Effect of 18/1 Pet Nerf?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by IblisTheMage, Jan 19, 2017.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Hi, just wanted to start a thread to collect experience, anecdotal or data based, on the effect of the 18/1 pet pet nerf.

It nerfed the AC pets where getting from bufs, which was about 300%-400% higher before. So a 66%-75% reduction in AC recieved from bufs. The argument behind this was a normalization of how AC works on Players and Pets/Mercs.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

...and I will reply to my own thread:

Anecdotal:

In my group yesterday, my perception is that we had to put more attention to the pet not dying, everybody healing/runing more, against nameds in TBM.

I would say that based on this, in a group with strong support (Shaman, Enchanter, Bard), and maxed out pet AA, EM 16, we where still able to handle the content in TBM, but with changes to playstyle.

(And we got our first Watcher kill. Now I need him to drop my EM :) ).
    moogs likes this.
  3. Lheo Augur

The nerf was a bug and should be fixed
  4. Tereil Elder

Though calling it a bug would imply that all pet classes are cheaters for exploiting it for easier kills. More an oversight on the devs that now causes a minor change in playability. That was somewhat tuned around for pet classes. And did not get retuned.

Though honestly, I haven't seen a huge change. My mage pet was offtanking for small bits of time, required only a bit of extra attention.
  5. Tereil Elder

And I guess cheating would imply that it was known about as well! So I invalidate my attempts to be snarky. Haha
  6. Brohg Augur

If you own Empires of Kunark, the Yeti Patriarch in Lceanium is a much easier mob to camp than The Watcher, also drops EM XVIII Engraved Bone Earring
    moogs and IblisTheMage like this.
  7. fransisco Augur

not true.
    The devs decided to give pets a ac soft cap which they never had before. This is a feature (nerf)
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

Don't feed the troll.
  9. Lheo Augur

Nope its a bug not a nerf

Zitat:
    “PC Pet and mercenary mitigation on the test server is currently applying the player AC soft cap value and post cap multiplier to PC pet and mercenary total mitigation AC.

This resulted in a drastic reduction in their mitigation and is unintended.

This has been changed for the live patch to instead only apply the soft-cap multiplier to buff AC for pets and mercenaries and should be noted in the patch notes as follows:

The intended effect of this change is that buff AC for player pets and mercenaries is equally effective as it is for players, rather than 300-400% as effective. Its omission from the test patch notes was a mistake.

Mitigation AC values for a single case to highlight the situation on test v live v the upcoming live patch:”

It looks like they will be fixing the bug, but pets are still getting nerfed in the long run by about 500AC
  10. fransisco Augur

Tereil likes this.
  11. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

OMG! DO YOU NOT SEE THE SKY ON THE GROUND AROUND YOU?!

What are you all still discussing? There are subscriptions to cancel!
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

Nobody has anything to share related to the intention with the post?
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

*1/18.

(yw!)
  14. dwish Augur

I can't comment on mage pets, but from a beastlord perspective it appears to be a minimal change in tanking power. Granted I only played around a couple of hours last night after the patch, but to the naked eye I didn't see much of a difference. Now this might change on raids but I haven't tested yet. Even before this latest fix/nerf it's been getting harder and harder to keep pet alive on raids which sucks for a class that is basically built around a pet.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

My pet tanked two named in Lceanium in the past 18 hours, once with a druid and merc healer and the other with two merc healers. Both times the pet survived the encounter with minimal concern for death.

This afternoon I killed a blue con spider in Lceanium w/o a merc (forgot it was suspended) and mostly had RS tank it. No concerns with RS tanking. I then brought out my merc healer and attacked two wolves at once in FM, with pet on one and chaining RS on the other. No issues or concerns.

Granted I was killing blue cons in T1 zones. Granted the two named were yellow con in Lceanium and I had two healers each time. Granted I have a whopping four encounters of pet tanking post patch. But as of now, things seem to be the same as pre patch. I plan on trying to solo some Droga/Chardok mobs, or the giants in FM, to get a better "feel". But things seem to me how it was before...
  16. Blackjaw_SolRo Lorekeeper

Naani... What are you upset about 500 less AC - just spend the thousands of new EoK pet AAs to get it's defensives where they were before this expansion.
    Sancus likes this.
  17. Piemastaj Augur

Was your pet fully buffed? That 500 AC loss was on a fully buffed EM 23 Air pet, which is weaker in tanking then an Earth pet. That would be the total loss on the pet, if it had full rank 3 buffs. So, obviously if the pet was lacking buffs the AC loss will be less.

As it stands I am pretty sure the DMG in take could only be parsed, not be visible to the naked eye.

Seems like you are fishing and your J boots are also moving slower after the most recent patch.

My issue along with others was another nerf was unnecessary no matter how big or small it was. There really was no reason to make this change right now, it could have waited until next Beta because 500 AC is not doing anything in a good or bad way for the game. If you think 500 AC is going to make or break your solo and or group experience you are wrong.

Nerfs are bad, even more so when it is the same class patch after patch.
  18. fransisco Augur

For mages it tends to be expansion after expansion
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  19. kizant Augur

Just imagine what Mages would be like if you didn't receive all these nerfs. You'd be even more OP than zerkers right now! We should all be grateful that they give Mages proper attention. :D
  20. fransisco Augur

We could be like shadowknights!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.