Agro per spell cast

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Rothj Augur

So, I would like to know how much agro each spell generates in each situation. I am a SK. Is there anywhere I can find this information? I'm trying to find actual numbers behind it.
  2. GrugSA Augur

Spam clinging darkness
  3. mackal Augur

most spells (stun, snare, AC debuff) seem to follow mob's HP / 15, capped at 1200 for normal casts and 400 for casts from other sources (scaling hate does seem to stack too). Direct damage is the base damage (so as long as lucy calculates the number correctly, that). If it's DD + something that scales with mob HP you add them together (ex stun + DD).

There are some special cases and bonus hate for initial aggro, but that's about it.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  4. Rothj Augur

thanks mackal, that's close to what i'm looking for
  5. Xanorak Lorekeeper

Disease cloud generates a lot of agro as well (also lower mana cost then clinging darkness)

And btw you should use taunt 1 time at the beginning of the fight for snap agro. Then cast clinging darkness + disease cloud as needed but you should not use taunt again unless someone else takes agro (this is how I was taught, maybe someone else can confirm)
  6. Vaclav Augur

DC doesn't give any substantial aggro anymore - and hasn't for nearly a decade.

It's like saying Tash is good for aggro... once upon a time it was... but that was an eon ago.
  7. SomethingWitty Augur

I would love to know about how much agro a non-damage spell generates, say a root (e.g., paralyzing earth as a proc from the herbalist spade). I have checked on the Lucy raw spell data, but don't see where this info is listed.

On a side note, I was also told to spam Disease Cloud as an SK, but have been underwhelmed by the amount of agro it generates. I have found shadow vortex is much better, and is non dmg dealing so you can cast it on a mezed mobs and the like.
  8. taliefer Augur

disease cloud used to be insane agro "back in the day" but hasnt been in a looooong time. some people just havent played since then, or maybe just havent played an sk before and remember SKS spamming that in ye old days
  9. mackal Augur

Roots generate about 10 hate. The only reason people got confused is that they could root and if they were closest, they would get attacked. Most things are either 0, 10, or mob's HP / 15.
  10. taliefer Augur

where are you getting this "most things" are mobs hp/15 thing? i know stun is based off mobs hp, but you seem to imply snares and ac debuffs are as much agro as a stun, and thats not true.
  11. mackal Augur

Careful book keeping with aggrometer. And that's exactly what I'm implying.
  12. Vaclav Augur

When you take advice from someone make sure if they're familiar with Live or are quoting P99.

P99 - DC is still insane aggro that is amazing.
    Live - since about a year into TLP1.0 - DC is almost no aggro whatsoever.
  13. mackal Augur

DC stopped being awesome when they made increase debuff counters generate 0 hate. ("Spells with poison counters no longer have innate aggro added. The spells themselves still generate aggro based on their other properties, but you will see a reduction in the amount of aggro generated in many cases." -- patch notes for April 12, 2005)
  14. Rauven Augur

This explains why fully dotting a mob as a necro means you don't have to spend the duration of the dots FD'd like you once did.
  15. Poydras Augur

SK's can't do much spell spamming until they get higher lvl mana regen buffs.

But yes a snare is their best bet these days. Can be some annoying stacking issues with the lowest one though, which also sucks for actually snaring the mob.
  16. GrugSA Augur

CD only cost 20 mana w/o focus effects and i was half joking. You can cast it as much as you need will with just a 2mp/tick pot.
    Really you do something more like this
    Get on hate list or taunt mezzed mob.
    Cast CD> stat tap or DC for short fights
    CD> stat tap, dot or DC then CD again for medium fights
    CD >DOT >CD >DC/Stat tap >CD for long fights
    and finally CD>FEAR>CD>FEAR>CD>FEAR ect for boss fight weaving in other spells if you can.
    You can skip DC once your conjuration is maxed and you can weave in lifetaps, dispels or cure diseases as needed WMP.
    It changes slightly when against fear immune mobs(fear is a lot of hate even vs resist/immune) and when Spear and Touch lines come out.

It doesn't effect the hate generated if the mob already has a higher level snare, resisted is immune ect. So it's only annoying in so far as you're losing like 1 DPS.

Snare isn't a mob/HP 15 thing. If this were true you would see a noticeable difference in the amount of hate a CD generates against a rock golem in the hole vs an elemental in the hole. Which you don't

TL;DR version is spam Clinging Darkness
  17. Poydras Augur

Sure as long as "as much as you need" doesn't amount to more than one cast or so per minute. Because 3 mana per tick gives you a total of 30 mana per minute to survive on. You have totally crushed my "can't do much spell spamming" claim there, given the assumption that we all have potions coming out our orifices.
  18. GrugSA Augur

You get mana by medding between pulls and this really is enough CD pre clarity/mana song levels. The fights are so short and other classes mitigate fine at those levels you shouldn't stress to much about having agro, frankly there isn't anything you could do period to hold agro of monks and pets at those level anyway. So you should just save your mana for the one random mob/named that hits harded then everything else.

Thx for reminding me why i don't post serious advice on forums like this, some wannabe know it all always has to open his mouth and theory craft some BS. What would i know about TLP SK tanking ?
  19. Poydras Augur

Would that reason be you're a sensitive hothead who takes other posts personally and turns every innocuous little note someone makes regarding a post of yours into a battle for honor where you try to argue the other person down and prove your superior knowledge and abilities? Cause yeah you should probably avoid boards if you tend to do that.

Also you can't med when you're the puller.
  20. GrugSA Augur

You're projecting i did nothing of the sort. What i did was give advice on a topic i know much about and some third party who doesn't know about the topic felt a need to argue with me. But please tell me more about the ways of your Barbarian Shadow Knight and do feel free to include your wonderful life advice and then include some bait at the end to keep the argument going.