Why must someone watch the Sleeper awaken?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cicelee, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Critt Augur

I appreciate the the concise answer. I had a blast while it lasted, but will stick with my sub cancellation.
    Skelify and Bhikkhu like this.
  2. Numiko Augur

I am disappointed, but I thought it should have been both instanced from the start.

When I saw sleepers 1.0 would cease to be offered as soon as the open world sleeper was awoken I thought it was a poor design choice.

Allowing others to influence a persons game play on a sever that was advertised as having fully instanced raids just to avoid this sort of problem is just wrong in my opinion.
  3. Iputthegrrrinranger Elder

Yeah, very unfortunate decision. Unfortunately, a dealbreaker for me. :(

I suppose it would have been wiser to ask for an answer to this before investing time in this round of TLP's, but hindsight is 20/20.
    Sophism, Bhikkhu and Critt like this.
  4. Iputthegrrrinranger Elder

I don't think this was a motivating factor. There's not a ton of difference to DBG in these items selling for massive amounts of krono. Those krono are already purchased and being redistributed by players. Even if they weren't, is there an economic benefit in selling one SoD for 100 kronos over 100 SoD's selling for 2 kronos each? Probably rather similar in terms of people purchasing them to begin with.

The reasoning is likely more related to not seeing enough reward for investing the development hours. You measure the amount of good will lost and how many people will quit against how much time it'll take your devs to make the change, test, etc..

In the end, the dev hours were probably worth more than our disappointment.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  5. Radien Elder

Farewell to you and all the other non-gnomes listed above. o/
    Your_Ad_Here, liveitup1216 and Critt like this.
  6. Kieel Pureblade Journeyman

Gnome mask doesn't add Charisma or class apparently.
  7. Tepin Journeyman

What could possibly be the reason to NOT instance this content? Is it a time/dev resources thing? Is it you just don't "want" to? From a perspective of "this content progressed as designed"...well guess what? This entire server an a "break" away from original design. The instancing of content is the primary draw that this server has and why it is the most populated and, I think I am safe to assume at a server level, is the most lucrative amongst ALL the servers currently online with it requiring a subscription to play on AND it is the most populated. Nothing about Phinigel is "as designed".

If it is Dev/Resource thing, I can somewhat understand that...but your reasoning of "this content progressed as intended" is a complete cop out.

Do the community a solid here...make ST an instance where people can experience both versions.
  8. Critt Augur

lol that's cool, glad to see I was right and it was nothing but pure selfishness on your part that made you not want the 1.0 loot available anymore
    Skelify likes this.
  9. Hateseeker Augur

Indirect pvp is something Daybreak always facilitated or at least permitted on tlp. Phingel instancing curbed it, but waking the Sleeper as an aggressive action against the whole server was an easily foreseeable result, as was Daybreak ruling that content proceeded as intended. Doesn't make it right.
  10. Aenoan Augur

Inb4 Lock.

Still seems silly that people would quit over just one small, minor part of EverQuest that most people didn't really participate in on live anyway. I think whats more confusing is people seem to think it's different just because the dragon names are, but its not. It's all the same and your gonna deny yourself fun expansions that you may have not explored or played at all over a zone.
    It sucked the devs by the sounds of it are trying to come up with some kinda solution.
    But are likely just trying to get Quarm ready right now. So let's just let sleeping dogs lie.
    And enjoy the rest of the game.

PS.
    No matter how badly AoS / TL keeps messing stuff up, they won't ever be hated enough to have a rap song written about them.
  11. Critt Augur

Bottom line for me is this was supposed to be a instanced server that allowed people to play and experience all the content. While this is a small portion of what EQ raiding has to offer it is one that I wanted and didn't get to have.

Why would i continue to pay for a service that doesn't deliver what I wanted? In the end there is only one thing that companies understand and that is do they buy my service or product and if not why? So I'm putting my money where my mouth is, not that one sub matters one bit to them but it makes me feel better.
    Skelify, Lithien and Bhikkhu like this.
  12. Bhikkhu New Member

Letting a small minority ruin it for the many. Such a wonderful business model ignoring the desires of those that pay your salaries. Seems shortsighted. So 15 more weeks of Velious content without the distraction of ST is going to have even a greater impact on player retention than what happened at the end of Kunark. Our guild personally saw people get bored with the game and move on and I'm sure other guilds experienced the same thing. Giving people something to do that keeps them engaged in your product seems like a no brainer.

Fear instance broken.
    ST 2.0 broken
    10th Ring War instance broken.

I canceled my sub as well and stated I would have a wait and see approach as to how this mess was handled. I see no reason to alter that decision. Why should I continue to give money to a company that is not concerned about their customers? Unless you happen to be a greiver than you can do and say whatever you like with impunity.

Peace,
    Skelify and Sophism like this.
  13. Aenoan Augur

Well if we want to really nip pick about services owed or not owed. They do say right on the box and in more technically in the End User Agreement that "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" - source ESRB rating.
    This falls under such a catagory. In the EULA it probably goes in to more detail.
  14. Aenoan Augur

If you don't think they don't care about their costumers, you've been playing a very different game then I do.
    While the experiences vary, the fact we have instances or any TLP server at ALL.

I mean come on now.

I don't agree with what happened but we also know these aren't real instances anyway. They are just picks that other players can't reach "temple of veeshan_4567" ect. It was never a fool proof solution.
    But honestly my stance is we should never have gotten a 1.0 ST anyway, they knew better after, Sleeper/Combine, Mayong, Vox(?), Fippy/Vulak, Ragefire/Lockjaw/Phinigel.
  15. Critt Augur

Where in my post do you see me saying any service was owed... I clearly said they aren't providing a service I want not that I was owed.
  16. Srslynotimpressed Journeyman

I believe many of the strong feelings voiced here, are those of the people who anticipated (though likely due to naivety), that when you advertised raid instances, this would be a cohesive and consistent process. It possibly should have been anticipated and considered more thoroughly by all, especially in the testing leading up to (though of course this was early, too...) Velious launch.

There is a major divergence in this case, which is a special circumstance; The sleeper was only able to be woken once, etc. before turning to ST 2.0. This is a major blow to the integrity of your concept of instanced-raid-progression. This is special circumstance where effectively one group of people can greatly suppress the entire server; a server that was intended to allow individuals (guilds) to progress at their pace through the content, without that very situation happening. Yet, it did. (By changing the VP key timers in Kunark, it shows that there was some notion that there was inner talks that it was not healthy for the server to have it be on such a long timer, where open world could be easily disrupted). Also to echo some previous posts, there are now multiple broken instances in Velious. Not only do we no longer have Sleeper 1.0 (due to a very small portion of the server, it is pretty evident this is not favorable for the majority who intended to experience content as they were able), PoFear's raid instance is still broken as well. The ring war, while not such a big deal, was also behooved of its ability to be instanced (by what I've seen, if you get as many reports from people about spam as they say, it can't be anything less than absolutely frustrating on the CSR side).This has effectively knocked out the ability to raid targets that one had previously been allured by; and rightly allured due to the instanced nature of the server.

That said, an objective statement as to the specifics would go much farther with the community than the given ambiguous statement provided. This makes it seem as if DBG does not in fact care about what the majority of the server wants or was anticipating at time of server launch.

Thank you, and hopefully this is considered constructive enough to not get the RadarX smash.
    Skelify and Bhikkhu like this.
  17. Aenoan Augur

That maybe so but it's for the many not for the few. You knew that and you knew that this was likely to happen. No ones gonna be that naive to think, as soon as a guilds like AOS, EOE, OGC that things like ST would be even remotely safe.

If it matters that much you can always return to Lockjaw or Ragefire and catch up you played there first and hope you get to do ST.
  18. Rovell Elder

RadarX,

Would you mind clarifying something as your post reads with a little ambiguity, specifically this part:

The team does understand that obviously this was content some folks would prefer to be instanced but there are no plans at this time to make changes at this time.

This could read as there are no plans to instance ST anymore, period. Would you mind confirming that ST 2.0 will be available via instancing on Phinigel? A timeline of when we'll be able to access it would be appreciated as well.

Thank you.
    Bhikkhu, GrugSA and Sophism like this.
  19. Critt Augur

I don't dispute any of this, and I don't dispute DBG's right to decide to run their game as they please. I merely was pointing out that as I am no longer getting what I want from their service I decided to cancel. I don't see any point in paying for something that I am not satisfied with.

btw i never played on LJ or RF I reactivated my account after 10 years in Dec to play on Phinny
  20. Tomlyn Drayke Journeyman

So I went back and read the rules-Q/A's, and will amend my comments. DBG didn't sell the server on the idea that raid instances would allow casuals to experience content. They just sold that raids would be instanced, and they are. Y'all sold the content idea to yourselves on the discussion thread.

Now, based on Roshen's replies to that thread, DBG was very aware of the discussions taking place and did not dissuade anybody on their delusions of a casual friendly server where basement dwellers/special snowflakes could not CB content from everybody else. They very happily let y'all delude yourselves into believing your own hype.

As a professional salesperson, I personally find it ethically deplorable to knowingly allow my customer to talk themselves into purchasing a product based on their misconceptions about its capabilities. When I see a customer doing it, I stop them and educate them. I don't just provide short/ambiguous answers to pointed questions. I make sure my customer knows what they're getting. This helps foster a healthy, long-term, relationship.

Now, DBG and I obviously do not share the same beliefs on ethical salesmanship. BUT...as you Phinny folks are so apt to tell us mongrel RF/LJ folks, this IS definitely a bed you made for yourselves. You talked yourself into believing instanced raids would mean content would be available to you despite what happened in the open world. DBG saw you doing it, and did nothing, but it's a bed of your making, nonetheless. You have two choices, keep rewarding a company that knowingly allows you to be misinformed about the benefits/features of it's product, or take your business elsewhere.

Based on their reactions to date, you can infer that they don't believe enough of you will take your business elsewhere. They may be right.

Critt - I thank you, though! From here on out, I will refer to people who somehow think they're special because of their rare loot or mention skill & EQ in the same sentence as Snowflakes.
    Aenoan likes this.