Boxing on Phinigel

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Delphwind, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Delphwind Augur

Phinigel is the anti-boxing server right?

I've been seeing loads of boxers lately, people with out of group characters for buffs/heals. Porters parked in Nexus, even full 6 man boxes porting into NExus for the first time, you see all their achievements popping up with their similar names. Yesterday Redmage, Whitemage, and Bluemage all popped into the Nexus at the same time and auto-followed the Redmage out ...

Was the code removed that kicked players for doing this?
  2. Lariza Journeyman

Phinny isn't the "Anti Box" server its a True box meaning 1 computer = 1 account. People can still have 2, 3 even 6 computers running with a character each.

While 6 boxing would be tough legitimately it is certainly possible.
  3. Umbraeques Lorekeeper

not 'anti-boxing' but 'true-box'. you can still have as many characters as you want, you just need to play each on a different computer (or find a clever way to circumvent the code to stop you using only one).
  4. Delphwind Augur

T
    That makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.
  5. Numiko Augur

Lucky EQ does not require a lot of computer power, I've been able to 4 box using my main computer and three older ones we had stacked in the garage that were destined for the scrap heap. Just had a buy a small hard drive for one, and a cheap video card for another and I was good to go!
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Let's just say you can tell who is boxing using normal methods, and who is boxing using some sort of help that is on the automated side.

Truebox while good isn't 100% fool proof for those with good technical knowledge backgrounds.
  7. Winga Journeyman

The hefty group exp bonus plus the inconvenience and inefficiency of boxing more than 2 or possibly 3 characters has allowed boxing to enhance grouping rather than take from it, in my opinion. There's a lot less need for cookie-cutter groups than there would be without all the OOG clerics/druids.
  8. Karhar Dream Crusher

Can run eq on a 150 dollar windows tablet np.
  9. gugabuba New Member

Anyone have any more specifics on a cheap way to set up a second box? Looking to spend as little as possible on something that is functional. I'd rather not build anything.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

You've got a few methods....

• Find a cheap laptop or optiplex or something like it, safe bet is another mouse + keyboard + display
    • Next method uses the above + some type of program that allows you to log into that machine to access it from another window.... It's in the gray zone area of the rules
    • Up one more step is learning how truebox works and playing with the networking to make EQ think each instance is running seperate, kinda like alt-tab on any any other server
    Then depending on your method above you can add in the macro elements depending on your choice of risk, most people just use the eq macros on a quick screen change, others broadcast and well some are using the tool we know it's just custom for kind of an automated tasks like healing etc...
    Good news is the last method + automation is rare to see but you do see it rarely just look for the folks that are boxing 5+ which is real rare and just watch them. I'd say I've only run into 3 folks like that but then again they aren't in a high pop areas.
  11. vardune Augur

Everquest is an old game. I personally have 6 computers that will run it very well. Old laptops, old desktops and old monitors i never tossed out. with a little ingenuity you can setup a play area to comfortable play 3 computer. 4 or more gets a bit more complicated with the desk real estate and all. I personally run 4 computers and a 5th and 6th computer for just buffs. This is old school boxing and its super fun. I don t run cheaper programs just the computers and the in game macros make things very easy.
  12. vardune Augur

13. Pikallo Augur

I bought a cheap Dell at the start of Phinigel for under $150 bucks and have had no problems with it. Had an extra usb mouse laying around. Nothing else needed - just load it up and go. This particular one has a small display, but I'm fine with it. Battery life isn't great but other than that it works great as an EQ box and just a basic internet/email laptop as well.
  14. furrykitty New Member

I run a PC repair business out of my house so I have an office set up with all the goodies in it.

I could easily quad or even quint downstairs if I wanted to with all the parts, monitors, 19" tvs and towers I have laying around. However I am content using my laptops in a more comfortable environment.

My gaming laptop is an MSI GT70 Dominator. My business laptop is a 6-7 year old i5 Asus I bought for $125 - just needed a $10 keyboard to make it fully functional. Everquest is such an easy program to run that it handles it with the on-board graphics no problem. Furrykitty runs on the MSI and Borune - my cleric - runs on the Asus with auto-follow.

These days you could easily find a sub-$100 dual core laptop and run it no problem at all. Here's two as examples:
    Dell Latitude D630
    Compaq CQ60

Just have to look for a good deal and make damn sure they have adapters included. :)
  15. Nolrog Augur

This confusion started way back from the original discussion of the server, which DBG changed quickly but has stuck around ever since.