Warrior - What proc aug to use?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Goth, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Unknown1234 New Member

Here is a post I started a few years ago that still holds true. Overall it is situational based and based on the skill of the player. http://defiant.forumotion.net/t135-ac-stat-aug-vs-rune-aug-primary-weapon

For higher hitting content the AC stat aug will provide better mitigation. You will lose the AE component of hate. Does anyone have a link to the raw data on where it says "rune procs provide hate at 2 points of hate per point of rune" as Tearsin Rain stated?
  2. Chaosflux Augur

It's called info dump for the Commonwealth.

The 2 to 1 ratio isn't actually true (anymore, it was always a guess Brael made)

However with bold attacks and relevant hate mods it's substantially more in today's game than 2 to 1.

Forgot to add rune aggro in the last 3 to 4 years has when tested acted oddly or contrary to previously established "knowledge" so I will leave room to say I could be wrong.

And the section heal aggro in that post is entirely inaccurate and blatantly wrong FYI.
  3. Makavien Augur

The 2-1 aggro thing with runes is because it counts the hate of the rune cast effect and then the hate of the dmg absorbed by a rune that is where the 2x modifier comes from and it is real. The only time it didn't help was before blessed runes where a rune would not always land on you there for not giving you the hate from the amount of dmg absorbed.

But to unknown1234 there are quite a few things wrong in that guide ie hate increased by base damage which has nothing to do with the amount of hate generated I am pretty sure it always goes off the dmg bonus of a weapon regardless if you can hit the npc or not. AC augs are really only good for padding magelo your much better off using a pure dmg aug on single target raid encounters and a rune weapon with a rune augment for aoe encounters.

Back when all these newer people started looking at magelo and saying omg all the good old warriors use ac augs we must use them when we were never really using them we just used them to give us the most ac /hp possible on magelo. Even though our dps is quite low every little bit helps kill things faster when you have 12 + tanks in a raid them all increasing their base damage by 12 is much better than 1 warrior or 2 warriors and 4 knights mitigating like 5 dmg per hit more in the overall picture.

Really it's about time to make rune augments = dmg + rune + ac + hp + heroic agil and single target augments = dmg + force of anger + ac + hp + heroic agil. The same thing needs to happen for dps augments because procs as a whole are about 5 + years behind where they should be.

Really it's not a debate about which augment to use it is more when to bandolier from the rune (aoe) set up to the dmg or force of anger (single target) set up when it is relevant again.
  4. Chaosflux Augur

Curious since I wasn't able to get a reliable parse ever (IMO) how did you parse rune aggro to prove it is indeed exactly 2x the value of the rune effect.

The swing aggro part you are referencing: is dmg + dB/swing that was at one point dev confirmed.
  5. Makavien Augur

I never parsed it but Yoda did and at one point developers stated why blessed rune became a thing so it made sure we got the hate of both things every time it proced.

I have been asking my guild leader to program us a hate parser wish someone who is smarter than me would come up with one would be a really nifty tool for us tanks.

And it's not exactly 2 points of hate per point of dmg absorbed it's the hate attached to the spell effect on lucy and then 1 point of hate per point of absorb.I think it was always like 50 or so less than double the hate of the stun effect.

I also believe the developer statement was in voa beta or after voa beta where they stated blessed runes were coded to always give us the hate from the amount of damage absorbed but I guess this could be parsed by using an enchanter as the tank and letting them only cast 1 rune and use pure hate abilities to take aggro off the enchanter with no swinging or anything else done to the npc.
  6. Makavien Augur

And are you sure it was dmg+db I could swear dmg had nothing to do with it plus the many people saying for a lot of years now that the dmg on your weapon has nothing to do with swing aggro ?
  7. Brohg Augur

No, many people have said for a lot of years now that the damage you deal to the enemy has nothing to do with swing agro. The dmg stat on the weapon has everything to do with swing agro.
  8. Chaosflux Augur

I think there is a loss in translation between what is true and what you are remembering.

Long story short
    [[Dmg + DB]*hate mod]... barring any major bugs or changes to mechanics. Different hate mods (READ: 1 gear 1 AA) stacking additively off the base values.
  9. Makavien Augur

Maybe I been playing a lot of years so its kinda I forgot more than new players know like the old saying some people use about a job they have.
  10. Damoncord Augur

the word Damage in two places is what makes it tricky.

What it boils down to is "you hit for X Damage" doesn't matter for agro, for agro it's the Damage stat on the weapon + Damage bonus that calculates your agro per swing.

That's the clearest way I can think of stating it.
  11. Unknown1234 New Member

FinalStand - An agro parser would be something I too would be interested in using. I too have been playing since almost day one and miss Yoda's spreadsheets.

I remember when I was parsing the real mitigation in game during RoF and saw the mitigation favored AC aug. Was it used for padding? Yes. Was it better than Rune for Mitigation? Yes on raids. However, I do agree that it is also moot today in terms of noticable mitigation. So that leaves me back to my original goal of trying to determine how much agro we are gaining from Rune Vs. other augs such as pure hate Augs.

Every thing we do in combat with either add or reduce to our agro. At one point Yoda on SteelWarrior parsed the hate values for Rune III or Rune IV to only being 450 or 500 hate. While Anger IV had 800 Hate, and Enraging Blow had 700. Back then many were using Stun augs but it still did not have the same raw hate as Anger or EB. In today's end game you really don't see a difference with agro in the augments.

I would just like to see recent data on hate numbers for our abilities, augs, etc... I have played with some parses and programs over the years but I admit I am not brilliant enough to effectivly create a tool that can show us the real vaules. I think we all know what works in game even if some of us have different opinions on preferences based on the situation; but wouldn't it be cool to see the data behind the methods?