returning to eq, quick question....

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mighty midget, May 4, 2016.

1. Mighty midget New Member

Are there any servers that don't have any revamped zones? Just all original graphics?

Its been a while since I played eq, and I just recently started looking into progression servers to see what they're really about. I've been nostalgic for a long time, even in the latter years of playing, for the old days.... even my cousins who got me hooked on eq say the same thing. Maybe we can get the gang back together on a progression server. I know many probably don't, but i reeeeaaally miss the old freeport.

I tried looking it up, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before... and for the tangent I went on lol...
  2. Machen New Member

3. Nolrog Augur

No. They all use the revamped graphics.
  4. Mighty midget New Member

Anyone know if the devs might make a server without revamped graphics in the future? Or is that out of the question?
  5. Thrash New Member

6. Mighty midget New Member

Ok... just looked up project 99... I guess if I dont like the feel of the progression servers I'll give it a try, thanks!
  7. code-zero Augur

Well, have fun with that o_O
  8. sifonin Augur

Welcome back man!

Okay brief outline of current tlps--

Lockjaw- very very low population. This server took the biggest hit from phinny coming out.

Ragefire- lower population than phinny by far.. However has more players than your average live server. Top heavy, but many cool boxers that will lend hand(s).

Phinny- true box, one toon per computer, instanced raiding.

Unfortunately like others have stated, you won't find a server on live eq that uses old Freeport (to many people's dismay). With that said from what I have gathered talking to those who played on p99 as well as reading some of their forums and reddit, it's a grind that is hard to catch up on (no boxing etc), and the end game environment is toxic. Besides that pretty good server >.<
  9. Adonhiram Augur

As the other posters said, p99. But : no maps, no parcel NPC, no timers on buffs, naked corpse runs (no spawning with equipment and 20% mana on death), no pets stopping in front of a mezzed mob, no 12 buttons hotkey pages, officially no boxes (only one account per IP is the rule) etc. etc.

And some semi-official statements there are no plans to implement Luclin, so no AAs in sight, they don't need "aliens on the moon".

My best RL friend is on p99, when I tell him what I can do on Lockjaw he thinks I am a spoiled brat and "that is no way classic/Kunark EQ". And he suffers a lot, but that's the way it's meant to be, he says. Miserere nostri ad p99, Domine...
  10. Galdous Augur

I would not call it suffering. The best part of P1999 was having friends to help you overcome obstacles people considered suffering. What compelled me to move to Phinigel was the spirit that P1999 wanted to recreate with a nostalgic old school experience combined with being able to enjoy more content then just the first two expansions. I see lots of people migrating from P1999 that never even looked at Lockjaw and Ragefire because box/bots sorta put the game off to alot of people. Phinigel is a middleman between modern EQ and old school EQ so for the first time in 10+ years several of my friends have played EQ live again.
  11. Adonhiram Augur

Now that's interesting, so for you the big cultural gap is not p99 vs TLP but no box or true box vs box environment ? So all the commodities we get on TLPs are not, in the end, that different from what you have experienced on p99, even in regard to things like naked corpse runs, as long one person plays one character at a time as the majority of players do on Phinny ?
  12. CaptainSkeet Augur

Personally, it's the player interactions of old that I want to find again. I know that's going to be hard in a game as old as this, with a much smaller player base. But in a way boxing and mercs on the new servers do detract from the classic eq experience.

Not saying naked corpse runs, tiny xp gains, and all the somewhat tedious factors of original eq were my selling point, but player interaction made it all worthwhile. I understand current era eq is a completely different game, content wise, so these changes make some sense. But as far as P99 players go, I think the biggest off-putting thing was lack of player interaction, as well as the risk and reward gap. Phinny seems to strike a good balance, as far as I am concerned.
  13. Adonhiram Augur

Thanks, I see your point.