WHY do people not box in this day an age???

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Baselisk, May 3, 2017.

1. Baselisk Journeyman

So we see like a thousand and one post about why do people box.
    I want to know why don't you box

I don't see people actually soloing in the teams of solo.

Solo doesn't mean having an extra account not grouped but used for buffs.
    Solo doesn't mean asking other high level players for buff to level faster
    etc...

All these people calling out boxers when they should be calling themselves out.

Are you really a soloer ? And why ?
    SevrinSevendust likes this.
  2. liveitup1216 Augur

Because paying more $$$ / krono to give yourself more power is shockingly called (in any other game)... Pay-to-win?

I prefer to not cheat.
    Delphwind likes this.
  3. Baselisk Journeyman

So you have never bought Krono ? - to support the game - or atleast have you subscribed to support the game ?
    Is Krono not a product of the company - why is this cheating ? very weird answer or your just trolling
  4. Zansobar Augur

EQ is a social game, not a solo game...if you are boxing you are doing it wrong.
    Haladan, liveitup1216 and Delphwind like this.
  5. Machentoo Augur

Lol. It isn't cheating when the server description explicitly allows boxing. Sorry, you don't get to make the rules for other players, the people who run the game do. Boxing has never been considered cheating by Verant, Sony, or Daybreak in the ~18 year history of the game.
  6. Baselisk Journeyman

So then you never solo in the game ?
  7. ayoforYayoh Augur

You either think how I think or you're wrong.

Let's make everquest !
    Baselisk and Machentoo like this.
  8. Mowens Elder

Can't tell if serious.
  9. Trevalon Augur

I boxed on LJ, but on Phinny Ive never really boxed much. The added annoyance of the second computer just doesn't make it worth it IMO. I do box 1 other character during initial leveling mostly for powerlevel purposes later but when it comes to raiding/grouping I usually only play 1 character once they are maxed for the particular expansion.
  10. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I really have no problem with boxing and have dabbled with it from time to time, but ultimately it just doesn't suit my fancy and that's why I don't box. I also really enjoy playing my character at the highest levels possible and having to think about another character (or more) in tow is highly detrimental to that ideal. There are certainly many who pull it off just fine, but the few times I've messed with it I quickly lose interest.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

My main PC is old and slow, can't run two instances at once. I had another PC that could run EQ but it was WinXP. Mostly that was for when my son wanted to play too, but it is older and slower than mine. They are in the same room but not close enough to box comfortably. I also don't want to pay for a second account, though I could do some stuff with a Silver account.

I don't care if people box, but I do think more people would do pick-up groups if there was no boxing. But I also think that without boxing EQ could have died before now. Mercs were a good solution because they helped both soloers and boxers to do better. It's how the game works now, people just have to live with it.
  12. Rhodz Augur

1. Expense
    2. Do not like the play style of boxing
    3. Principle of the thing

That's all that comes to mind.
    Baselisk likes this.
  13. Pictarous Augur

Why I truebox:

Can form a group at any time

Don't have to play grab waiting for people, or their dog, or their girlfriend called or whatever

Control of the group

"Sorry I've got to go my guild needs me" protection

Opens the game up for more "solo" play - I can choose my rules and camps (if they are open) to be at. I'm not pigeonholed into certain zones or camps.

To follow up that thought up, I have more freedom to do things I want. I don't have to try and convince people to run some dead end quest at 12 am because I can't sleep, or something.

I guess freedom would be the answer. Boxing gives me more freedom in the world of EQ.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Kind of hard to take you seriously with that kind of comment.
    Renshu and Pictarous like this.
  15. Khaliss Augur

how is multiboxing cheating? I don't understand why some players are still seeing it that way... just because someone has the technical inclination & mettle for multitasking to multibox, means they are doing something wrong? Look, this is just a game, play it however you want as long as it's within the rules (as literally laid out by DBG, not because of how you "interpret" it). I'm a tech professional & work on computers/network ALL day long, as much as I like to multibox on a truebox server... I imagine it really is TOO taxing to box a full group (which I do on live servers on one computer with 3 monitors hooked up), 3-box setup is probably best I can manage on 3 separate machines. It would be so cumbersome & clunky to be dealing with a complex setup, so the "TRUEBOX" feature is already enough hindrance towards bot armies, let's leave it at that.

I'm looking forward to Agnarr, but probably won't be boxing right away. I wanna play a class that can PL first, get that to high levels, then PL one or maybe 2 other characters later to multibox during downtimes, when I can't or don't feel like grouping up with other players.
  16. liveitup1216 Augur

You asked why I don't box. I answered. What's trolly about it? Boxing is paying for increased personal power to do something a single character cannot do. To me, that's pretty straight forward cheating.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  17. liveitup1216 Augur

The question was why "I" don't box. I consider it cheating. Nobody here is claiming that the company that makes their bread and butter off subs considers it cheating.

Why on earth would the fox ask for the hen-house to be locked up? Let's not be silly here.
  18. liveitup1216 Augur

Pretty serious. It's not that uncommon of an opinion?
  19. liveitup1216 Augur

OP asked a question that I answered. Just because we don't agree doesn't change anything.
  20. Machentoo Augur

It's extremely uncommon today, considering that the vast majority of current eq players box at least some.