Anti-Box code added to Phinigel is causing disconnects for people boxing.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by vardune, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicemace Journeyman

im currently multiboxing 4 and getting a couple of DC's a day... the DC's are pretty annoying... what i find more annoying is i have to actually slow down and play like a down syndrome to avoid them. if i press buttons on different box's within about 1 second of each other then i just get kicked. currently i wait about 2 seconds between each key press... the gameplay like this is
  2. JustAQuestion Elder

@nicemace
    I know someone with Down-Syndrome, he plays EQ, and is clever enough to Google for ingame macros to avoid DCs. Get some manners!
  3. Weverley Augur

God never seen a thread like this very informative.
  4. Frenzic Augur

Their catch code is terribly written and hits many false positives. I box in a semi circle. I run three accounts, one directly in front of me, one to each side. If you watch my stream you will see me twirling ect. I've been mass disconnected several times for what I can assume is hitting the keys too quickly. Daybreak assumes I don't have two hands I guess.

Right hand smashes the right keyboard, while left hand smashes the left?

NOPE clearly a violation!

Oh well, playing with just one hand on all three computers has worked out fine. I'll find other uses for my remaining hand...
  5. nicemace Journeyman

figure of speech. settle down pettle.
  6. Risiko Augur

Here's an idea. Just throwing this out there.

Play one character. I know it seems odd, but if you give it a try, you might find you like it.

Now you're probably going to have to not be a jerk to the other people in your groups. That's going to be tough at first I'm sure. Just try your best.
    kraggnar likes this.
  7. JethroGibbs Journeyman

And if that's what was marketed from the start, I'd agree. But they said boxing from multiple pcs is fine and then hamstringed the ability to do so with lazy coding. Defend them and your ideals all you want, but it's a terrible business call.
  8. Risiko Augur

I'm not defending anybody. I'm just saying that boxing on a server that was advertised for non boxers seems odd.
    Venthos and kraggnar like this.
  9. Iyvy Augur

K so. You are boxing 4+ characters and bought multiple PCs to multibox? Like, who gives a crap. I play 3 toons at once and I spam as much as the next person and I've never been booted. I think you're key projecting or playing too many toons, sorry you can't set up a krono farming army but; too bad.
    kraggnar likes this.
  10. Shemak Journeyman

Boxer tears, so freaking delicious
    Grundged likes this.
  11. Zansobar Augur

I guess the simple answer is just don't box even with multiple computers...
  12. Moravia Journeyman

DBG devs: please remove this code. Now. It is serving no actual purpose other than to unfairly punish those that have done nothing wrong. It is losing you business, and it is not catching the cheaters. You should limit multiple client detection logic to CLIENT ONLY!!!

This is not a bug that can be fixed. It is a totally broken feature that is ill conceived. It was a waste of time to even build it to begin with. It can never work correctly for the server you have advertised. Ever.

I don't box on Phinny, and I only ever 2-box on Drinal. But my son and I play, just the two of us, monk and druid. We have been disconned several times now, an it's uber annoying, and once it resulted in 8% of level lost which given this atrocious XP rate is a big deal. I know it is this stupid detection code that is kicking us, because we are both hard-wired to our router and Netflix never stops streaming, yet we both go *poof* at exactly the same time.

Being a monk, he mashes a lot, and his 2/3/4 keys are bound the same as my snare / dot / dot. This almost always happen when we get an add, and I start loading up the dots on the add while he pounds on the first. This is *not* an unusual scenario!!!

Yes, I *could* remap my keys, but that's not the point. I have been using the same key setup for FIFTEEN YEARS!!! Ever heard of muscle memory? 2/3/4 are right above WSAD. There's a reason they are preferred for both his Monk and my Druid. He's been playing for almost 2 years now an this is his 3rd Monk, so he doesn't want to change keys either. Nor should he, because we are doing nothing *wrong*.

If you had taken 5 minutes to analyze if you *should* have put this code in vs. if you *could*, you would have realized that it serves no purpose. Cheaters can avoid your server-side key broadcast detection logic *easily* by using random delays during broadcast, which,I don't know, *EVERY SOFTWARE PACKAGE* lets you do!!!.

Think before you act. Spend your limited dev resources on TBM, aka The Broken Expansion.

Just remove it. You aren't catching anybody. But you are pissing good paying customers off.

The way you should be dealing with illegal boxers is client-side detection only, and through people reporting those that circumvent it. It's that simple. You will *NEVER* be able to build a server-side system that can adequately distinguish between an illegal key-broadcasting boxer and 2-3 family members simply playing together. It was silly to think you even could. If you just sit back and think about it for a second, that should be obvious.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  13. Pseudofate Augur

[IMG]
    Genoane likes this.
  14. Moravia Journeyman

All jokes aside, you should be playing that for the mainline players who have *bought* a fundamentally broken expansion while dev resources are spent working on other fundamentally flawed anti-cheat features that cost money instead of make money.

Everybody suffers as a result.
  15. Grundged Lorekeeper

Not me.

I dont box and never had this problem. Boxers however do, seems like anti-box code is working as intended!
  16. Mwapo Augur

If I wanted to set up a krono farming army, it wouldn't be that hard. Delays in the in game macro is all you need to use to be able to key broadcast still. Like has been said previously, this punishes people trying to be legit, not people who are not being legit. You don't see then rolling around because people that are being shady do it on the downlow. I love it. People want to keep punishing boxers because someone was a jerk to them once. Eventually you will need boxes to be successful on these servers and noone will be left to help.
  17. Venthos Augur

100% agreed. Phinigel is the only server with explicit boxing related ruleset aimed at denying boxing. Choosing this server to box on, to whatever capacity, is just mind boggling.

My favorite are the people who are so delusional that they take the "True Box" rule set as somehow encouraging or validating true boxing as preferred/recommended. True Boxing is basically the strictest they can get without widespread punishment of single boxers. If they tried to ban True Boxing, then there is quite literally no way to discern 2 humans on 2 computers versus 1 human playing 2 computers. The rage storm of people not being able to play with their SO/family would be significant, and justified.

"True Box" is the absolute literal closest DBG can get to stating "No Box Server", and people are going "Y'know, boxing on Phinigel seems like a good idea". Amazing.

Agreed that the more 55 gallon drums of boxer tears we fill up on Phinigel, the better. I feel like this is a case of there being a big red button that says "DO NOT PUSH" and then people irresistibly pressing it. "DO NOT BOX" "eh.... man... I think i'm going to 5 box on Phinigel". Bravo.
    Risiko likes this.
  18. Poydras Augur

Hey these guys go to a lot of trouble to get an advantage over others and to avoid having to make friends and do the whole interdependent grouping and sharing loot thing.
  19. iceyx Journeyman

I really dont understand why you are all playing on on phinny. It is literally a haven for people that dont like boxers. Why would you box here instead of the servers without that ruleset? I've been in 2 groups now that have booted people they found out were boxing. It's not welcome here.
  20. Mwapo Augur

Population, 3 month unlocks. If ragefire would have gone to three months, I think the server would be in much better shape. People want to play on this server because it has the most people. They want to box because they like to be able to accomplish things alone. I don't see how you can even claim that they have other options.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.