Spell Book Clean-up

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kalipto, May 30, 2016.

1. Kalipto Augur

Dearest Daybreak,

Could you run a little algorithm over the spells that says "if the spell is now purchasable from a vendor, allow it to be deleted from the spell book"?

Beyond that, does anyone have any tools or suggestions for cleaning up the spell book? I'm a little OCD and would love to have an organized book. Grouping spells together based on their type. My character, who eventually paid for the "heroic character thingy" has such a messy book. I'm sloooooowly cleaning it up. But it's going to take hours.

oh oh oh, I know Daybreak, how about right click menu on spell book and I can just choose to Hide certain spells from my book?

(Lastly, yes I know I can right click spell gems to see them organized by type. But it's just not the same as the spell book. idk, maybe I should give up and just use gems).
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Of all your suggestions, this one seems to be the easiest to implement and the most compatible with the most players. Not that anything is easy. Too many times a "10 minute" job takes 5 hours.

Or it might be easier to have a separate "storage area" where you place spells that you don't use anymore, but are still able to get them if you decide you want them again for some reason. I'm thinking like a second spellbook that is just a tab away from the regular one.

Even better would be the ability to add many tabs. So the player could create, for example, for druids and wizards, a teleport tab that just has your teleport spells. Then you could make a tab for your buffs, one for your DD spells, one for you DoTs, one for your debuffs, etc.

Unfortunately, while this would be nice, I'm afraid that Daybreak has too few Devs to spend time on this when there are urgent needs that must take priority.
  3. Tanols Augur

The mechanic is there sort of ... higher ranks of a spell automatically overwrite the lower rank. IDK how difficult it would be but could add an option where a higher level spell of the same line overwrites the lower level version. The only lower level spells people may want to retain are buff lines.

Do this for Disciplines as well please. :)
  4. Rhodz Augur

I think the drop down menu is all we will ever see, a tool would be nice but far easier to address the OCD than get this changed.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No thanks, I like to use my old spells when I do older content when you can only kill mobs to a certain %age before using a clicky on them.

Had problems recently trying to balance down older content due to new spells being too powerful.

I am a completest and must have ALL spells!
    Aanuvane, Nolrog, Egat and 2 others like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Agree with Yinla. I must own every spell lol. And there are uses for low level spells. Each level has its own page. Level 10 is on page 10. If anything put more pages in the book as requested by others back in 2012. There are many times I need to flip to a page to see if that will work on the lower char who is asking for some buffs. I do save spell sets on the bubbles and right click on blank ones (mostly to check the color to see if its me only or group or others) to load up a certain spell but there are so many that its sometimes necessary to check what else I have for that level and its nice having the ability to go to a page in the book. My book is not messy but then again my house sure is (unless its patch day).
    Yinla and Gundolin like this.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

^ this guy gets it.
  8. Kalipto Augur

Hah yeah, no I wouldn't suggest overwriting old spells. Just an ability to hide them. Or heck, just an option to move them to page 100 or something.
  9. Weverley Augur

Yeah imagine cleric with only highest buff and too bad if somebody can't receive if level required is too high.
  10. Gundolin Augur

Overwriting old spells would be bad. Even if there is no chance I would ever use the spell again for any reason it just makes me happy knowing I have every single spell.
  11. Iila Augur

My level 49 skin buff lands on a level 1, so I deleted all my skin buffs between skin like wood and skin like nature. Then I purged a bunch of my self buffs from the same level range, cause why the hell would I want to cast my level 30 thorncoat?

EQ's stupid scaling buff restrictions mean I can't delete the buffs above that, but shorter lists when mem'ing certain spell lines is nice.

Spellbook pruning actually came into play in one of the last betas, when druids had more spells available than spots in the spellbook.
    RPoo likes this.
  12. Kravitz Augur

They really should get rid of the complex naming scheme, since apparently they keep saying "we don't have enough resources" - bs, more like they squander it on other projects.

It would save them a bunch of time each expansion on naming spells, and do what most modern mmo's do, Skin like Wood 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and cast the appropriate one based on your targets level range.
    snailish, Pelrond and Iila like this.
  13. Ravengloome Augur

But i like my Burst of Sunrise, Sunlight, and Dawnlight !

I think secretly Aristo likes coming up with the names, thats probably it.

Pretty sure the Thesaurus he uses is getting a bit tired.
  14. Redrum_Redrum Augur

I would like to see 2 option buttions in the book that will auto re-arrange the order they are in in your book.
    Sort By - Spell Type
    Sort By - Spell Level
    That way you can sort spells by level and see what you may be missing or sort by type.
    Gundolin likes this.
  15. SomeEQGuy Elder

Not sure I'd like that. I like to keep my most used spells on the earlier pages and wouldn't want to inadvertently massively rearrange my spellbook with no way to restore it back to the previous order.

One thing that might be useful is to use that menu that pops up for loading spell gems to be used to swap spell locations in the book. Right click on a spot in the book and the menu pops up and allows you to select the spell for that spot in the book.

ETA: Also update buff descriptions in that menu to list the max level character it will land on.
  16. Tobin Augur

I don't know about all of you but when I'm having an OCD attack - I find it peaceful to move the spells around in the book. It feeds the OCD and makes me calmer for some reason.

Living with mental health issues for many year - Tobinz
    CatsPaws likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'm a bit on the OCD side myself, but really, since they came out with the right-click on the gems, I haven't used the book since. It saves SO much time, that my laziness overrides my OCD :)

For those mentioning about sorting so that they can see what they are missing, there is an in-game command that can help, without needing to sort anything:

/outputfile spells

This will write the spells you have to a file. You can then compare it to a list of spells, like on ZAM.

Tat
    Tobin, Fanra and Iila like this.
  18. Tobin Augur

Magelo is good too for finding out which spells you are missing
    Xikteny likes this.
  19. Nolrog Augur

I used to be really retentive and had my spells all organized by category. It was not an efficient use of the spell book, but it looked nice. Wound up being too much to keep up with (especially as new spells were added to lower levels and I had to rearrange everything). Plus they made it easier to find things now, so I don't bother anymore.

I do not like the idea of having new spells overwrite old ones though. I often use the older spells as well, especially if I am farming something grey to me, because they are more efficient and let me go a longer time.

Also, like Yinla and Sheex, I want to have a complete spellbook.
    Tobin likes this.
  20. Tobin Augur

I agree with this - I have run out of mana many times using high power spells on trash mobs due to the level of the spell I'm using.