Just some wishful thinking.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Chitum, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Chitum Journeyman

So i have been playing off/on, mostly on, since 2002. This is just a wish list of some things I'd like to see. Now on the grand scheme of things these aren't really a big deal. Just some tweaks that I think would make the game more interesting.
    1. Being able to use all alpha/numeric keys for naming pets/mercs.
    2. Like the Leather village Jerkin chest piece that can hold any hero forge material silk-plate. I'd like to see more items like this for other armor slots and being able to get them in all level ranges.
    3. Back in the day(House of Thule) Sony used to do 2/1 cash. For example 20 dollars got you 2000DBC. For a short time (12 hrs or so) they would change it to where 20 dollars got you 4000DBC. I think this is better than price reductions because you could buy the cash but wait to use it if there was something you really wanted. Like I have 3 toons on this account when I buy ornaments or name changes I do it for all 3 toons at once.
    4 And lastly I'd like to see eqplayers.com back

Just some fun tidbits. I don't know how feasible all this would be and like I said not that important compared to some other bugs that definitely need to be worked out.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not sure 3 was such a good deal from DBG's perspective, otherwise they would have done it more often.

However I think 4 would be sligthly more likely, now more than ever, since moving the characters to an actual database should make eqplayers slightly easier to implement.
    A web-based database browser is pretty standard functionality, I would be suprised if their internal tools didn't already do that... making a character browser with a web-interface(in a user presentable state), is probably more a question of how they prioritize their dev-time, than it being difficult...

Personally i would prefer they spend their quality time on making a great expansion, without too much copypaste from earlier stuff.
    But tbh the first thing that came to my mind when i heard they were moving characters to a real database, was that it would make eqplayers.com easier to make and maintain...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Chitum Journeyman

Im not sure 3 was such a good deal from DBG's perspective, otherwise they would have done it more often.

I am not being critical but isn't cyber money free? I mean its not tradeable currency outside of the game so in reality they could give us 10000 in game plat for .01 cents and I don't think they'd lose money.

Did like what you had to say about number 4.
  4. Brohg Augur

No, it's not free, and you say in the first post why. Any unspent Daybreakbux are a liability to the company; they're goods/services that have been paid for but not delivered. Adding the middle step of converting money-money to Daybreak-money is good for their cash flow, but aren't actual profits until they're cleared.
  5. Chitum Journeyman

I see. OK makes more sense now.
  6. Feldon New Member

If they make the data available to the public through an API, then people will step in and provide websites with functionality far above and beyond the old eqplayers site.

The reason fansites come and go is that they require a tremendous amount of work to update, add new information, etc. An API site is constantly updated and needs less intervention by the fansite operator.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

1) Daybreaks naming policy says names should be suitable to Everquest. Now granted they don't enforce this much but adding numerics to pet names would be a bad idea in my opinion. Daybreak won't spend any resources on enforcing high to mid fantasy names ( and with the resources they have I agree with this) but I really don't think they want to encourage pets named R2D2 and C3PO. :)

3) Also does not make sense for Daybreak to have sales on Marketplace items AND have sales on Daybreak cash. I think the only real reason I can think of is that back in the day when they first started using having it on sale got people used to the idea. And from SOEs perspective they sort of messed up how they did that.

4) Read this thread as it sounds like Daybreak may provide the ability for third party sites to provide even more info then eqplayers did. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ving-third-party-sites-expansion-data.234877/ I can't verify any of it myself but if true it sounds like it will be good for us as players.
  8. GoneFission Augur

What I remember most about station cash sales was that the two for one applied to the SC cards, not just adding cash from the account credit card. The reason I remember that is there was a Blockbuster video rental nearby at the time, and that was the only place within an hour drive I could get the SC card.
  9. Draig Journeyman

This. Memory scanning techniques require a lot of maintenance after each patch. Rift had an interesting technique where they would publish weekly xml dumps to an open ftp server for anyone to access. Anytime a new item was discovered it got added to the dump with along with mob information and location data. Databases popped up left and right literally overnight. It didn't do anything for character profiles though, which they could have included in the dumps if they so chose. I'm pretty sure they no longer use this anymore since their add-on API has matured enough to allow for collection of data through that means, but it worked very well and took hardly any work on their end.

Hopefully this rumor of API functionality forthcoming is true, because this game sorely needs it with how large it is now.
    Feldon likes this.
  10. Feldon New Member

I reached out to the Rift folks about doing an API for characters. They're not able to justify the staff for it. :(
  11. Critts Augur

Yea and a "beat the game" button
  12. Critts Augur

This post was not intended for this thread sorry.