Tanking, is it more friendly then back in the days ?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Varlak, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Varlak New Member

Last time I've been playing everquest 1 as my main MMO was back in the OoW days. I've always anjoyed tanking but sadly it was kinda impossible by lvl cap for players who couldn't afford spending tons and tons of plat on crafted armor or looting right from raids.

Is it more casual friendly nowadays ?
  2. Minato Augur

It's much easier then it used to be with multiple disc/spells depending on the class you go with
  3. Varlak New Member

Would be either Pally or SK. I've always liked the paladin heals and SK have feing death and nice spells. I can't never make my mind on wich one to play.
  4. Minato Augur

There both great in their own way while sks can do amazing things solo group or raid in a raid setting id much rather have a pally there for the heals/cures splashes etc they offer to everyone else so it depends how far you intend to take your character. but im not a pal or sk main so hopefully a main of each class can chime in for you
  5. Tereil Elder

I made an SK to box with my chanter and mage. Now I box a chanter and mage for my SK. It's some work to get a tank geared up. Applicable for any tank (just made a heroic warr with the anniversary). SK is definitely more interactive so far. You are constantly casting. Anyway, it's very possible, with time, gearing, and AAs to play a perfectly good tank in the group game with group gear.
  6. Varlak New Member

I don't plan to raid. Especialy not at a level where I could tank in raid.
  7. Chaosflux Augur

It depends how you define casual friendly.

Getting gear is super easy now and even in group gear you will feel godlike.

However the amount of effort in combat is about 1000% more. In OOW you could basically aggro lock a group mob in 2 keystrokes. Now if you are a Knight your probably doing 2 or 3 keystrokes per global cooldown or more.
  8. Varlak New Member

Well I used to play mostly monk/bard puller and enchanter so I'd say that I've never really played the easiest class back in the days.

2-3 keystork per global CD, so you mean about 100+ key push a minute ? How is this even possible ?
  9. Tereil Elder

Multi-binding abilities, key binding and the like. You are able to hit the skill as soon as GCD is done, which is even before the skill un-greys. And multiple abilities or spells on one key you're pressing repeatedly.
  10. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

In groups, group gear can be had. In raids, it's still tough. Gotta be one of a very small handful of your guild's high-playtime tanks.
  11. p2aa Augur

There are more abilities and spells to use now for tanks, with many lines of spells / abilities. Even for warriors, it's not just press your one aggro key and stand there auto attack on to hold aggro.
    I think it's more interesting nowadays than before. As to more friendly, group gear is way better now than it was in earlier expansions. But whatever the tank class you choose, you will need to be ready to click lot of buttons to perform your job the best way possible.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Friendly is a tough word to define. I don't know if EQ / tanking is more or less friendly than it used to be.

More friendly:
    - We have so many tools to get and hold aggro, and are much less dependent on healers.
    - We can grab a healer merc and be a one man tanking/healing team.
    - We don't die from boredom of having our abilities limited to bash, taunt and defensive discipline.

Less friendly:
    - You have to learn like, 50 abilities/items to play a tank properly (but can probably get away with only using a dozen and be ok)
    - You have to spam keys to play a tank properly (but can probably get away with using much less and be ok)
    - Getting a maxed out character even without raiding requires a tremendous time investment that grows with every expansion (but can hit 105, get an entry level set of gear from TBM, get a couple thousand critical AAs and be ok)
  13. Varlak New Member

Thanks guys for all the info. Ill probably keep leveling my SK. I mostly solo undead with my pally.