viable paladin

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by markkk, May 16, 2017.

1. markkk Lorekeeper

will it be hard to to get a group as a paladin i have played one for years but later switched to a warrior when mercs came out,i plan to play on agnarr.
  2. ayoforYayoh Augur

Unless you're just exceptionally bad then you should be showered with love and groups in all of your Agnarr days.
  3. markkk Lorekeeper

thanks lol
  4. Trizek Augur

Do your best to hold Agro is all I can say.
  5. Meekom New Member

Go Sword&Board and you should be able to tank just like warriors in groups (with better aggro), so you'll be just fine :)
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Starting out i would take a pal over war easily... how will a cloth tank do anything?!
    Delphwind likes this.
  7. Wolrok Elder

Flash of Light does an excellent job of making things mad, and PAL gets it at level 2.
  8. Acen Elder

Everyone loves a tank on TLPs they are snatched up faster than most classes. Especially one that can rez.
  9. Delphwind Augur

Paladin's are very popular at the beginning of a TLP. They can fill in as healers when none are around, or very easily tank with their superior aggro.

Stick to the lower level spells such as Flash of Light, and Cease even after you get the bigger upgrade stuns. Those two spells alone will create enough aggro for you to hold threat up to max level. Just don't pull with Flash of Light .. mobs tend to run off in random directions when you blind them on incoming.

At level 23 you get your first summoned hammer. This is a great boon for a new TLP as it's a magic weapon (allowing you to hit those pesky mobs in Unrest) and against undead is a 10/29 weapon, which is VERY respectable for a newbie at that level.

A good Paladin will never, ever want for a group.
  10. Chaosflux Augur

With how bad sword and board was pre hopebringer + shield of strife this isn't good advice for the group game.

Paladins don't get Cease till Luclin if other TLPS are indicative of what's going on Agnarr. Everything else was solid that you said tho.
    Delphwind likes this.
  11. Wrankled Lorekeeper

I'm tempted to roll a female erudite paladin just for the novelty of being a unique race/class combo. Paladins are fun to solo with...if you're twinked. Starting from scratch might be a huge pain. May need to box shaman to simulate being twinked.
  12. Wolrok Elder

Paladin gets their first hammer at 14. 6/32 magic, 9/32 vs undead
    Delphwind likes this.
  13. Delphwind Augur

If you plan on playing a paladin on a newly released TLP server, you should never have to solo.

Stick to the main zones, sit in peoples camps and assist via heals/aggro/damage until a group spot opens and your reputation will quickly spread. You will never want for a group as a well played paladin.
  14. Catashe Augur

And if your not careful can make for some VERY interesting times ;)
  15. Chaosflux Augur

Get level 20, Get a BABS or camp one

Flash of light/Root/Stun your best spells followed by heals, especially since the level ranges got adjusted.

Try and keep an old heal and a new heal up, the older heal usually casts faster then the upgrade and can be used semi proactively or while tanking.

Don't suck and you will get groups and frankly with how rampant chanters will be you'll hardly ever have to tank, because charm pets usually do it better in the pre Luclin game.
  16. Meekom New Member

It's more for bash and increased AC, you don't HAVE to be a damage dealer as the tank and it helps to be a bit tankier
  17. Chaosflux Augur

Sorry but I disagree, with how mobs are compared to actually doing this in era, I don't see much of a point to be "tankier" once you are well past the survival threshold adding more rankings at the cost of dps is imo wasteful.

If you are below that point, I totally agree with you.

Plus the fact 80% of your grouping is going to involve charm pets (or atleast mine did on RF/Phinny), which are naturally going to end up tanking, just because it's more efficient.

Don't get me wrong I kept a sword and board in bags and could quick swap, but outside of a couple key times that stick out in my mind, it was 2hander all day erryday.
  18. twoelevenmonk New Member

So it seems the consensus is a shaman makes a better duo partner with a Paladin than a druid. Simply because of slows? I feel like ports will be very valuable.
  19. Wrankled Lorekeeper

+ the added utility of haste and other buffs, plus not having the mana issues that druids have. Ports are just a time saver.
  20. Trevalon Augur

Paladin/Shaman > Paladin/Druid by quite a bit if you ask me. Slow alone makes that duo much more powerful.

Paladins are great and I would take a paladin to a group over a warrior anyday and in some cases a SK as well (though I generally prefer SK to Paladin for the extra dps).

Raid wise Paladins find raids pretty dang easily cause there are not alot of them and most guilds want at least 2 or 3 - LoH is pretty dang powerful :)