The definition of addiction

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Kobrah Augur

I honestly don't think there's enough content to become addicted. You'd run out of things to do before you would get hooked. Become interested in is something different, but not being able to function a day without? I don't think so, but then again it's an opinion so.
  2. Frael Elder

Exactly. Time played on one character is an indication of addiction, that many characters really just shows how quickly you get bored.

Edit- in hindsight maybe that's a bit harsh. Sounds more like you're addicted to the casual experience, or maybe just character creation.
  3. savrin Augur

I would think the opposite of the OPs situation would be addiction. It seems like the OP gets bored of one character very easily and creates new ones. Either that or they have ADHD like symptoms where they cannot stay focused on one character. I think anyone doing the same thing for 15+ years like EQ addicts do is a pretty serious addiction though, but not because the OP has 100 alts. That's because the OP may be indecisive on what their main is.
  4. Risiko Augur

I love the levelling, and the higher level you get, the longer it takes to level. So, I start over a lot.

Also, I like seeing how good, how fast, and how efficient I can get at leveling a character. It's like a challenge to see how quickly and efficiently I can level a character.

So, there you have it. That's why I do it.

I definitely do it way more in EQ than other games, but I have a small army in EQ2 and WoW as well.

Ps. All the haters in here need to take a chill pill. So much hate.
  5. Kezik Lorekeeper

This made me think of the Bob Saget scene in Half Baked.
  6. Dre. Altoholic

My accounts look somewhat like OP's.

54 characters on Bristle.
    85+ of every class back before autogrant/heroics.
    Multiple 1.0+2.0's most classes.. (I think I'm on 5th Cleric shield)

Most of my characters were the result of a friend starting an alt and wanting someone to level up with. Also have a bunch scattered over various servers, mostly to take a break from the social circle.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Ruven_BB Augur

I have 10 characters over 105. Two finished with brells and stone tear, one fully raid geared in TBM and artisian auged. I have numerous twinks, had maxed out character on most TLPs at start except Phinny and killed OMM on Quarm.

I have issues, I know.

The reason I didn't do Phinny is the xp is crap for an accelerated TLP, the idea doesn't fit the implementation for me. Not complaining, just choose not to participate.

Ruven
  8. Orbital101 Augur

Lol you definitely dont know me... though i always do with what they throw at me. Im a true addicted fan and proud of it!

Been unhappy and complaining is part of the casual as much as the hardcore addicted or not.
  9. jeskola pheerie

I don't know you, but I can read your forum post, which is way off on the subject of addiction, where you stated most addicts are happy with what they get and not annoyed. I have spent many years dealing with addicted people and this could not be further from the truth.
  10. Heile Lorekeeper

11. Orbital101 Augur

Some of the emotional signs or symptoms of video game addiction include:
    • Feelings of restlessness and/or irritability when unable to play
    • Preoccupation with thoughts of previous online activity or anticipation of the next online session
    • Lying to friends or family members regarding the amount of time spent playing
    • Isolation from others in order to spend more time gaming
    Some of the physical signs or symptoms of video game addiction include:
    • Fatigue
    • Migraines due to intense concentration or eye strain
    • Carpal tunnel syndrome caused by the overuse of a controller or computer mouse
    • Poor personal hygiene
    Call our hotline today at 1-888-344-8837 to begin the road to recovery!
  12. Nocomplaints Elder

Addiction is when your power is out at house but Internet is still working so you take care battery out of car and use converter to plug in modem and computer and keep playing. Don't judge me.
    Tatanka likes this.
  13. Badhand Elder

It's called an inverter.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I respect your dedication and ingenuity too much to judge you... well played :)

Tat
  15. Drogba Augur

Softcore.

Over 2 separate 3-4 year periods, I'd play almost every second I was awake, and occasionally slept with a headset on in case someone wanted to audio-trigger wake me.
  16. Murphy Elder

Sorry to hear you were on Vazaelle. Completely worthless crate of eurotards and cheaters. They know who they are.
  17. Badhand Elder

My older brother first started playing EQ around the time of it's inception and introduced me to the game helping me level up my first few chars with his Magician.

After a number of years his marriage split up(not because of a gaming addiction) and he started dating a women whose marriage also split up. She blames the split up of her marriage on her ex husbands gaming addiction and told my brother she wouldn't date him if he plays video games.

Luckily my main is a Ranger so soloing isn't too much of a problem.