Ok, what I believe is an issue regarding Veteran Rewards....

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Enigma Maitreya, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Enigma Maitreya Augur

So, I have come to find out that Veteran Rewards are limited?

I am not sure I remember them being limited (claims/use). Why would EQ put such a limitation on this reward? So, if what I am being told is correct, you use the /veteranreward on a character, then delete that character you have lost the that claim for all time?

I am very surprised at this considering the basically unlimited claims of a mech merc, what is is 999 and I may be in 98N now?

Seriously, wont you rethink this OR at the very least, not that it would do me any good mind you, that when claimed you let people know how many are left and deleting the character will NOT restore the claim?
  2. Lynnia Augur

They've always been limited to 1 character per year /played, and it's always been the case that once used, it's used, even if you delete the character. Obviously I can't speak for them considering changing that system.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Would you please link the announcement that the claim would not be reinstated if the character was deleted? That is if you can ....

Dated 07/18/2008

https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-51037

"If you've been playing EverQuest for longer than a year, no doubt you’ve seen a message prompting you to type/veteranrewardto claim your Veteran Rewards. Congratulations!
    Veteran Rewards are special items awarded to players based on the amount of time they have been subscribed to EverQuest. The longer you subscribe, the more you earn. The awarding of Veteran Rewards is based on the entitled time on your account: specifically, how many paid days your account has been subscribed.
    You can see an ESTIMATE of how much time an account has by typing /play in game. This will give you the time in years, but it is rounded so there may be some discrepancies.
    Veteran rewards are updated once a month, therefore if your account rolls over to another year of rewards in the middle of the month you will not see a change until the next month
    If you bought a year's subscription your account will be credited for that year. Your entitled time will not increase until that entire year has passed and you sign up for another subscription (be that a 1 month, 3 month, or year plan).
    No matter how much played time a particular character has, Veteran Rewards are based on the account. If you move your character to a different account, your character will reflect the appropriate number of Vet Rewards for THAT account...not the previous one.
    For more information on Veteran Rewards, visit the Knowledge Base. Here are some Veteran Reward FAQ's addressed there:"

One would think this implicitly states there is claim accounting "If you move your character to a different account, your character will reflect the appropriate number of Vet Rewards for THAT account...not the previous one."
  4. beryon Augur

The earliest reference to the policy I could find was this post on Monkly Business from 2005. Note that vet rewards did not exist before 2005, so it's always been that way.

I don't see what that has to do with deleting a character.
  5. Stomped Journeyman

If you remove a character from the account and petition you get the claimed rewards back, I think he's saying if you transfer them you should also? not sure.
  6. Enigma Maitreya Augur

As far as I remember Monkly Business was not and .... to the best of knowledge never been an official part of EQ regardless of the owner of either.

It is stated that it has always been the policy of EQ to NOT reinstate the claim for an account if the character is deleted as in removed as in ..... transferred.

I highlighted this "If you move your character to a different account, your character will reflect the appropriate number of Vet Rewards for THAT account...not the previous one" because it directly refutes the claim ..... well mostly :)

Now then again the point here is that it has never been declared or openly shown as in demonstrated clearly to anyone that the consumption of a /veteranreward is permanent. It is NOT part of the login message, it is not displayed or made available anywhere. What are we really talking about here as a reward, probably the gate to the Guild Lobby is 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% of what is used. This very same subject is raised in several threads about quality of life improvements, such as Origin being able to be set to PoK, such as the ability for all class's to be able to gate to PoK.

So I am saying such a "Veteran Reward" is limited, in a game that suggest one should play on multiple servers AND be able to remove a character because there is no longer interest in the character and start a new character. While the ability to be enabled to get to buy a "mech" mercenary is essentially unlimited?
  7. Nolrog Augur

The veteran rewards were limited in exactly the way the OP describes since day one. You always lost them if you claimed them on a toon and then deleted the too. Sometimes, a sympathetic GM will re-instate them for you, but IIRC, most times, they do not.

It's been my personal frustration for years. I even sent Holly a tweet around anniversary time asking her to consider opening them up to all toons. But it hasn't been changed in any way, shape or form. The other things you refer to in the claim window (veteran rewards do not show up there), are expansion and LoN type rewards, which have different limitations and stuff.
    Iila and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  8. Gialana Augur

There is this wiki post on Allakhazam which claims to be sourced from the DBG knowledge base.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Veteran_Rewards
    However, the knowledge base seems to have been decimated, and I can't find an article regarding veteran rewards, at all. That's pretty lousy.

DGB should definitely make available an article covering the restrictions of veteran rewards so that people have some place official to answer their questions.

In the article I linked, I found something interesting that I didn't remember ever reading. If you transfer a character with vet rewards to an account that has already used all of its vet reward flags, the character you transfer will not be able to use veteran rewards until the account earns another flag.

I don't think it serves a useful purpose anymore to restrict the number of vet rewards flags per account. So if DGB decided to remove the flag limit, I would fully back the decision (not that my approval means anything).

My recollection from when veteran rewards were introduced is that SOE stated the flags would be gone forever once they were claimed--that you wouldn't get the flag back by deleting the character. I don't know how else I could have known if it didn't come from SOE when vet rewards were introduced. I've always been careful about claiming the veteran rewards on only characters I knew I wouldn't delete, and sometimes not even then.

I don't think you'll get much sympathy from DGB, unfortunately. The first sentence in what I quoted is not true. There are still remnants that DBG/SOE used to make the veteran rewards policies public. In a post on these forums (I searched for veteran rewards contained in thread title), Fanra stated that his/her wiki doesn't contain the claim limitations because the knowledge base contained all of the informations. There's also the link I posted which is sourced from the knowledge base. Even the "Tip of the Week" you linked says there's more information in the knowledge base, though the link is dead (super helpful).

The second sentence in what I quoted is mostly true in that the claim policies are no longer officially available from DBG, which is pretty bad. But there are still several threads on this forum where other players have relayed the informations.

I hope this limitation hasn't caused you a lot of problems, and I wish you the best if you try to petition this. If you petition, I recommend you not tell them that the information is not and has never been available because the CSR you get may know that that's not true.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Ok, and hopefully no one takes this personally, but the claim of loss is at this time unable to be substantiated other than through personal memory and or an opinion on one or more posts.

Here is the text you are advised of when you log a character in,

"Type /veteranreward to mark this character veteran reward enabled. Once a character is flagged for veteran rewards they will get all veteran rewards this account is flagged for and they will get new veteran rewards as this account qualifies for."

Please note there is a DISTINCT ABSENCE of any CAP OR PERMANENT CONSUMPTION of the veteran reward. This alone should be a compelling reason for change, as the consumer is NOT being advised the reward is conditional / has restrictions.

Now, both my accounts are 16+years and I played from day 1 of EQ on Veeshan till some where around 2010 fully paid on both accounts. I have no memory of there ever being a statement by EQ that veteran rewards were both caped and lost on character deletion.

It is also my memory that EQ always promoted the creation of multiple characters on at the very least a Main Live Server, FV (Role Playing Preferred) and Zek (yeah just 1 now I KNOW) (PvP). As I have characters on all 3 rule sets I would have been ... sensitized to this limit. This is to say what we are talking about is memories and my experience is memories tend to become unreliable the older they are OR the more disconnected they are from the event.

Again the point of this thread is to:
    (best choice) simply get the veteran rewards enabled for all characters on all accounts
    (next best choice) the previous but for all access, gold and silver only
    (next best choice) the previous but for all access only
    (next best choice) IF an account qualifies for veteran rewards then on that account there is no limit to the number of times the veteran reward can be used. IF a character is transferred off that account then the veteran reward flag for that character is reset to disabled.
    (Last Choice) Provide, in the login message OR on the Claim Window, the number of Veteran Rewards for the account and when the Veteran Reward is selected (on the left side) a DETAILED EXPLANATION of the policy is displayed on the right hand side.
  10. Gearrwin Lorekeeper

This is what it shows when you try to claim the veteran rewards on a toon. As other have stated it has always been this way. It clearly states that you have a limited number of characters you can flag. I believe that limit is 1 toon per year on the account.

I do agree that if you transfer a toon with veteran rewards to another account you should be given back a slot for veteran rewards on the original account. It doesn't seem fair that they don't do that now.

[IMG]

Edit: Question for daybreak or anyone that knows. If you transfer a toon with veteran rewards to another account, does the destination account consume a veteran reward slot on the account?
    Imak likes this.
  11. Gialana Augur

This is something I didn't know or remember. But according to the Allakhazam article I linked, it does indeed consume a veteran reward slot on the destination account.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

My reply isn't about losing the slot but just some additional info.

Having transferred toons between accounts two years or so ago I can say that at that time any toon transferred will only have the veteran rewards the account they are now on has. If it was a brand new account no veteran rewards will be available. My reply isn't about losing the slot but just some additional info.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As to what is the actual case I am assuming the way the OP found out about this was from a GM after petitioning. If not that is what they should do based on current support guidelines if an answer is not available under support you need to open a petition. They will tell you what the rules are on the veteran rewards so Enigma can be happy. If he wants to know the answer directly from Daybreak he will have to petition also because as far as I know, at present, they do not have that policy available for review.
  14. Iila Augur

Or he will continue arguing with people who are trying to be helpful.
  15. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Nah, the plain and simple way I found out is creating characters (beyond the first 1 on each account) on FV, I started getting, "The Veteran Reward request claim request is not being being processed since you have already claimed all available veteran rewards on other characters".

My contention is
    a) there is no mention of the claimed reward being lost if you delete the character and I will assert again there is no memory on my part of this being part of the rewards nor does there appear to be any documentation stating that.
    b) there is no mention of how many rewards are left to claim OR used.

Both of these issues are, in my opinion, a significant deviation from all other rewards that I am aware of (standard disclaimer there :) ).

Again, I would think this is a compelling reason for change as the customer can not intelligently make decisions because there is insufficient information to make an intelligent decision on. In addition, I see nothing that indicates the customer would even be notified that they have received a new veteran reward to claim.

In short it is all hearsay and guesswork on the customers part. I suspect there may be more than a few newer to EQ that have qualified for this reward and can find nothing that explains the cryptic "limited number of characters", thus just ignoring it, assuming when such limit is reached they will be told, given no indication of the apparent deletion of a character also deletes the reward, they may in fact become .... disturbed.

Best solution is to simply remove veteran rewards and enable it for all accounts. That is of course my opinion.
  16. Schadenfreude Augur

All the eqlive.station.sony.com links are naturally dead however the official 2005 launch message was as follows.

CatsPaws and Derd like this.
  17. Derd Augur

The above post is correct. I'm sure E will now inform us how its not good enough since we don't get this message every time you log in.

And no, enabling veteran rewards for every character is not a fix it's giving something that is meant to be limited and special away for no reason.
    Schadenfreude and CatsPaws like this.
  18. Warpeace Augur

It would be nice if you could recycle them like Heroic characters to include a counter showing how many Vet flags your account has available.
  19. Lynnia Augur

All the old Knowledge Base links evaporated, so although I'm certain the loss of rewards upon deletion of character was stated there, I can't link directly to it. However, https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/veterans-rewards.2710/ threads there allude to the rule and state that only in special circumstances was anyone granted the claim back after a character was deleted, and http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Veteran_Rewards Allas records that you could not get the flag back after deleting a character. Moving a character is not deleting a character, however I would see it as "deleting" the character from one account and thus losing the claim there and "creating" a character on a 2nd account, thus using up one of the vet rewards slots on that account.
  20. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Hum, I do not believe I ever questioned that nor have I seen anyone else question it. Personally I have never experienced the veteran reward just leaving a character it was on.

Ok, it would seem that a number of people choose to focus on the absence of information to prove it some how exists. Let me make this as clear to you as I can, I have no memory NOR have I ever had any experience that supports the deletion of a character deletes the reward. In conjunction with that, I came back to EQ after leaving in 2010. I came back to a totally screwed up account of characters displaced on wrong servers, sex changes, level changes (mid 80's back to 50's). I have 9 characters on one account on Bert I have 8 on the other account. On the account with 8, i started getting the message when I created my 3rd character on FV on that account, the Original (always had veteran reward) + 1 received a veteran reward 8 + 1 + 1 = 10 /played gives 16 years I challenge any of you that are being so obsessed with trying to prove something that is clearly no longer documented, that I have the right amount of rewards, on that account. GO FOR IT OR you can lose your obsession and pay attention, the point of this thread is to highlight there is a TOTAL LACK OF INFORMATION for the customer to make any assertions at all. You want a context? Fine I went all access, I petition on the accounts I said there were characters on various shards that did not belong tghere, wrong sex, wrong levels etc. The reply (actually the 3rd reply) was yes the characters are on the shards you indicate and all is well. I again challenge you all in your obsession to demonstrate how I can prove anything about where and what the characters should have been. Do you get the context yet? How does anyone prove they are being shorted veteran rewards, when in fact nothing exists for them to base such a claim on?

I am not angry with DB I am rather incredulous about some posters insisting the issue is something it clearly isn't. I have druids to port my characters around so the Gate to Guild Hall is NOT a show stopper for me. I would have hoped that you could put your obsessions aside and try really hard to contribute to helping newer players AND DB address an issue.

So it is a time for you to show just exactly how good you are, prove that I have the correct number of Veteran Rewards on that account. If you can not then perhaps you may have opened a door to understanding what this thread is all about. I can just walk away from it, BUT that does NOTHING for newer players and IT DOES NOTHING towards helping DB recognize there is an issue. So my motive is helping other players and DB ... just exactly what are your motives? :)