Suggestion - Further Character Graphic Customization

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pootle, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Pootle Elder

Ok, now this may not be an original idea, but its been in my mind for a while now, so I thought I would share.

I want to be able to customize the look of my characters armor and weapons more.

Current Tools.
    Hero Forge
    Weapon/Shield Ornaments - (issue not hot swapable, limited choice)

So my idea would be to have a second inventory tab in the inventory window (called Clothing Tab). When you place an item into one of these slots, it prioritizes the graphic of this item over whatever is in your regular inventory.

This would just have slots for visible armor and primary/secondary slots. These will still be restricted to your race/class. You get no stat increases from these slots, nor any other benefits from anything you place here. (clickies would work, but only if they are clickable from inventory - you could have worn clickies working from here but that may throw up balance issues)

So for example, I have a level 52 Shaman. He is wearing Defiant Gear for his level.
    But I can go quest a set of Totemic Armor and place that in my Clothing Tab, and he will appear visually in full Totemic but his stats will still reflect that he is wearing his Defiant gear.

It would be the same for weapons, maybe you really like your Greenmist that you remember questing for as a young Iksar... So keep wielding your uber 105 Sword of Awesome that you have now, but place your Greenmist in your Clothing Tab slot. There you have it, you are still able to hit mobs with your Sword of Awesome, but visually you are rocking the Greenmist.

Pros.
    Greater Character Customization.
    More people revisiting old content.
    The in game assets are already there.
    Does not change Hero Forge armor augments etc, these stay exactly the same.

Cons.
    Does it stop people buying stuff from marketplace? Maybe a bit. (but make access to this Clothing Tab tied into Hero Forge activation purchase? Or even charge a different fee for it)
    Drain on Resources? (How much work is it? all the graphics are already in the game)

Anyway, if you read this far, my thanks! Thoughts?
  2. elumxe Elder

Do you care if only you see this customization? Or do you need others to see your char using the greenmist instead of your sword of awesome?
    The reason I ask is because it's trivial to make it work client side, compared to force a update to everyone around you via server...
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

My input: create a Marketplace-buyable consumable, that creates an ornament based on any visible item you have. Revenue stream for DB, no need to change a lot of code, and the intent of the OP is fulfilled.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Xanathol like this.
  4. Pootle Elder

I want it to be client side, same as HeroForge items are.
    As an old player I do miss some of the old gear and was trying to figure out how we could utilize some of the old graphics on items we used to use.

I believe being able to create an ornament from any item in the game would be a bit of a deal breaker for the item database. As each ornament will be a new item. Plus that would probably not restrict class/race usage which I think should be maintained.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

Restrict it to nodrop/attuned items, and make ornamentations nodrop...
  6. Tereil Elder

Or be able to drop the weapon of choice into the ornament slot, takes appearance of inserted weapon. We kind of already do similar things with mounts, choose the look and stats we want.

(I also realize this is an oversimplification of how stats on mounts work)
  7. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Not an overall bad idea, I would add, I want a armor dummy in my house I can equip old visual armor to display! Will allow me go free up bank space...
    Janakin likes this.
  8. GoneFission Augur

Frankly, I think a visit to the Guild Lobby already looks like a Star Wars cantina scene. Also, as a casual grouper trying to gear 6 100+ toons, I see every ornament drop from a named as an armor drop I didn't get. Maybe they don't share tables, but my small group and I don't have any use for existing ornaments we can't sell, use, or tribute.

That said, we've talked about what would interest us enough to plunk down real money on appearance. What I would like to see is either a Rallos Zek look, complete with red eyes and a glowing axe, or a Firiona look like the model from the heroic character ad screen. I don't care if it's client side or not. Right now, those are really the only looks I would be willing to spend money on.
  9. Bella222 Elder

This is what EQ2 has. An appearance slot. You can have your character look completely different than your armor. It is one of the things I miss most since starting to play EQ as well as EQ2.
  10. Janakin Augur

Yeah this is something that would be awesome. I actually have saved old armor sets in house closets hoping this is realized one day.
  11. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I like the idea of the appearance slots, how easily it could be implemented is another story. The armor dummy is also another good idea that has been asked for before, I wish they would make the Suit of ... able to be previewed like the individual items are so you can see what the whole set looks like equipped. Using the same concept they could make them placeable so we could put completed suits in houses or halls.
  12. Angahran Augur

I'd love to see a "Hide other's helm" option.
    Some of the HF armour isn't bad but I find 99.9% of the helms just ridiculous.
    Either look like buckets or it's those 'funny' bunny ears or that sort of thing.

Obviously we have client side control of this since we can choose to hide or show the HF graphics, so shouldn't be that hard to do.
    Dre. likes this.
  13. Nniki Augur

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-1267

Hero's Forge is displayed to everyone. It's not just client-side.

They'd need to keep track of the items server-side anyway, so might as well display it to everyone.

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-299

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-1119

Lots of these ideas are already on the issue tracker. Can add thoughts / suggestions / feedback there. They just need more votes if people are interested in them. :)
    Dre. likes this.
  14. Pootle Elder

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant that i wanted it displayed to everyone.

Also thanks for linking that suggestion. I will try to login there and vote for it.