its no where near what it used to be.
    Treesong, Malachi and Piku like this.
  14. Strawberry Augur

Boxing and Krono farming had a very negative impact on EQ.

The audience 15 years ago were mostly college kids, stay-at-home moms, people who played for fun. You had roleplayers, you had many casuals, you had people who just came to socialize, you had a family atmosphere.

This is no longer the case on TLP. Early TLP still had some of this atmosphere, but TLP have more and more become about who can beat the classic - PoP content the fastests before dumping the server and trying on the next one. It has become a rat race.

Today there are many players and guilds who take this game way too serious. Yes, they existed in the past too, but not in these numbers. EQ used to have people from all walks of life.

The demographics changed, on TLP you have a lot of middle aged men with lots of disposable income, willing to box as many characters as they can handle to get an advantage over everyone else. Willing to use hacks, willing to use exploits. This further marginalizes the few casual and social players.

Even though the expansions are old and have been beaten a million times over, there are a disproportionate amount of power players on TLP. It's not about nostalgia or having fun for for these players, it's about who can beat the content the fastest, and then they all move to a different TLP. In the meantime the TLP and economy on TLP gets kicked around creating a cut-throat server with inflated prices and a lack of community.

I read a guild wants their players to play 20 hours a day until max level, you see people boxing mage armies of 6, you already see korno farmers.

The krono farmers are far more ruthless than the chinese plat farmers who played when everyone else was asleep.The krono farmers are from the US instead of china, and they use more hacks, they have no issues using automation, they organize in underground forums, etc.

Then there's the fact training isn't punished at all anymore, so the ruthless cut-throat behavior is actually encouraged.

The casual and healthy atmosphere of the past is gone.
  15. Vandross Lorekeeper

Post a video with some evidence of 'simultaneous attacks' and maybe someone will believe you. As a 6 boxer myself playing legit with only 2 mages I find what you're saying extremely stupid.
  16. Strawberry Augur

OssOr likes this.
  17. Ellise Journeyman

Here, this should fix it.

18. Machentoo Augur

Doesn't currently work on Agnarr currently, nice try.
  19. Tomlyn Drayke Journeyman

I was about to say....

You have group perfected lev on Agnarr!!?? WTF!!
  20. fragtasmo New Member

I think what it boils down to is there are a few of us, myself included, that can't give up on the idea of EQ when it first came out. The community, the game, everything about it now is entirely different. Now the game being what it is on Agnarr has potential to still be fun, but DBG era EQ players don't share the same mindset or play-style. They want EQ to be a single player game like all of the other MMOs out there currently. Closest we'll get is P99 but it stops at Velious, which I'm cool with but my hay-day was Luclin era. And it has its own share of problems that may be game-ruining depending on what you want to do. So it goes.