Are we any closer to discussing server mergers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MariusoftheDead, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Zublak Augur

As a current TLP player, I wouldn't mind seeing RF and LJ merge. Currently LJ has 1 guild actively raiding Kunark in US primetime and 1 guild raiding in EU primetime. There is 1 other guild in US primetime that raids, but it's never very often you see a yellow kill text come from them. Rumor has it they're slacking off until Velious, but who knows.

I think a merger between LJ and RF would be beneficial though.

As for Fippy and Vulak, I don't know much about them. I hear Vulak is 100% dead and been stuck on the same expac for awhile, while Fippy is about to open a new one. If Vulak is 100% dead than they may as well merge it with Fippy. How can you make anyone there made whenever no one even plays there?

As for Live servers, judging by the server population tool on the Home page of the site, I see a handful of Live servers that seem to always have low population.

So +1 for some mergers to happen, at least for the RF and LJ server.
  2. lancelove Augur

create a couple new servers and allow free xfers from the low population ones and for a limited time allow people from all servers to xfer there (like a week). No guild tags allowed to go. The reform there would be awesome! #mordenrasp #stormhammer
  3. lancelove Augur

oh yeah, and all others left on those low level servers get random boots to the next lowly server pops!
  4. Faana Augur

It's starting to smell as if they're using specialty servers as a way to backpedal on the F2P concept. If I pay for more accounts, will you stop nerfing everything? How about open up a server that's like it was in 2013?
    Styles and Caell like this.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Except for the fact that the TLP servers required a subscription even when they changed EQ to their style of F2P. So they are not backpedalling at all.
  6. falendar Lorekeeper

Funny thing is with pick zones and mega servers ( ragefire, lockjaw, and phinny have the ability to hold far more than any of the other servers) they would make probably 2-3 mega servers with all the current servers.
    Faana likes this.
  7. Mediik Augur

Isn't character transferring an automatic system? If the low population servers are going to be left to wither. I'd suggest making server transfers to and from those servers free. Let the population sort it out.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Styles Journeyman

TLP population will die out after Gates of Discord goes live on them, then they'll reintroduce a new TLP server a few months later for another quick cash grab, till the cycle continues again and again!
  9. Rhodz Augur

Pretty sure that cycle is now down to SoV exp, pretty soon things wont even get out of Classic before the pop crashes. SSDD

The problem with merges, assuming the expertise still exists, is the number of char slots. There are a crap load of folks that keep a full list of chars on many servers all far above the old level 10 cut off. In particular on some of the older TLPs. Phin may work out differently just due what a boring pita it is to level alts.
    What can be done? No merges and thats what is seen.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Faana like this.
  10. Faana Augur

Beta accounts have 20 slots. Right now, the most we can have is 15 on Live.

Proposals to let people choose their own server is that there's no assurance your friends will end up on the same one. That's why mergers are much better.
  11. snailish Augur

This is probably a key roadblock at the moment, as it is tied into character slot $.

Maybe an experiment... launch a Phinny style Live rules mega server that has 20 character slots as default, and make it that the first 2 weeks you can only free transfer there and not create new characters. This ensures people that move have a decent shot of keeping their names.

A variation would be turning an existing live server into a super-server. Example "Cazic Thule is now a super server. It has the instancing and load capabilities of Phinigel, and 20 character slots as your default. You can purchase up to 30 character slots. Free transfers to Cazic are open for two weeks"*

*Maybe the free transfers only come from 2-4 lower pop destinations (think server groups). If it works, do the Cazic example 3-4 more times so you have 5ish super live servers... then take all the desolated remaining old, small live servers and merge them into one new super server.

Any merit to this thinking? Not sure I like it or not, but ideas are important.
    Faana likes this.
  12. Faana Augur

It would be awesome as long as everyone on our server went with us. By my reckoning there are only 2 servers of adequate size.
  13. Kravitz Augur

So your solution to low population is to spread the population out even more across even more new servers. This is such a bad idea.

Not to mention Daybreak would never go for this as there is no financial gain by opening up new servers, more like a financial loss.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  14. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Merge Test into one of the low population live servers. Bug reports and feedback from one week of testing gets ignored and the problems pushed live anyway, so I don't see the point of keeping it separate.
  15. Xinj Journeyman

Merge into a super server.
    Aaikan and Faana like this.
  16. Reval Augur

But if there's a super server they won't get any money from server transfers. Don't worry though, if they make enough money from people that want a super server, they will totally make a super server...
  17. jiri_ Augur

I mean, so far the biggest selling point of Phinny, anecdotally, has been that it actually has the population to support 6-player-0-box groups.
    Faana likes this.
  18. Faana Augur

Super server would bring people back.
  19. Reval Augur

You're not being short sighted enough.
    Faana likes this.
  20. Aaikan Journeyman

I really like this idea. Having a broad range of experienced players, all on the same server, all competing at differing levels for old spawns, new content, camps... sigh... It would be like the glory days of EQ all over again...

I wonder what the technical limitations are these days? It works for EVE, why not here?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.