Lag so bad I cant even walk... Hep..Hep

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by LeHamster, Nov 10, 2016.

1. LeHamster New Member

I was out of town for 7 weeks and just got back today.. I am all happy cause I get to play again!! YAY!! ....Log in and ... WTF??? WORST LAG EVER, I mean my toon was unplayable unless i was looking at the ground.. not an effective way for a chanter to play>< I have been told there have been lag issues while I was away, but really, to this extent? is it me and my machine or EQ?
  2. lolans Master

3. lolans Master

This was a Mid October 2016 change.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

If you have to look at the ground, that is not lag via your connection.

in game, /log off then Alt J, turn off Journal.
    Antivirus program, exclude EQ folder from active scanning.
    Compressed Air, clear out heatsinks.

Control Panel, Power Options, set to high performance
    if Nvidia GPU, Nvidia panel, 3D, Power Management mode - change from adaptive to Max performance.

Also, if you have been away, your system may be downloading updates for OS and other programs.

If that does not help much, need system configuration.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Laurana Augur

I'm having the exact same issue on one of my machines. It functioned fine until about 6 weeks ago. Now when I log in, I have to look at the ground. This system is identical to another box I have except for the motherboard. Very strange...
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As per what Sauk said the most likely thing is settings that affect lag got reset. So going through those and double checking makes sense.
  7. Laurana Augur

Thanks for the reply. Going through Sauk's suggestions:
    • Journal confirmed off
    • No AV software present
    • System is new, but opened it anyway and is pristine inside (I clean out my workstations every 6 months)
    I believe this has to do with either:
    1. The DirectX switch
    2. Some change in the EQ client
    3. Some Windows 10 forced-down-your-throat update
    I have two identical systems except for the MOBO. One is lag crazy, the other is 100% fine.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling directx?

Have you compared other settings.. Clipping plane, Sky Type, and LOD Bias. Basically I would go through the display options and advanced display options to see if there are any differences. I dont see why the eq settings would change but something to check to be sure.

The complex sky setting and the far clip plane setting may cause lag. Turn off complex sky or sky altogether and try reducing far clip plane. If looking at the ground helps reducing the far clip plane will help too.. it just means you wont see things further away.
  9. Behee Augur

If you are using Win10, then Windows Defender is probably turned on (anti-virus), unless you specifically have turned it off. This probably isn't the issue since it is a new computer, so the log files probably aren't large enough yet to cause the issue but I mention to be sure Defender is not scanning EQ log files.
  10. Sarkaukar Augur

9.29.1974 Directx 9c June 2010 version
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Can not uninstall directx 9c but if you get an error with the dxwebsetup version (small initial pkg), download the redistribution version above and keep it around. It will install/re-install all the dx files, including the last set, overriding any possible corrupted ones. Just remember, to unpack it first to an easy to access location then run the dxsetup.exe file.

And there was a version of Windows 10 that for some people furbar their system, noticeable only when playing games. For some a rollback, for others reinstalling drivers, from motherboard, sound card and GPU drivers.
  11. Minato Augur

Make sure in advanced options in game hw vertex shaders and 2.0 pixel shaders are both enabled.... i had the exact same issue on my new (really nice pc) and was freaking out. JChan was awesome enough to point me in the right direction after 5 days of trying everything under the sun including a full factory reset on my new pc

Also you'll have to fully camp out of the entire game and back in for that one to take effect if this is whats causing the lag
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  12. Sarkaukar Augur

Or rename your eqclient.ini so it can create a new one.
  13. Laurana Augur

After trying a few other fixes mentioned above, I went this option and it worked. No idea what changed but after letting a new eqclient.ini file be created, most issues are gone. There is one weird new issue, when characters load into zones, the texture has to be drawn on the geometry and everything starts out as just gray geometry, then quickly gets texturized within a second or two. But I can live with that. Thanks for all the help!
  14. Behee Augur

That might be solved by going to the display options (Advanced options as I recall) and changing the memory from minimal or balanced to Maximum. For me, it helped but didn't end the issue but others say it fixes it for them.