Everquest Classic

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Valkyris, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Valkyris New Member

Hi there!

tl:dr: Which server is locked to Classic/RoK and/or Luclin?

Aging EQ player here. I used to play in 1999/2000. Some of my fondest memories are of Ruins of Kunark. Corpse runs... oh joy. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Anyway, I just came across a news blip talking about Everquest Classic and Everquest Time Locked Progression servers... unfortunately, that news blip was from a couple of years ago.
    So I gather there's Ragefire, Lockjaw and Phinigel.

I tried and tried googling more details, but I can't find anything. (so I did do my due dilligence)

It looks like I missed the glory times (in my opinion) of being locked to either RoK or Luclin. And the progression server marches on...

I'd love to play either Classic or RoK. Are there any servers where I can still only play that content? There's server list, I have no clue which server does what and unfortunately it seems all the locked or restricted servers are just that... pay for play. Which is fine by me, I'd love to shell out the money to get back into my old timers groove... I just want to make sure I'm actually getting what I'm looking for.

So, in closing... which (if any) servers provide Classic/RoK and/or Luclin?
  2. Tinytinker Augur

Hi. None of the servers are starting out in Kunark or Vox/Nagafen era.

The TLP servers progress through expansions as time passes. Phinny, for example, is transitioning to Planes of Power. You can follow the updates here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...se-heading-progression-server-changes.232356/

You also won't find corpse runs on these servers. =) You respawn with your gear on and you can run back to get a res if you want to get your xp back. People don't have time for corpse runs these days with kids and family, so this is a good thing =)
  3. Tinytinker Augur

Meh. My earlier post was badly worded.

<<None of the servers are starting out in Kunark or Vox/Nagafen era>>

Change that to: If you log onto the TLP servers, you won't find them locked at Kunark or classic era when you start off. The servers have progressed beyond those expansions, although you can still find people grouping and hunting in earlier content.

Phinny is very active. There is lots of grouping, slower experience, true box code (can only log one toon in per computer), and instanced raids. It's a good option if you want a social server and don't want to worry about bat phoning. They are heading into Planes of Power.

Ragefire and Lockjaw have normal experience, unrestricted boxing rules, and open world raid competition.

None of the TLP servers have corpse runs.

If you are looking for a server that is never going to progress beyond Velious and has classic gameplay (corpse runs, hybrid penalties and all that fun), you might check out Project1999 (although be warned, there is a lot of drama and the raid scene is pretty toxic).

Daybreak also plans to open a new TLP server in the future.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Recommend just waiting till they open a new progression server. Not sure if there's a way to get a notification of when they do it or not.
  5. TheInquisitor Old Timer

Hello Valkyris,

To add to what Tinytinker has mentioned - I have recently stumbled upon a very similar called Project2002 - The Age of Al'Kabor.

"Launched on 20th of March 2015, the Ruins of Kunark expansion followed on 19th of June, and Scars of Velious was released on 19th of December. Besides those expansions we have also released the Optional Odus Zones (The Warrens, Stonebrunt Mountains and the Hole), Shar Vahl and Shadeweaver's Thicket (which means Vah'Shir and Beastlords are available), the Nexus, the Bazaar and Shadow Haven - and the Plane of Knowledge."

Their site lists a very easy install process with all necessary files and has no "dll" files to tend with. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is banned and all other box programs except wineq2. There is a strictly enforced 3 man box limit but grouping/guilds on the server are encouraged. I forgot old Freeport and all of the other zones I experienced back in 2004 - logging in the first time at the Temple of Marr in N.Freeport gave me shivers...over a decade later. The game is setup as we left it back in the early 2000's, well imo that is. There are a few hundred on daily - come check it out.
  6. Phiyre Augur

They also have project 99 which is another free to play version of everquest. This is a nice free to play option as any time locked progression server will require you to pay for an all access membership.
    Welcome back :)
  7. TheInquisitor Old Timer

PS: There is a double xp weekend event going on presently on the P2002 server. It's also very easy to get started - just download their file and create a separate forum/server login.
  8. Tenaka Lorekeeper

Someone else mentioned Ragefire and Lockjaw but did not add that those two servers are currently locked at Luclin. Those are "preferred" servers though and do require a subscription. You can play on any normal server though as a silver account and experience all classic zones without having to sub, and there are really no restrictions on classic armor/weapons so 1-60 can almost feel like a paid account until you get to higher levels.
  9. Goranothos Augur

Sounds like P99 is what OP is looking for.