Likes vs Message Ratio

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ruven_BB, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Reval Augur

No response. Diagnosis: Silv is immune to likes. Maybe Silv played a game engineered to solve the likes addiction like Legend of Zelda: a Like to the Past.
    Silv and Sheex like this.
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Liking this because <3 a Link to the Past. Well referenced, sir.
  3. Battleaxe Augur

I'm not a "like" farmer. Nor do I post to build up a post count. Like to Post Count ratio is irrelevant afaic. Heck I'd be scared if the general posting population "liked" everything I posted. I've seen what some of you believe - absolutely crazy stuff.

I post to cause SOE/DBG to reconsider something they've done - allow players to buy raid quality items from Old Man McKensie after doing only 2 raids while shrouded.
    Or not done - put healing and buff potion vendors in PoK.
    Or done badly.

In every case someone's ox is gored. And in every case where what emerges aligns with what I think (expressed or not) - is right, fair, or a well integrated feature consistent with the game - I see the game as improved. That's the only forum "score" I'm interested in - a game that's worth playing and that hasn't wandered too far from it's basic principles. Not so crazy IMO.
  4. Silv Augur

Or... maybe I was busy at work or racing to down a 5 L box of wine with Sindy, my Enchanter partner in cynicism, and didn't have time for once to respond to a forum post.

However, for your wild speculation and creativity I shall "Like" your post. On a serious note (which does not involve Likes) It is good to know and I appreciate the sentiment that you respect my opinion on occasion even though we usually disagree on almost everything. And I was not being mean there :)

As for the whole "likes" topic:
    1. Most people find it meaningless
    2. Some people interpret them as a sense of agreement or appreciation
    3. Some people truly do think it makes them a special snowflake and getting a like gives them a lil sunshine in their day. Whether or not you think that makes them a sad person - well, that's pretty judgmental.
    4. Some people utilize it as a troll-o-meter. Accuracy on this is debatable unless you believe Sheex and apparently based on my like # it is working correctly.

Point: It means nothing to some and something to a few. I think it's naive though to say that they are completely pointless.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I generally use likes for agreement or when someone posts a useful answer in the Players Support or Newbie Forums. I know haters gotta hate but I like the idea of a positive support system like "likes" :)

Just my opinion though.
  6. Koryu Professional Roadkill

"Like" has been very flexible in its usage for me.

1) If somebody is providing useful information and it is accurate, I'll like it, regardless of whether it was for me.
    2) If somebody says something that I strongly agree with or appreciate, I'll like it.
    3) If somebody specifically responded to me on something, and it doesn't warrant a response of my own, I'll like it to let them know I saw it (and probably appreciated it, see #2.)
    4) If you made me lol, I'll like it.

I interpret anybody liking my things the same as above. If nobody likes stuff I have to say, then so be it, identical opinions are boring anyway. You can treat my likes as gold stars or disregard them as useless, I'm still going to hand them out when I think it appropriate.
    Faana, Fanra, Iila and 1 other person like this.