Class Psychology

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Fian Augur

One of the great things about EQ is that different classes play very differently. As a result, they appeal to different types of players. My main character is the enchanter.

Enchanter - As an enchanter, it is all about control. I normally like to pull as that allows me to control the number of mobs that come to camp. Even if I am not pulling, the goal is to have only one mob be activate at a time. Group focuses on killing the one mob, and then I activate a second mob for the group to kill as the first dies. I like to keep things very predictable as no one dies. If someone does die, I take it personally, and make a mental note of how they died and what I can do in the future to prevent it again. I am playing my class well when there is order and control.

ShadowKnight/Warrior/(probably paladin too, but haven't seen it with this class) - Tanks want to be the focus of the mob's attacks. But to be honest, just tanking one mob, other than a named isn't that impressive. Plenty of classes can do that. What a tank loves to do is show that they can tank 2, 3 or more at a time (especially raid geared tanks). That is how they show to the group that they are playing their character well. So it is not unusually for a raid geared tank to be the puller. Just pull 3 at a time and tank them all.

You can see how the 2 playstyles conflict above. I want to control everything, and tank pulling defies order. I also can't tell you the number of times that a raid geared tank pulled more than they could chew and bit the dust and wiped the group.

But this is more than just about enchanter frustrations. What kind of psychology do you see in other classes? What class do you play, how does that fit your personality, and how do you show to the group that you are playing your character well?
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

I thought this thread was going to go a little more like this:

Bards - Always pining for the days of ubar yore, bards are generally giving players more concerned with the greater good than individual needs. You sort of always feel like they're quietly giving you a condescending stare from behind their monitor.

Beastlord - I want to be a monk. No wait, a shaman. No, just kidding, a mage. But then I don't get FD, I should go necro. But then I can't melee. I guess I should be a monk instead, no wait, a shaman, NO! wait...
    The perfect class for the discerning waffler.

Berserker - MOAR DAMAGE, MOAR SPLAT, OMG I CLICKED THE BUTTONS WHERE THE **** DID THE MOB GO. oh its dead. afk 15 mins when rdy2burn again. They like to kill things and are usually focused individuals. Or insane. Hard to tell.

Cleric - The epitome of a giving personality. Or they just want phat lewtz and know every guild needs more clerics. This class seems to be popular with females. That is, of course, an entirely subjective opinion based on anecdotal observation. Literally cannot do a single thing solo, even more so than "bad" solo classes like bard, so players who rock the cleric tend to be social people.

Druid - Nature loving tree hugging pacifists. Until you meet a good druid. Then out of the way because natures wrath comes with a fury. I find most druid players tend to share similar personality types as clerics, but tend to be even more giving/helpful. That may just be because the class operates better filling so many roles

Enchanter - The males are usually know-it-all hyper trolls with control issues, superiority complexes, and a lust for power, but generally have a good heart and want to help. The females tend to be some of the nicest people you'll ever meet in EQ. Generally a giving personality type. Not uncommon to see Enchanters keeping friends and guildies interested in the game by allowing them to progress through content they'd otherwise fail at. I call it a "high skill cap" class, so I feel most "good" Enchanters are often sharp cookies. I also play one, so my opinion is as conceited as it is biased.

Magician - Good mages tend to be some of the most analytical players on EQ. This doesn't mean they're always right, but most put in the effort to base their opinions in data. Bad mages tend to get out dps'd by their pets and turn into ragemonsters at the slightest provocation. IDK why, it's just a thing that happens. Be sure to poke fun at your mage friends by calling them a cothbot.

Monk - IDK man, monks are just monkin it up. Is it a coincidence that historically a lot of strong guilds have been lead by monks?

Necromancer - The lone guns of Norrath, Necros are not anti-social per say, but most Necro's I meet are quieter on average. Loyal friends and horrific enemies.

Paladins - Positive individuals who want to help their group as much as they help themselves, Paladins tend to embody the qualities of both a warrior and a cleric. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or if the personality type leans towards this kind of class, but Paladins are usually strong leaders. A very good friend to have.

Rogue - Rogues do it from behind and get all the ladies/men. Rogues seem to share Type-A personality players with the Warrior class. If your spouse hears a rustling in the bushes outside your bedroom window while they're changing, it's definitely a Rogue peeping in with SoS.

Shadow Knights - Backstabbing, lying, whiny, elitist -hats with no skill or regard for other peoples enjoyment of the game. Haha, just kidding SK's, you guys are cool. Some of you. The rest of you are dicks. Can you tell I use to main a Warrior? Seriously though I hope you guys choke on a bone chip. Just kidding. Maybe.

Shaman - Tough one. Sort of like a Druid, but different. Good Shamans tend to make everyone else look bad (and also really good in the process), but generally have the humility to not shove it in peoples faces. Hard to find good shamans these days.

Warrior - Solid leaders, generally Type-A personalities, and have a tendency to take things a little too seriously. The good ones are amazing friends to have and will keep a guild together and on track. The bad ones can tear one apart.

Wizard - Pewpew, . Wizards tend to share similar qualities with Magicians, but they want to do nothing but blow stuff up. Most Wizards I know are usually smart, motivated, and more than a little troll-y. Contrary to what some might think, leveling a Wizard teaches solid fundamentals. If you find one that was PL'd, pass on them and use your caster merc.

That was fun.
  3. Xikteny Augur

Uh oh.
    Azzurri, gotwar and Sancus like this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Reposnot mine, Repost from

https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/everquest-mysteries.471/page-8#post-1601650

Most relevant in the early era of everquest. I think the lines blur a lot with AAs, stat caps, default faction not meaning anything, lack of class dependence and illusions.

Dardo and Reht like this.
  5. fransisco Augur

Why would you link that. It's awful
    Llyweilun likes this.
  6. Ryanxp Augur

I disagree. Best. Post. Ever. And most relevant thus far.

Will read more later, but first posting link was spot on!

From 5th grade until my Frosh-years in college, I was satanic.I've always gravitated towards the darker sides of life, and so I played a necro. Now, no longer satanic but still into the Goth scene and music, and enjoy still listening death metal, black metal, and screamo, I rolled a necro again.

A Bard is someone who is musically inclined; also someone who's "street smart" possibly

Enchanters tend to be easy on the eyes. Someone who goes though relationships like they read the daily paper

Monks are very spiritual and tend to include these practices throughout their everyday lives.

Berserkers are very short-tempered and quickly to blame. A berserker is "like that one cool friend you have. He never comes to anything you invite him to, but when he does, he gets trashed, stabs a guest with a fireplace poker, breaks your tv, and when he leaves your like, 'Damn. He's cool.'"
    Reht likes this.
  7. Naugrin Augur

Good thread all the way around lol...it's inevitability short life span saddens me.
  8. Llyweilun Journeyman

Gotwar : great post :) you forgot rangers. buhhh lol

the foh post is just asocial crap.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

Bards - Either group nitro beastmode, or worthless melodybox but never anything in between.
    Beastlords - Nobody ever cared about anything they have to say. Extra useless if they're a cat.
    Berserkers - High maintenance wannabes. Great for PL'ing alts though.
    Clerics - Friendly on the outside. Judgemental sociopaths on the inside.
    Druids - Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Often gender dubious.
    Enchanters - See Bard, add a bigger mouth and flip a coin to see if they care.
    Mage - Entitled princesses. Best used to point and laugh at.
    Monk - Perpetually keepin' it real. Especially if you screw up.
    Necro - Gods and cheats, somehow still keep it on the DL.
    Paladin - That guy you always want around even though you can't stand him.
    Ranger - The character that has was sold four times but you still keep on your friends list.
    Rogue - Surprisingly friendly. Usually LFG. Always crickets. Occasionally cyber mistells you.
    Shadowknight - Knowledgable, but doesn't want to talk to you; off soloing what you'd need a raid for.
    Shaman - Cool, super cool. Though sometimes they ninja afk to find snacks. I think you know why.
    Warrior - First to log when the raid is over. Usually in a bad mood. Probably should have quit years ago.
    Wizard - Maxxed on AA and working on some random quest while whining he didn't roll a melee.
    adetia, Dardo, Thraine and 3 others like this.
  10. Dropfast Augur

Lol, great posts and most of it spot on I'd say.
  11. gotwar Gotcharms

I tried to get some Rangers in for the study. One tripped on a curb in the parking lot and died, the other got deathtouched by a bee in the waiting room, and the third couldn't stop firing his bow at everything blue in my office while shouting "BOOM, HEADSHOT" long enough to respond to my questions.
    Divinejustice, Dardo, Caell and 2 others like this.
  12. Repthor Augur

Warrior - First to log when the raid is over. Usually in a bad mood. Probably should have quit years ago.

sure nailed me spot on Dre
  13. Lily Augur

Personally, I like to tank and CC.
  14. TheDorfUnderlord New Member

Rogues- The OCD player. Spends hours going over parses, pissing off shamans the world over. Very impatient, whole entire body aches when not in burn mode. Would rather log out than to play without raid buffs and without a bard.

At least from my experience....sigh...
    Dardo likes this.
  15. Coagagin Guild house cat

Feelin' the toon love in this room. Yikes!

Wizards are too hard for most people to play (well).
  16. Fian Augur

Shhhh! You'll get us nerfed more. :)
    Dardo likes this.
  17. Lynnia Augur

Wonder what that says about me--I play a necro, a druid, an enchanter, and a mage, that are all level 105 (I 2 box so I generally play necro with druid and enchanter with mage), and I have a ton more lower level alts... I *do* mostly like int casters though.
  18. Dardo Journeyman

Awesome post! I would like to say after 17 years of playing as a ShadowKnight that you did not need to mention you played a War main. Every decent SK knows that Wars are kids that started with an "easy" class to handle (OMG spell's? Not for me I like one-click playing) then grew up and now as a higher level toon with considerable time spent growing their char they resent the limitations of being roughly equal too but less than (spells again) a mages earth pet.

So I started my EQ life based on having a pet AND being able to use a sword, big whoop. Er well that does coincide with my "pity a petty warrior" rant.

The first question: Do you have an affinity for the class you started as (not the first couple learners toons, but the one you actually worked on)? It seems in my experience this is the case and also why morons (people) are so ready to fight for their class.

The second question: How many people have been sucked in to a class for reasons that have either become obsolete via development direction (SKs and Necros - Fear kiting) or the dreaded nerf gun (SKs - Mortal Coil)?

All may answer except Bards. Damn all bards to nerf-hell. Seriously who thinks having some guy singing and playing the bongos while your being stabbed by several mobs and the cleric is lying in a pool of their own blood/urine is not a person that needs to visit Arkham Asylum permanently?

Last rant: Why did the trolls go from oddly lovable to oddly creepy looking? The ogres from cuddly wide-bodies to skeevy "Im not touching that thing and getting sticky all over my guantlets" peeping toms?

"To be a minionaire one must first be the minionette of a band of hooligans"
    -Shakespeare (or could be shakesspear dunno was an ogre warrior though)

Tribute to Fellowship of the 3; To the Plurd! For the ! Who is the third? It is the Dur!!!! (No offense meant for the use of the word "". Was a simple typo turned nickname - or blame Plurd if you dare!)

SK Ero/nameless server - Like if you know the Fellowship!!
  19. gotwar Gotcharms

SHOTS FIRED!

MC is still crazy powerful in it's current form!

Leave on the old models for trolls and ogres. Your life will be much more enjoyable, fun, and scientists say you'll have more, better sex.

[IMG]
  20. Chitum Journeyman

1. I didn't die I only bruised myself.
    2. It was a Bixie not a bee
    3. And my throat was sore so I just went ahead and made an audio trigger for every time head-shot proc'd. Sounds like a symphony my DEX is so high.
    gotwar likes this.