New player to EQ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Yojiro, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Yojiro New Member

good day all,

I have just got the craving to experience something old school. Something that hasn't fell victim to the modern touch of holding the players hand. Something that is about exploring the world and finding the dungeons, and not just being teleported to them.

Anyways I have just created a new barbarian warrior on Phinigel server. Currently located in Halas at level 2. Would like to find a guild or a few players that would like to get together and Xp, Quest and Explore. If there is a guild with all new players that would be great or a guild that is more than happy to have a new player that would be cool too.

Anyways reply to this post if ya interested in inviting me to a guild and or grouping to level up. Or add me in the game my character name is Moonreaver.

Thanks
    Rhiyannon and Santeer like this.
  2. Santeer New Member

Well met Moonreaver and welcome to Everquest!

I belong to a great lowb/newb leveling guild. Old School Brew Masters. We typically have a dozen or so members on at any given time, more during peak evening hours. We have a level cap on toon invites currently, to help promote guild grouping. We continue to raise that cap when we as a whole begin to reach it. We have every level from 1 to 30ish, with plenty in most leveling sections.

Next time you are on, look us up by typing /who all Old School

Shoot any of a tell and we will be happy to talk to you and get you in the guild if interested.

Santeer - 26 Shaman
    Kalgore - 19 Cleric
  3. Captiin New Member

Just a small heads up, as a brand new player to EQ you might have a tough go of it as a warrior. They are the most gear dependent class in the game at the moment and are not able to do much other than auto attack and taunt. Guild normally only need a very limited number of them endgame.

Here my opinion on the overall rundown of the classes currently:

Warrior - Very gear dependent, very boring

Rogue - Almost same as warrior but higher dmg and lower tank ability, very boring. They become crazy DPS in Kunark once you get your epic.

Necro - Lots of utility, high dmg, can solo and group, somewhat high need in lots of guilds. Low dependence on gear besides focus effects for your dots.

Wizard - High dmg, soloable, low gear dependence, ports.

Ranger - Utility, can tank early, not much dps, has tracking which makes it good for camping certain items.

Enchanted - High group need, Low raiding need as they are a dime a doze, amazing at soloing, very fun class, high skill class need for mezzing/charming.

Mage - Great dps, not the best soloing since the pet nerf but still an option. Great for camping older lower level item drops.

Druid - Great Utility, ports, heals, soloable, and tracking.

Cleric - Best healer, limited ability to solo. Only class that can give >50% exp rez.

Shadowknight - Caster version of Warrior, lifetaps, has skelly pet, Feign Death, fun to play, can solo some.

Paladin - The "Good" version of a shadowknight, can heal others, and a solid tank.

Bard - Plays songs that are constant buffs, only class that can cast (sing) while moving. Very very fast run speed. Can mez/charm and such, high need in raiding guilds for resist songs.

Shaman - Healer with dots, great soloer (root + dots + pet), lots of buffing power and slows mobs attack speed.

Monk - Medium-high dps, can Feign Death so great for pulling. no spells.
    Santeer likes this.
  4. Santeer New Member

And to add just a little to the great post above from Captiin, the first 10 or so levels on all classes are miserable and do not truly speak to the way the class will play as you begin to come into your own around the low 20's...try a few of them, and talk to some of your fellow players in game that are playing the class currently....lots of players who don't play a class will tell you they rock/suck from their "Observation" of how some one plays that class.

In the end don't be afraid to try them all out, and find what fits your play time and style!
  5. TarewMarrForever Augur

I'll look you up Moonreaver. If you decide to stick it out as a warrior, I've got some armor and weaps that will make your go if it much easier. I won't twink you too much...promise. ;-)

What was said about end-game is true though, but I wouldn't that discourage you with your pick. You'll probably want to try several toons before settling on a class. I think Warrior is a great first choice since it is so basic / simple in Classic. That way you can focus on the game mechanics w/o the class mechanics getting in the way. But you may outgrow it quickly...

Once you think you have him down (which won't take long), I recommend you try an INT caster (Mag, Wiz, Nec, possibly even Enc) or Priest (Clr, Shm, dru). I'd avoid hybrids until you've played a pure melee, pure int caster, pure priest until at least level 6. The first 6 levels really do go pretty fast, even on Phinny, regardless of what you'll read here. ;-)

Oh, Bard's and Enchanters are TONS of fun...but not really a great choice as your first toon or toons. Plus, there are GOBS of the later on Phinny...

Welcome, and good hunting!
  6. Syrup Augur

Welcome to everquest!
    Make sure to check your quest log often ( /Q ) as it is a great source for quest exp and newbie items when you're just starting out.
  7. Kibanu Augur

Don't do this. /q is short for /quit. It will quit your client. Just like people will say /ex will show you how much experience you need to level, when it will actually exit the game.
  8. Turinbar Augur

I'm wonder if you are really "new" as you describe. To even play on phinny you need an active subscription What other SOE game to you play, or did you really just decide to subscribe in order to play on Phinny.
  9. Yojiro New Member

thank you all for the feedback. maybe I'll try something else then. yeah I just sub so I can play the game from the beginning that is why I subbed.

thanks all
    Rhiyannon likes this.