Likes vs Message Ratio

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ruven_BB, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Ruven_BB Augur

I just noticed that I have close to as many likes as messages, approx. 91%. Of course a post can get multiple likes, so its not that 91 percent of my posts are liked by someone.

But it got me thinking. Is this a good or bad thing? Posters with high likes, are they just singing to the choir adding what everyone wants to hear, or are they adding constructive feedback that resonates with others?

Does this add any credibility to the author, the more posts in total with they highest like/message number ratio. Or is it completely meaningless?

I thought I would just throw this out for fun.

Ruven
    Nennius, Elricvonclief, RPoo and 2 others like this.
  2. Siddar Augur

Likes are the new version of the little gold stars teachers used to give you in elementary school.

Minor ego boosts that serve no real purpose in adult life.
    Loratex, Nennius, Kravitz and 4 others like this.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Beats me, I don't use the like feature. I guess since I have never done the social media thing I don't have it ingrained into me to display gratuitous agreement with/appreciation of something with no explanation.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. Gundolin Augur

I generally use "Like" if someone answers my question. I figure its nice to acknowledge that they took the time to read and respond which is kind, but it doesn't add a bunch of spam to the message board of "Thanks".
    Nennius and Faana like this.
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

It's pretty meaningless except in one glaring case, imo.

I'd be willing to bet our good pal Battleblade is the king of poor like to post ratio, and that's absolutely telling. It'd also be interesting to see relative to length of posts as well. In that arena, there's one guy in the TLP forums who likely trumps BB's ability to textwall with his various "hay guys read my ruleset ideas" posts.

Plus there are people clearly trolling solely for Likes like addicts - I'm looking at you, Silv! =P
  6. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

But Sheex! Silv is hilarious and informative! :D :p
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

He tries to be, but his lack of use of memes and/or the Simpsons references makes him fail. Faaaaaaail!

Plus a bunch of people get blanket likes for nerf complaints about....well, just about anything when the game changes.
  8. Silv Augur

Lies!

No LIKES for you for a week now!

My Like-to-Post ratio is actually higher by a small margin. It makes me feel like a special snowflake. When people don't like my posts I go cry and take tequila shots.

Now,

[IMG]
    Iila, Nennius, Elricvonclief and 6 others like this.
  9. Silentchaos Augur

10. Silv Augur

I don't like numbers that end in 4 so I gave you a like. Now you're at 235.
    Iila, Nennius, Elricvonclief and 2 others like this.
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Higher than whose?

On the SK forums the rep system is really quite superior. Seeing a bunch of Red x's in warning near a BB type poster's name is a quality board function and public service.
    Nennius likes this.
  12. Silv Augur

I was talking about my personal ratio, not comparing it to someone. 3683 likes vs 3526 posts.

Edit: I think Illa might have the best post to like ratio on these forums. 3000 something to 5000 something likes.
    Iila, Nennius, Elricvonclief and 2 others like this.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Ah, well done. You're good at complainin' about nerfs for sure sir!
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Silv Augur

Yes, let's completely discount all my other meaningful and helpful posts :rolleyes:

Simpsons meme please.
    Nennius, Faana and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  15. FixShamanPlease Elder

Giving you a like so you can reach your goal.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I live to serve:
    [IMG]
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Hayzeus Augur

Likes are meaningless without the ability to also "dislike" a message. When your only option is to either like a message or remain mute about it, the feedback is slanted towards positivity only. Notwithstanding a poster's obvious ability to show their dislike by posting a reply indicating their dislike, you don't get the trends over time for a poster.

In other words, I can post my "dislike" stance for someone's general post, but we as a collective of posters still won't understand that the poster's posts are generally disliked more than they are liked.

A "dislike" button would go a long ways to outing the trolls among us. If a poster has 500 posts with an aggregate of 24 likes and 489 dislikes... what you have there is a potential troll. If a poster has 500 posts and 450 likes with 24 dislikes... you probably have a butt kisser. If a poster has 500 posts with 400 likes and 400 dislikes... I'm inclined to think that poster is just "telling it like it is," and some people just "can't handle the truth." There may be a hundred other variations and ways to interpret the like vs dislike ratios, but ... meh... whatever.

Anyways, they probably haven't put a dislike button in because they're keenly aware that their nerfpatch notes would be disliked more than they are liked, and the thought police would never allow that.

Hayzeus

PS: Let this post serve as my notice of being a "Retired Necro of Xegony." They officially beat me to death. I'm now refusing to play or pay for their game. Instead, I'm playing another company's game. Two accounts are already cancelled, and this one is simply winding down the long term subscription time before it turns into a pumpkin. I wasn't really going to post a good-bye, but this thread was cool enough that I wanted to comment, so I figured I'd say good-bye in it as well to kill a couple of birds.

So yah, see ya! No, you can't have my stuff.

Hayzeus
    Nennius and Faana like this.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

When I agree with a post, rather than increasing the number of posts to just say, "I agree", I use the Like button.

I suppose if everyone decides that "Like" is bad, I can increase my post count with hundreds of, "I agree with this post", posts. But it seems to me better to use the Like button.

My hopes are that by using Like, I'm telling people, especially the Devs, that the post is a good one worth consideration (in my opinion). This seems the best and least annoying way to do so.
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It doesn't mean anything. I have lots of likes and lots of people hate me.
    RPoo, Nennius, Faana and 1 other person like this.
  20. Reval Augur

I have a secret shadow account that I've never used. Because sometimes I like you guys, but I don't like like you guys.
    Nennius likes this.