Expansion of Race and Class Choices?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pharmer Enthedell, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Pharmer Enthedell New Member

With the free Heroics for anniversary, I and my kids are looking to create a new group from a race other than Drakkin.

The problem is, some of the races we considered are missing key classes. The lack of a slower, CC other than root, and porting make certain races unappealing.

The Wood Elf gained the Beastlord class to round out the race, but why not add that and a bard to Halflings? Ogres, Trolls, and Iksars have no CC or ports.

What did it take to add the Beastlord to Wood Elves, and Monk to Frogloks?

Just to wonder, what if Shamans and Clerics were given porting spells to fill that gap?
  2. Tour Augur

They're not going to add more classes to a race just so that race can do everything possible. How about a theme that's less restrictive? All "evil" races, all elves, all short, etc. Or if you really want to be just one race, you're going to have to pick one with more class flexibility or make due with what you have. Beyond the absolute very basic of someone to heal, tank, and deal dmg, you have a lot of room in how those roles are filled. Things like CC, tracking, and porting are great to have. But by no means needed, and the lack of them isn't really a "gap".
  3. Pharmer Enthedell New Member

Well, it definitely won't happen in time to do it now, but maybe in the future they'll add more like they did for Wood Elves & Frogloks. I mean, who wouldn't want a rabid Gnome Berserker on occasion too?

New variety to keep the game interesting as well.
  4. Tucoh Augur

With how little race matters these days i dont think it makes sense to limit yourself to one. Might be more meaningful to name your characters with a theme, like say, the characters in the good, the bad and the ugly.
  5. Maedhros High King

I've always wondered why there are so many restrictions.
    Fact is, in an old game that isnt gaining many, if any, new blood, opening up some class/race combos could result in some much needed cash flow.
    New combos means people buy heroic characters, they buy hero's forge ornaments, they buy tons of new illusion wands to go along with their new combo...
    I'm certainly not advocating going too overboard, but one or two new combo's per expansion would just make that much more money for EQ.
    snailish likes this.
  6. Thraine Augur

as easy as it is to get around these days, theres almost no reason to limit yourselves to a race .. i mean if you all picked wildly different races you could all be in the same zone in 2 mins and grinding.

Humans are also a decent option, they can be a wide variety of classes if your set in stone on everyone being the same race
  7. Shaken Journeyman

This is why I have a boosted 85 enchanter, I can have any race army I want, gotta love the project illusion AA :D

They always end up all frogloks most of the time for some reason *ribbit* :p
    Koryu likes this.
  8. Adrihaen New Member

I was wondering why this matters at all. Aren't all class/race combos just residents of Crescent Reach anyways? So, its not like one race is across the world from another. You all literally start at the same place.
  9. Hillbillyheaven New Member

My vote is for Gnome Bard. I mean, who don't like steam punk music??? But in reality, I would like to see something like a new class, war/wiz...New hybrid...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. code-zero Augur

There was an ongoing voting event to add the new race/class combinations of Wood Elf Beastlord and Froglok Monk. They don't do that sort of thing just for convenience and frankly I'm like some of the others here, what difference does it make anyway?
  11. snailish Augur

One new combo every expac moving forward would be great... with home city trainers in place. I'm even in favor of retroactively placing them across every expac that didn't give us a new race/class... race change $ on progression servers here we go (pays for the global improvement).

Iksar Berserker (aligned with Warrior guild, does the pike questline, etc.)
    Erudite Int Casters of Paineel
    Vah Shir Ranger or Druid

There's quite a few that require basically no lore stretching or writing.

Then you can make up lore to justify
    Halfling beastlords of the Tribunal
    Dwarf Sks of Rolfron Zek
    Troll Paladins of Cazic Thule and so on.

In some cases, just adding more deity and starter city options... Half elf should have a motherload of options including Neriak for example.

This is not me advocating Dark Elf druids (for example). all/all is not the answer, but more options would be nice.
  12. smash Augur

Honestly i dont care about race/class, it is waste of resources doing more that. Give me more content any day
  13. Kravin Journeyman

He wants to play "one race" so he can be the same as his kids. I totally understand this because I want to be able to start a new group and have pretty much ever utility within one race selection with my family members.
  14. Adrihaen New Member

But he can do that. One of which he says he doesn't want (and why not?). Drakkin aren't the only ones with those specific utilities. I think a better idea is to put forth a race/class people might want to see instead of take resources to throw the gates open on character combos that might never get played. To me, a wood elf beastlord might as well never exist but for some, they might. I personally haven't seen one but that was apparently easy enough to do. And I think the lore has pushed far enough along you could explain the reasoning for some combos to exist. Still, they shouldn't exist just to exist. People should play them and so far it seems like throwing darts at the board to hit on the right one. So, which race do they want? Then look at that race and see if you can explain the change as well as how easy it would be to do. That's what is needed. Not the unspecific "there should be more race/combos" because that makes me wonder "why?",
  15. Chaosflux Augur

Just throwing this out there I routinely group with a wood elf beast lord, though yes they are pretty rare.
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

People aren't holding back on purchasing Everquest because they can't be Drizzt, let's be honest here.
  17. Maedhros High King

I didnt say anything about people purchasing Everquest, my point is that you can get more money out of the people that are already paying. How many flavor of the month alts pop up when a new class becomes overpowered?
    In the absence of new customers, you have to maximize the spending of your existing customers. Micro-transactions account for a pretty high percentage of a games income now. Of course a new heroic toon, hero's forge and a few polymorph wands or exp potions can easily run more than $50 - or more than an expansion costs for those of you keeping score at home.
  18. Pharmer Enthedell New Member

Not many think in roleplaying terms anymore? Same race for same family, etc.

Races that already have the same armor types shouldn't be too hard. Any leather wearing race could have the BL scripting added. New warders are chosen from existing models and the scripting added.

If it never happens, oh well. But suggestions might be considered for the future. /shrug
  19. code-zero Augur

In one of the past threads asking for all/all one person had the honesty to admit that he wanted Ogre's to be able to be a silk class for the advantage of frontal melee stun immunity. For most classes that racial advantage is either a preference of players who detest being stunned and extreme min/maxxers but it'd be ridiculously overpowered for a silk class to have.
  20. Adrihaen New Member

I understand the roleplaying aspect of having one race just not which race or why not the ones that do what is wanted. That's saying make everything all/all, isn't it? While there may be some that are too advantages, I do think the lore has moved far enough in the game's existence why you might could have something like an ogre silk class. But more content for everyone suffers to please a couple of folks? That's a bad tradeoff to me. I think barbarian bard's would make total sense. I'm just not rerolling one or spending the money to switch regardless. The only way this would be worthwhile to me personally is they do something like this and make race change free of charge. And how likely is that?