WHY do people not box in this day an age???

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Baselisk, May 3, 2017.

1. Khaliss Augur

Ain't that the truth! I don't know why people who hate boxers somehow don't get this... the logic & common-sense behind this fact isn't that hard to grasp.
    Baselisk likes this.
  2. Illusory Augur

Nothing started and I don't argue with people that illustrate signs of selective reading.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

You are such a hypocrite man. "I only run a second account to get rot and provide support". Wtf do you think box characters are? They provide support and are used as mules. So its ok for you to have the support of a second account in terms of their abilities such as ports, buffs, tracking and so forth that your main would not have but anyone else that does this is a cheater? Lets not even get into the financial advantage you have by doubling your bag space to carry all this "rot". If the second toon does not see combat there is no reason for them to get no drop gear and if your giving them "rot" without exhausting all other resources to give it to another player in the game that can use it your no better than anyone else. I am guessing you "Always" announce rot in guild chat, then /ooc and then general and wait until the last couple minutes before it rots before you give it to your box toon?
    Khaliss likes this.
  4. Illusory Augur

Ever heard of the term, contextomy?

After you look it up, please understand that the rest of your argument is much the same.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  5. Khaliss Augur

^Aurastrider... just ignore him man, he ain't worth the time. Haters gonna hate, no matter what.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

How did I take your post out of context. I hit reply and did not alter "YOUR" words. You stand as one of the holy crusaders against boxers and yet you just have this mule on a second account that you drag around which provides you with absolutely no advantage?
  7. Illusory Augur

Okay, I'll bite just this one time.

You didn't quote just once, you quoted twice and on your second quotation you changed my words to make a definite non-contextual statement.

My original statement,

"I run 2 accounts on Phinigel myself, but I help fill real groups and my 2nd account only gets rotting items. He's a support character to help whenever needed."

You twisting my above statement,

"I only run a second account to get rot and provide support."

Those are YOUR words and with that second statement YOU are out of context. Never did I tell you that he was just for rotting items and support. You in fact twisted what I said to try and bolster your own argument - which is trying to call me a hypocrite.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

There was not fact twisting at all. You said "my second account only gets rotting items and he's a support character to help whenever needed." I said " You only run a second account to get rot and provide support" which is stating the same thing you said. Just because its not the exact same words the facts are still the same. Submit this to any English major and I am pretty sure they would agree.

Now as far as the highlighted "just for" what else would you use this guy for unless you are in fact boxing? I am pretty sure you are not just having him tag along for the heck of it. Lets call it like it is. Either he is "just a mule, port bot, buff bot etc." or he is a combat box. What other possible reason would anyone have for lugging around a second toon? Either way you are a boxer and therefor should probably delete that second account if your so against boxing.
  9. Kallitank Elder

My other accounts are only support and played when needed too. I'm a special boxer just like Illosury. We're non-boxing boxers. I can play multiple characters and still feel okay saying people who do that are cheaters and have an advantage. ( done with this thread fellas, no progress to be made here).
    Khaliss likes this.
  10. Valyn New Member

These for me are spot on as to why I personally dislike the full group boxers specifically. For me it is about the balance. If you want to bring a support character, then I am 100% for it. But if you want to make your own group and do the three things above, then you are harming the play experience of others.

Consider the first few weeks of launch. There are going to be a ton of players scrambling for camps and picks and zones. There are only so many spots to go for the mainstream player. If you are a min/max six boxer taking up all of undead side in Guk, then you are harming the ability for 2-6 others to find a camp. If players can't find a camp, then they log off. If they aren't having fun by finding groups and players who speak with them, then they log off.

If a players enter into the repetitious action of logging on, not being able to find a camp, and logging off, then they quit. Players quitting is bad for server health. Ironically this is what, in my opinion causes players to box to begin with: group flexibility / independence.

Do I believe that a boxer is the sole person responsible for all of the above? No. Said player who does not box COULD find a less populated zone, COULD solo, COULD start their own group, etc, etc. But we are talking about the average player / less than average player who may not know how to do those things. For me the answer is a simple one, if a group space isn't filled: box it. If someone in your guild logs on and needs a spot: invite them and drop a box. Communicate well; be polite.
  11. Khaliss Augur

I also called him (Illusory) out several times earlier on his posts, and he claims my responses were out of "selective reading". Look, you can try to twist it like Kellyanne or Mr. Spicer, but you won't ever be as convincing as them LOL #AlternativeFacts101
  12. Tachyon Augur

I've boxed many times over the years and gotten all out of it I can. There's very little from Classic to Omens I haven't accomplished multiple times. On these newer TLPs I play to meet new players and relive old content.

I didn't solo at all on Ragefire or Phinny, and I played a Necromancer. There were always groups to be found and on the rare occasion when there wasn't I logged for the night and tried again the next day.

The simple answer is I don't box because I have no need to. It wouldn't add anything to my gaming experience these days. I have no problem with people who do.
  13. Illusory Augur

That is NOT the same thing and I've explained why. You don't need an English major to point out such an obvious grammatical inaccuracy. In an odd turn of events, your question below solidifies my point.

I use my alt to help out during guild groups and raids. He's flagged up to the elemental planes and can help get our members into those desirable zones if needed. He's also used when we need additional bodies to piggyback for raids. He has other uses, but those are some of the primary reasons why I maintain a 2nd account.

I never said that I was against boxing, that false assumption was made by Khaliss and he suffers from an odd form of selective reading.
  14. Aurastrider Augur

I agree with a lot of this as a boxer. After all most if not all of us boxers were non boxers at one point in our EQ experience. I understand the struggles of the group game which is why I turned to boxing in the first place. In the early days people would have to sit and wait for a spot to open up in a group. I remember sitting at the entrance of PC for some times hours for a bandit camp to have an open spot. If I was lucky I could kill that lonely mushroom while I waited. Fast forward a decade later and you have the opposite problem of there not being enough players to form a group on a regular basis. Obviously a persons playing time and level impact this. I play during the middle of the night which has the lowest server population. But this is just my reasoning for boxing to show an example of why some of us started. I have tried to play just one toon but I get bored. I am so use to multitasking that playing one toon just feels incredibly unproductive.

I think some kind of middle ground could be reached that might help everyone. They could implement a no box rule for say a two week period on all servers when ever new content is released/unlocked. This would allow the non boxers to advance through the first couple of zones without the added competition. Once the boxers are released they will catch up and probably rather fast but it will at least give the solo players a head start.
  15. liveitup1216 Augur

Illusory don't bother man this is a troll thread. It asked why people don't box and then when you give an answer its nothing but ad hominems and strawmans. These people are just looking to pick fights. This thread should've been locked a long time ago.
    Illusory likes this.
  16. Khaliss Augur

sorry, but how are we trolling? We "boxers" are the ones are being very civil and reasonable in explaining our stance and "why we do it". All we get are constant attacks about how we are "cheating" with no real logical explanation as to how we are breaking the rules. Why can't we just all get along and play this game without getting all the unnecessary aggro?
    Aurastrider likes this.
  17. Baselisk Journeyman

Party of solo players or the party of boxes - play the game the same way and have all the same things available no one has an advantage. This is actually fact not how someone feels about it.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Nice try.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  19. Kicking Snake Lorekeeper

Because ppl don't like to get punched in the face
  20. Aurastrider Augur

haha well played