Agnarr and GoD

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Groans, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Groans Augur

Just a question here but why not Lock Agnarr at the GoD expansion since it too is 65 and has the last new class "Berserker"?

I mean either way it sounds fun but why not at least get to where we unlock all the classes and pretty much the hardest content that will keep hard cores entertained for a very long time (GoD was insane when it released they probably would not have to have MoTM etc on mobs in that expansion)

Maybe GoD has some crazy coding or set up that makes it impossible but a lot of stuff there is already instanced.
  2. Machentoo Augur

They don't think you can handle GoD at 65. They only grudgingly let us do GoD at 65 on Phinny, after a year of protests and petitioning, and then only for two months before oow unlocks.
  3. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Saying GoD-locked outloud doesn't have the same ring to it that saying PoP-locked has.

Actually, wait a second...

(No but seriously it's probably because PoP is widely considered to be the "golden age of EverQuest" especially through the lenses of nostalgia)
  4. Maestro Morg New Member

Because tons of people quit during GoD. It was a poorly run expansion. The last encounter (tacxivi? texcvio? whatever) was tuned to a level 70 raid but there was a level 65 level cap.

It was bad for subscriptions and it was a departure from the larger Everquest lore.
  5. malaki Augur

Yeah it was obviously the expansion and not EQ2 and Wow being released.
    Dilf likes this.
  6. Smak Augur

I also think it should be god locked, that will not stop the carebear zerg guilds getting to quarm, its up to them if they want to quit at god or carry on for the rewards that are LEVEL SIXTYFIVE just like pop was level 65. It also lets players flesh out their characters itemwise for completeness sake if its locked at god. Not everyone should WIN eq by beating every mob, maybe not. Find other ways to win eq if you cant do that.
  7. Groans Augur

I agree with GoD being hard but if its locked people can choose to remain in POP/LDoN or do some of GoD and not the rest and it being this hard would make it good right? I mean there will always be that last really hard tier (people did do GoD high end when it came out very few but hey its locked here forever remember)

Also it would be nice to get the last class in there as well.
  8. Nolrog Augur

They are never going to please everyone. If they locked it at GOD, someone would come in and say, why not lock it at Omens, Anguish is some great raiding. And if they locked it at Omens . . . . . .
    elebertus and snailish like this.
  9. Maestro Morg New Member

Yes, actually. GoD was like February 2004. Omens of War (which many people, myself included, thought was a pretty successful expac) was released in September 2004. WoW and EQ2 weren't released until November 2004.

GoD had run its whole lifespan before WoW and EQ2 were released. Sure there were betas for WoW and EQ2 but they weren't available to everyone. My guild went from having 72 on a night to barely getting to 30 by the time we got to Uqua. No one that quit said "I'm gonna go play WoW Beta for the next 6 months". Most people quit because GoD wasn't fun and many of the changes to the game made it virtually unplayable (bosses falling through the floor, collisions being all screwed up, our guild's tank still posts pictures of him kiting the entire poFire 2 field two while we tried to pick the frog up from below the field). The untuned content combined with the bad gameplay and poor execution left most of the people with whom I played with a bad taste in their mouth for that expansion. Most of us quit and did nothing or went to other things long before WoW/EQ2 were available.

I am, however, sympathetic to the argument that people can choose to remain in PoP/LDoN and not move on to GoD. I don't object to new expansions being available on a server, and drawing the line is going to be hard no matter what (include GoD?). I could take GoD or leave it. But I would argue that there is value in setting the lock somewhere and the last widely-praised expac seems a logical place to set it.

If you lock it at PoP, you get to say its PoP locked (even if technically LoY and LDoN are enabled). People liked PoP. People hated GoD. Call it GoD locked and half of the people i'm convincing to come back with me will say " Uqua" and go back to playing Legion. Call it PoP locked and they remember all of the fun stuff about PoP and they're more likely to play, even if they could do the same on a GoD-locked server.
  10. malaki Augur

WoW beta was massive. I wouldn't be surprised if WoW beta's population exceeded EQ's.
  11. Smak Augur

The main reason I am for a god locked server is that it lets you more fully flesh out and gear a level 65 character toward perfection. In the same way I would be against an oow locked server when there was still don and dodh to do for 70s.

On the other hand, for level 60 I think luclin was a departure from what eq was intended to be. I cannot imagine anyone in original eq development saying hey we should have cats on the moon fighting 4 armed demons and shade zergs and black ooze because those ooze in dalnir looked so cool.
  12. Aegir Augur

I think many seem to forget the fact that back then after 2-5 years of intense gaming, people simply just wanted to move on - Nothing wrong with the game, nothing wrong with the expansion.

The character development and items we get by 1-2months of regular playing on tlp now, would take a year if not more back then of pretty intense work and dedication. Most of us had fun too, really much fun - but in the end A LOT of us was simply just saying thank you for some great years here - but now, it's time to move on with our lives. I really doubt that anyone could sustain some sort of real life healthy living, mentally, socially and physically playing EQ THAT hard for 5 more years?

We had great time playing, if not the greatest time playing PC ever? and to be honest some of us from 99/2000 era lasting until 2004 in such a demanding world like everquest, with all of the other stuff comming at that time to blow your time on with a PC, is a huge Kudos to the game and the community.

I can't wait to give GoD a go this time around! :)
  13. snailish Augur

It's been said elsewhere, and I think rings true:

LDoN lock (which is essentially PoP as endgame lock) is the compromise that captures the most "golden age" nostalgia. Stuff from Kunark to Luclin will still have interest/challenge (especially for a server that will likely not have a huge serious raiding culture).

Different people will have a different boundary on "Golden Age" but I would suggest most draw that line somewhere before GoD.

Self-imposed locks (i.e., My guild only goes to Velious) will be easier to maintain on Agnarr the lower it is locked at.

GoD is the "new coke" of EQ. Didn't go well at the time, isn't given a real second chance by many (other TLP that have gone through GoD have actually quite enjoyed it for the most part). For Agnarr's purposes it makes sense to avoid GoD. This also provides them the easy option down the line of adding a second locked server in OoW that an Agnarr player can transfer to if a player wants to (or some other scheme like that).
    Mashef likes this.
  14. Machentoo Augur

It's the only expansion in EQ history that no guild ever beat in era on live servers. I'm not really sure anyone can say with a straight face that there was nothing wrong with the expansion. (The problems have now been fixed and it's an awesome expansion to play through now, but at the time it wasn't...)
  15. Tachyon Augur

The real issue with a GoD locked server is that it completely trivializes previous content once it has matured. Yes, all expansions somewhat trivialize the previous but GoD was a really big step, Omens even more so. It makes the old path of gearing up through Velious and Luclin and then upgrading that gear in PoP irrelevant.

Just level to the 50s and get group drops in GoD (zones, instanced trials, etc.) along the way that make earlier expansion loot look silly. Get Qvic access, gear up and move on. It's a short trip. You don't need to even bother with getting a VT or Time key or any other key for that matter.

Starting in new on a PoP locked server gives a little more life to the experience. There is still some value to a few Velious and Luclin era raid targets and going through the Elemental process still makes sense. The groupable shortcuts aren't as prolific.

GoD was the first expansion where group drops began to approach raid drops, and that shrunk the span of the game.
    Mashef likes this.
  16. Mashef Augur

This is actually a fantastic idea. I think with the ease of Agnarr, having multiple toons is a given. The ability to transfer one off to a GoD and onward progression server would be really cool as long as it was like 6 months after Agnarr became fully locked.

Easy money generator for DBG too for paid transfers. Even if you burn out on content post GoD you still have the majority of your other toons chilling on Agnarr that never fell behind.
  17. nagash101 Augur

Maybe they can stay at LDoN for a year and then unlock GoD. Wait a year again and unlock OoW.
  18. Groans Augur

Tachyon that’s a great point. Although the group content you needed to be raid geared to get past it back then but items abilities and gear are better than in real classic etc. So it would probably be easier now.

However I still would like to see the Berserker class.

Speaking for myself I have no interest in OOW
  19. Astley Augur

Yeah, no, that's not the point. Agnarr will not be unlocked for the later content.

They may open a later server and allow transfers off... but the point is to keep the server locked.
    Mashef and snailish like this.