Class recommendation for autistic people

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Tinytinker Augur

One of my friends with Aspergers wants to start playing on the TLP servers. They have never played EQ before. They get overwhelmed if there is too much going on. They would like to play a character that won't have too much multi tasking to do or buttons to press. They're thinking of what would be good on a locked TLP server and one like Phinny.

They would like to play a class that is a good soloer and also desirable in groups, for times when they want to group up.

They may want to raid in the future. They're not sure about that. If they did, it would probably be on the new server. They took one look at some of the more modern raids and thought they looked insane with the emotes and running around.

What class would you recommend?
  2. Nuther Augur

Rogue or Shaman.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I'd say mage. Very straightforward in solo, group, and raids. Send pet, malo, nuke. Agro management takes some practice, but in groups people are basically only depending on you to do dps and an occasional mod rod or coth. No crowd control, tanking, pulling, or healing (except your own pet). And mages have decent solo ability.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and Felicite like this.
  4. Phantom Ghost Augur

Anything thats role is not crowd control.
  5. Aegir Augur

Wizard, Mage or yeah, Rogue. If you like to solo, you gonna expect a great deal of time to level up compared to grouping. There are some classes in TLP that are great for solo'ing but they also require some attention whilst doing so, and in most cases barely goes on par with a good group exp wise. If it comes down to grinding Solo exp most of times I'd say Agnarr is a better choice than Phinigel.
  6. Ricoexo New Member

Rogue or Mage imo.Prolly more Mage.
    Felicite likes this.
  7. Kiani Augur

I wouldn't say shaman, it's a very busy class, lots of buffs, especially lower levels, lots of canni if you want to play it fully.

I'd say wizard, mage or necro. Maybe rogue. Monk if he doesn't mind being expected to pull in a group.
  8. Renshu Augur

Dude asks for a good solo class.

Everyone says rogue.

???
    PathToEternity, MBear and Fhiele like this.
  9. Basak Augur

Rogue is a good class. Rogue can solo. However Rogue is not a good solo class. =P .., On that, I would say pet classes best bet. Starting on Phinny I would actually suggest Beastlord, but if starting on Agnarr I would probably go along the lines of Magician. I would only suggest Rogue if you planned to do more grouping than soloing, but based on the OP, Magician is best bet.
  10. Semah Augur

I wouldn't suggest a class, like rogue, that is quite dependent on other people. I also wouldn't suggest a melee unless they enjoy that playstyle (managing positioning is an extra factor that consumes mental energy).

Shamans have a lot going on if you want to optimize your mana gain by cannidancing. That plus buffing plus debuffing plus healing plus...

Magician and wizard are both good suggestions: fairly straightforward, capable of soloing, mostly non-CC. Necro is also a decent choice. Necros have more buttons but also more utility that could remove frustration grouped/solo.
  11. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Yeah gonna have to vote against shaman here too. The play style may sound good - moderate ability to solo, wanted in groups, useful on raids, but I think if you have a high sensitivity to interacting with people the endless buff requests would probably get to you eventually especially when you're already in the middle of a bunch of other things. Shamans also fill enough roles that (healing, buffing, debuffing/cc, dps) I could see it becoming easily overwhelming.
  12. steiner Augur

I'd have them go druid
  13. Chuuk Augur

Mage all the way...there's a reason it was the most popular class for mega boxers. They're incredibly simple, don't really need gear, solo like a beast, and are awesome in groups.
    Felicite likes this.
  14. Reht The Dude abides...

I'd have them not go druid, i know someone with aspberger's who plays a druid and it's really rough on him when he groups or raids. Have them stay away from healing classes because of the extra stress of worrying about people dying.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  15. SevrinSevendust Elder

in my humble opinion I think the problem here is that most solo classes are finesse classes, and have much more going on then a class that would be best for a person with a disability playing the game for the first time. Maybe EQ developers should be taking note of this thread.

I would think that a Warrior would be a good class since it is very straight forward with less button mashing other than tar getting main mob and staying in its face and boosting agro and damage with aa's. Just my 2c's. I have a son that has sensory issues and although he is very smart, I would never start him on a finesse or pulling class if he were playing this game. Rouge is also a consideration, however you have to move to get out of agro.

I think once your friend has more familiarity with the game, and has more confidence, exploring other classes would then be enjoyable. A Warrior may provide a good class perspective to learn from and gain confidence. Your friend will also be and integral part of a groups success and involved without having to provide mass communication at the same time. It's allot to think about from the perspective of someone with any disability. Go simple, and think confidence building while learning game and group dynamics.
  16. Fhiele Augur

I've always enjoyed a necromancer. Its very fun to find a mob, stack darkness, poison, fire, sic pet on it, run around til it dies. Best game is when you find a second mob, stack darkness, poison, fire and just as first mob dies you can sic pet on second mob just as you grab third mob........

But it requires a lot of mental attention. Asperghers people can normally focus on things pretty well, but your friend might be different. For truly minimal attenion in group and solo, i'd suggest a wizard. The Necromancer I just mentioned soloing has to keep track of a few things, the wizard really just his mana bar and enemy health bar. And grouping is even easier. So easy its kind of boring.
  17. Illusory Augur

That's not all the OP asked for...He asked for a class that is good at soloing AND desirable in groups - while being very low maintenance for someone with Asperger syndrome.

With that said, I would consider a Ranger.

- They have roughly 1 spell per level which include the very basic of Druid buffs, heals, and DoTs.
    - They don't have a pet, so you only need to focus on the Ranger.
    - In a group setting, you'd just need to deal damage (either melee or at range.)
    - They do gain the taunt ability, but I've only met one Ranger that wanted to tank in a group setting on Phinigel.
    - Since they can heal, deal significant damage, and mitigate damage reasonable well... They are capable of efficient soloing with little effort.

I'm probably missing some points, but you don't have to work very hard as a Ranger.
  18. Zodiacrat0222 New Member

I think some of the posters above don't really have an understanding of autistic and aspergers type of people. I commend your attempts to help and we value your opinion, but I have worked in school districts for 17 years and have a good grasp on this one.

The suggestions of warrior, rogue and shaman are actually terrible ideas for this person and here's why.
    The warrior is a simple to learn class with fewer buttons to mash, so that part you absolutely got right, but the problem is the warrior also has a huge responsibility in the group. They are the tank, and by being the tank are expected to lead, have knowledge of the zones, give commands, and keep other people's mistakes from getting them killed. This is way too much social pressure for that kind of player.

Shaman falls into the same pressure category. They are expected to keep buffs up, debuff and slow the target, save themselves when the slow pulls aggro, save the whole party with heals, and they are constantly bugged by strangers for buffs.

Rogue is almost a good choice due to the ease of play and usefulness in groups, but they don't solo very well and are very gear dependent. This will be a hard road to learn on. Not recommended.

I'll have to second many posters in suggesting the Mage. This is the class for him/her.
    The mage is a self-contained class that doesn't rely on anyone to play. They can create anything they need to prolonged trips out in the middle of nowhere, have strong damage spells, but not too many buttons to push at all. Have 4 types of very strong pets that allow them to solo effectively and are very useful in groups with only one responsibility...damage. Learning to keep good control of the pet will be the only thing this player will have to spend time mastering, but this is an easy thing to learn and I think they'll really enjoy the game more with this introductory character. It might even get them to freely want to engage more socially and can actually help with their problem in real life.

Mage is the one for you.
  19. Tachyon Augur

Wizzy hands down! Easiest to play, loved by groups for dps and ports. And while not the top soloer, very good and less tricky to solo with than others. Root nuke/snare nuke.

Necro and mage aren't bad, but more complicated to learn.
  20. Reht The Dude abides...

My exact thoughts
    Felicite likes this.