Unsolved Norrathian Mysteries - A Question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Riley, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Riley Augur

Roshen's recent post for the August update alludes to the fact that many quests items weren't properly flagged as quest items.

I have a similar question for the developers: Throughout classic, Kunark, Velious, Luclin, and PoP, how many quests (that have been internally confirmed to actually function) actually exist?
  2. Vrinda Augur

A better question would be: Throughout classic, Kunark, Velious, Luclin, and PoP, how many undiscovered quests (that have been internally confirmed to actually function) actually exist?
  3. Numiko Augur

There was a dev several years ago who looked into a lot of mysteries that people brought up, and even fixed some old quest that had never been completed because they were broken.

I remember a few like the fellow in neriaks cleric guild hall who will give bit of text if you ask him who is Innoruuk turned out to be dead ends, he said it may have been part of a planned quest but it appeared to dead end.

there are plenty of unexplained mysteries for example the firepots that tell you that your not holding the key when you click on them, no quest or key has ever been found to ever activate them.

I was always intrigued with Seru's sword that was none/none. no quest was ever found for it. I have one still in the bank, i'm going to have to check on it after the patch to see if it has a new tag!
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It's of my opinion that the "hundreds of unsolved quests" quote is highly misleading. I think for these many quests, a large majority of them are either broken, or not implemented into the game at all. The patch might surprise us a couple times, but I'm thinking we're going to just see the QUEST tag added to a whole bunch of items that we already knew were for quests, but just lacked the tag.

That said, I would love to have quests attached to those random unique items that have seemingly no purpose. Such as Terrorantula's legs and heart, or Cracktusk's two tusks.
  5. ModRanger Lorekeeper

6. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

There are a ton of unfinished quests in Classic and Kunark. It's not that the player base never figured them out, it's because the developers never completed the quests for people to do. Some drops were just never attached to any quests etc...
  7. Tsolaes Elder

I've been trying to finish the Fish Dinner quest for about ten years, I've never seen "a darkwater piranha" spawn since Nektulos was revamped. Its either unfinished or broken! My kerran buddy Roary Fishpouncer wants his Fish Dinner!
    Egat likes this.
  8. fransisco Augur

seru's sword isn't for a quest. it's a trophy. it's none/none to make sure no one can use it (including pets, which could for awhile).

also the firepots were meant as transportation for evil characters since getting to docks was so much more dangerous. I'm pretty sure there is a quest for that key. Lots of casters used to bind there.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Tharrg Augur

Yeah there were tons of unfinished quests ..... I have suggested for years that Devs should hold a weekly event on forums.. where they find an old quest that is complete and never done.. and give a hint.. "IE Frog so and so in the zone blah blah balh... has some interesting discussions related to {quest trigger word}" Then let players search out the quests and see who can finish them first. Then have another group work on finding old broken quests and fixing them... They did this before with the DemiLich cap in Kunark, as well as the whistling fists and several other fun items... It was in GOD that they finished those quests and it was fun to do them.
    Azbaelus likes this.
  10. Numiko Augur

I always thought seru's sword was maybe meant to be used to make a bane weapon (which was popular in Luclin) to be used against the original top boss in that expansion, Luclin herself. I remember reading an interview with Brad several years after he left SOE in which he said luclins tower (which appears on the box art for that expansion) was really meant to be the end zone in Luclin, but they never got around to finishing it.

Because the tower (and Luclin) never did make it into that expansion, the quest was just never put in.

and yes I know if you use a guide key on the pots will teleport you, just like to see if there was a quest to make a key for everyone else to use!
  11. Tharrg Augur

Seru's sword at one point had stats.. However because players found the way to get him by cheating and not getting a key the Dev's removed the swords use by making it None None...
  12. Numiko Augur

That was all the XXX of sad exploitation stuff that was put on him when dev's caught people G-fluxing over the wall and into his chamber. Those items are equippable and usable by players .. only problem is all the stats are set to negative 99. as far as i can recall the sword was never usable.
  13. Tharrg Augur

Correct. This also helped get the BFG banned as well
  14. Tadenea Augur

Tharrg likes this.
  15. Tharrg Augur

Nice... so it is possible to go back and look into quest items and track down paths of quests. I would love to see some quests be remade or fixed.. would be a great addition to the game....
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. CrazyLarth Augur

Will they be flagging items of only solvable quests?
  17. Brohg Augur

That's super unlikely, CrazyLarth. What'll happen is they run a script automating the first step of the investigation that developer did in the issue tracker, adding an item tag to each find. There are three more general filters to pass through for each item to actually be used/useful - and even then the reward is a complete mystery, very likely to be the basest of junk given the age of the quests.
  18. Doucha New Member

The dev finally fixed all the quests on that particular ticket and the patch notes on test today included this.
    - Rumors abound that brave adventurers are needed in Kunark! Long-forgotten heroes in Cabilis, Overthere, and Firiona Vie are offering long-forgotten quests.

I havent been able to find any new quest NPCs yet!
  19. fransisco Augur

In beta, the firepots were going to be a transportation system for the dark races since they were kos at every dock. However it was decided that dark races should just have a harder time traveling for role play reasons.
    Though I guess I should ask which firepots you mean. I'm talking about the ones that were walled off in neriak.
    Do you mean those, or the ones in timorous deep?
  20. Anhari Augur

I know that on Luclin there were indications of quest for "other whisperlings" such as "Look for Scorpialis in the Pit" when you finish the shield quest. The text also intimates that you can strengthen your shield (whisper) so she can help more. As it stands today, no-one has ever found more on this

The only named scorpion ever found in the pit and his name was Tailfang. I think that the dagger you get from his quest is named scorpialis but no additional information has been found.