Pretty good raiding success for Classic Phinny

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by PathToEternity, Mar 1, 2016.

1. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

http://www.phinnykills.com/

Just taking a glance at the Phinny Kills site, it looks like at least 12 different guilds have completed all content in-era. Assuming there aren't any guilds missing from the list, that's still pretty good and better than any previous progression server.

[IMG]

Figuring that most guilds are going to need an average of at least 50 players to take down bees, that's 600 players who have completed all content in era, at a minimum, which personally I think is fantastic. Even if some of those are true-boxes, it's still just a minimum number, and there are plenty of people raiding on a more casual schedule too.

I think we've got a really healthy server here. I know VP will be a challenge in Kunark, but I hope we see similar or even greater success in Kunark.
    Fhiele, Radien, Dandy and 4 others like this.
  2. Vaclav Augur

Wonder where the "Raid instancing is bad" and "Phinny will crash and burn" naysayers are these days? They've seemed mighty quiet....

Vindication feels good.
    Venthos, Risiko and Friday like this.
  3. DandinTribute New Member

Daybreak really nailed it. Instances are not enough to get max loot...so open world remains competitive...but nobody is locked out of experiencing the game at whatever pace they want. On top of that people can challenge themselves to do content with smaller forces to get even more extra loot.

Seriously huge success here. Heck, even a model for future MMOs.
  4. Miss Shortcake Elder

Competitive? I think like, two guilds tops even really care or bother to try killing anything in the open world on any sort of regular basis.
  5. Darth Augur

I know Lockjaw had 11 guilds on the enforced rotation.

The instancing is just a better solution to enforced rotations.

I'm glad everyone on Phinny is happy.
    Bewts and Friday like this.
  6. Vaclav Augur

Which just goes to show how may people want to "experience the content" versus "compete". Probably about 1000 (or more!) in the first camp versus a few hundred in the second.

Benefit is clearly there for those that want to compete - but for the rest, we can stay out of the way and chill.
    Wyxx, Aneia and Finley like this.
  7. FluttyMan Elder

PathtoEternity this is really a surprise to you?

Don't you realize that most Phinny players got to raid classic on RF and LJ whereas on RF most people havn't raided classic in years.

What you thaught il was involved with skill or something?
  8. Vaclav Augur

Look at my first response to him - that's what he basically meant.

He and I were both big voices (but not hardly the only ones - Dandy and Frenzic were some of the other big ones - and many smaller ones) pushing for them to do something like that, and we're relishing in the success of it. We both expected something like this to do very, very well.

He just tried to present it without gloating to stay classy is all.

The only worry left is attrition - but we'll see how that holds in 84 days!
    PathToEternity likes this.
  9. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Honestly, I think a lot of them are playing on Phinny and having a great time like the rest of us.

To be fair I am somewhat surprised - I did think a setup like this would be successful, but not necessarily on this level.

As far as FluttyMan's comment about skill - I don't really know or care about that. I grew up playing SNES and text-based RPG's, so when I sit down to play an RPG I am really not thinking too much about skill. If I want to play a skill based game I have League of Legends or any number of FPS games to play. RPG's in my mind are much more about numbers and strategy than "skill." So when I go into a raid my questions are, do we have the numbers to do this raid? Do we have a strategy that is viable? And that's good enough for me. Apparently it's good enough for another 600+ people too.
    Rhiyannon, Risiko and Shadowslain like this.
  10. Mashef Augur

This worry is real and alive. The server, without a doubt, has lost many due to exp problems. Once Kunark is almost over I hope it gets reset back to RF/LJ levels for long term sustained success. Kunark is almost as boring as Classic, need something to bring people back in for when the game starts in Velious.
  11. JethroGibbs Journeyman

Phinny was never going to crash and burn due to raid instancing. It's still probably going to burn due to true box and how the game becomes more and more hostile to those stuck playing one account. It's going to be healthy until PoP but probably not too far past that.
  12. Machen New Member

Agree we have a healthy server here. It's still only marginally better than Fippy though, if at all. Who knows how many Fippy guilds would have killed everything in classic if everything were instanced, but by the time there WAS instanced content in PoP, Fippy was not too far off from these #'s guild-wise. And that was after the hacking fiasco and a year of attrition.
  13. ravenshade32 New Member

Meh its all been done before by us original players back in 99 so nothing impressive here. Anyone can copycat past raids.
  14. Risiko Augur

I have every intention to stay on Phinny up through at least House of Thule. After that there are no good for expansions.
  15. Dandy Augur

[IMG]

Well done boys.
  16. DaedorAlive Elder

After Kunark there is no level cap increase until PoP. The pace at which players achieve max level is exponentially faster than it used to be (it's strange...like living in a population where everyone is a senior citizen). No need to tweak exp for people leveling alts when the majority of players will already be at the level cap.
  17. Denno Elder

I am pretty impressed. Even the euros nailed it. Well done and good job. I am sure Kunark is going to be a blast for yall
  18. zekreject Journeyman

I only joined server for the instanced raids. Ok, i have only reached lvl 12, so far :( But so far so good!
    Batbener likes this.
  19. voresteiner Journeyman

vore's cameo in this thread is like leo winning the oscars.

best of luck to all my comrades alike in kunark! we made it thru classic :eek:
    Radien likes this.
  20. Batbener Augur

I am not sure what all the high fiving and chest bumping is about. I think anyone that has ever played a TLP for any length of time knew that the vast majority of players are capable of completing raid targets in era, if they can schedule their raids. The ONLY shocking thing to me is how many "quick to quits" didn't quit when instanced raiding wasn't perfect at launch. The oiling up and massaging of egos is a little premature, however, because of the Pandora's box that this server opened. DBGs just learned that when a server starts to decline, even if it's 100% viable, they can open another with a different ruleset and re up the subs. This server still didn't correct the biggest problem any TLP faces, and that's how to get new people to keep joining.

So here is my prediction. In 6 months, when Phinny passes RF and LJ, the server will be in a slow, and steady decline. It wont be that noticeable at that point. There will be a bunch of people that don't play anymore that will say, hey let us bring our 60s over, and we will play. We want to enjoy instanced raiding. The vast majority of Phinny will say, "NO GRIND IT OUT LIKE WE DID." Even though these people have "grinded it out" 3 to 5 times already. So they wont, especially at a disadvantage of 9 months of play time. DBGs will see the renewed interest of all these people, open another server, with a slightly different ruleset. My guess is it will be a two or three box limited server. Then, as Phinny slips into a population tailspin, they'll be begging for boxes to keep their server alive. All the people on the new server will say, "REROLL AND GRIND IT OUT LIKE WE DID". And neither group will see the irony.
    Rhiyannon likes this.