Raiding mages

Discussion in 'Casters' started by wthHappened, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Leex Pewpewer

To me I think we've got a better chance at having our rains reversed then getting an additional spear, however the reality is we're just SoL.
  2. Triconix Augur

My sincerest condolences. Although the warrior class had it's problem for quite some time (thanks in part to particular people hurting our class behind archaic roleplaying beliefs), never has there been a time where we were so hindered like the SK class is now.

Unfortunately SKs are in raids in spite of their class rather than because of their class.

Oh, and what's a mage? I heard it was some class that people use in TLP to 40 box and farm kronos. ;)
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

On the sad panda bandwagon, sks have been doing this with lifetap a for-basically-ever, so I feel your pain :(

Indeed. Though at least you need 1 Mage for rods. You need 1 sk for....well, nothing ;).

I thought rains were the perfect trade off for mages tbh, so maybe Leex is right and getting them made less crappy is a better approach. I just think y'all need another "big" nuke. Fix rains and a secondary spear type would go a long way.
  4. Brohg Augur

I play a whole lot of classes, including magician. I raid as a warrior, so any of the 16 classes having access to better dps makes me that much less likely to die to variance. I've no interest in any of them being weak.

Again, though, I question the premise. To wit, that magicians are weak. That a chunk of magician power, the tanking part, isn't fully employable in raids is kind've an issue, but the other classes that can tank sometimes don't get to be, when they're not tanking, 8th & 13th in guild for total damage on a recent 12.5 minute raid win, or 5th & 8th at another 8.5 minute one, 7 & 9 over 7.5mins, 6&11 on a 2.5min burn. I'm not crowing about my guildmate's performances, I'm totally sure they could be better, but that's pretty solid stuff like 80-100k sustained with me not having a bard for them or blackwolfs.

I'm advancing a rogue right now is why I had a question about that class. Since the fans care about things like this:
    105 Warrior
    105 Wizard
    105 Magician
    105 Enchanter
    105 Necromancer
    105 Shaman
    105 Cleric
    103 Bard
    100 Rogue
  5. fransisco Augur

The devs consider mages a dps class. You do not think mages should be competitive dps because they have a pet that can tank worse than a ranger - another dps class. (Real players know tanking is more than taking frontal damage from a single controlled mob).

Thus, you're position seems to be that mages should be bad at dps because they can tank badly, and they should be bad tanks because they can dps badly.

I'm tempted to call this argument a Trumple.
    Igniz and Mintalie like this.
  6. Triconix Augur

You got me there, touche!
  7. Piemastaj Augur

And who are the top 1-5 on those fights? Especially because the person parsing is not picking up Necro DMG, so those are not accurate positions for the Magicians either. Issue is, we went from being the class winning those quite well to falling into the top 7-10 or further. Which has ALWAYS been our class niche, really good sustained Damage and moderate Burst. We now are at middle of the road sustained and Moderate Burst, effectively losing our niche.

Also, what are the damage differences in the classes? Are the Mages at 85k and the top 1-5 at 125k?
  8. Sarcogian Augur

Zerker, ranger, chanter, monk, wizard. If you're excluding the necros. There used to be a mage in that top 5 but she left.
  9. Karthos Augur

I just want to point out that this is false. I have a very well geared ranger (full TDS raid with 5 slots TBM raid) and my mage bots pet with plane of war pet focus tanks circles around my toon. I also have another 3 box set with a 105 ranger with about 40k lower hp and a mage bot with shards landing pet focus. That pet also has no problem tanking TBM named. That ranger can take about 1 or 2 rounds from a TBM named.

I'm on board with you guys wanting something more from your class. You deserve something. It's ridiculous how inefficient the mages dps is and while many classes made huge gains in power with the new TBM spells, mages got almost nothing.

Edit: Here is some proof. I just completed a Plane of Health HA. Here are the tanking results.

Tanking summary for: Kraythos - Total Melee - Damage: 1805415 - Avg hit: 6589 - Attempts: 416 - Riposted: 43/416 [10.34%] - Parried: 33/373 [8.85%] - Dodged: 9/340 [2.65%] - Defended: 85/416 [20.43%] - Missed: 57/331 [17.22%] - Hits: 274/416 [65.87%] - Real Hits: 274/416 [65.87%]

Tanking summary for: Kibarer - Total Melee - Damage: 1773967 - Avg hit: 5650 - Attempts: 512 - Riposted: 5/512 [0.98%] - Parried: 14/507 [2.76%] - Dodged: 12/493 [2.43%] - Blocked: 13/481 [2.7%] - Defended: 44/512 [8.59%] - Missed: 37/468 [7.91%] - Hits: 431/512 [84.18%] - Absorbed: 117/431 [27.15%] - Real Hits: 314/512 [61.33%]
    Xeladom and Sheex like this.
  10. Naugrin Augur

How do you figure?

To clarify...am I doing something wrong?

Our dichotomic does not get fully focused and does not twincast. It costs 16k mana. I've been using it when I get a gom proc and twincast is not running. The most I have seen this hit for I think was in the 600k range.

Iirc it has a 30 sec recast. So how are you getting to 6mill plus? If this is possible, is it even worth the mana cost?
  11. Savil Lorekeeper

Yes, and that earth pet is also doing a game breaking 6k DPS... I've seen rangers / zerkers / beastlords / rogues all tank TBM named. ARX named are harder than TBM named. As with anything it depends on the player / gear / aa's. "My ranger can't do it, so all rangers can't!".. *sigh*.

If your ranger can't take 1-2 rounds then *YOUR* doing something wrong, cause even my freaking MAGE took a full round of dmg and lived.

Sad fact is our pets do piss poor dmg on raids, and even the dmg they do is up and down like a yo yo from raid to raid. Wizards shouldn't out parse mages in both burst and sustained, when they are doing more than 2x our DPS its just stupid. Why would any guild want more than 1 mage on a raid when you could get almost any other DPS class that will give the raid overall more dmg / utility? Don't take my word for it, just look at any raid guild's want list. How often do you see mages on that list now?

It gets very very old seeing the same old posts by *NON MAGES* saying were fine, and nothing is wrong, how our pets blah blah blah. 99% of the people posting don't have a *CLUE* WTF they are talking about. They don't have a high end mage, they don't parse, but they do endlessly mouth off about things they have no clue about.

Sad fact is the devs have made very poor choices for several exps and more than just mages are in a crap place. The sooner they admit this and start getting with CR's and asking for ideas the sooner this crap could be fixed.

Savil
    Drayze, Igniz, Marton and 1 other person like this.
  12. fransisco Augur

As I said, tanking is more than taking frontal damage from a single controlled source Karthos.

Tanking involves dealing with any changes in the situation: adds, snap agro, rescuing other players, agro changes, ect.
    A mage pet might take frontal damage from a single controlled mob better than a ranger, but its laughable to say a mage pet is a better tank than a ranger.
    Igniz likes this.
  13. Sancus Augur

At least to me, who tanks an HA better doesn't seem to have much relevance to raiding mages.
    Leex, Iila and Igniz like this.
  14. Leex Pewpewer

It's 60 seconds actually, I'm pretty sure all dicho recast are 60 seconds.

Pretty sure Beimeith was saying how he was doing about 5-6 mill when modded up. Is it worth the 16k mana? Well Idk, I mean Wizards can magically refresh their harvest by casting claw ( sure it's got a small chance but better then anything Mages have ) plus you guys have dual gathers, AA and spell form. Maybe you are doing something wrong, but I can't tell you what as I have no clue.

I've seen it crit at least 2mill from the Wizards in Triton though, they say they don't like it but I rather think that's just being spoiled :D.
  15. Brohg Augur

Mnk/rog/war have 5min cooldowns

Dichotomic Fire was kicked in the junk in a new & fancy way every day for the full final week of TBM beta, to the point that Aristo went fishing in other class' toolboxes several times for more ways to hurt it. What remains is a very good Concussion spell that can only be used with Gift of Mana. If you've seen something crit 2mil on Live it was the 30 minute reuse Mana Burn AA comboed up with dru/enc/etc best stuff.
  16. Sancus Augur

Mana Burn does 2.4 million damage regardless of support.
  17. Karthos Augur

I was responding to his comment about rangers tanking better than mage pets which my parses prove is a lie.
  18. Piemastaj Augur

You proved you didn't read his posts twice now.

He was referring to add control, snap aggro, placement ect not standing around taking hits with nothing else going on. Which he said in the post directly, and then again in response to your post.

That is not the point though. Mage's need a boost and throwing sludge at other classes doesn't get anything done.
    Igniz, Sancus and Leex like this.
  19. Karthos Augur

I totally agree mages need a boost. Trying to bring down rangers is not the way to do it, which is clearly what he tried to do.
  20. Leex Pewpewer

Depending on the situation Rangers can tank better than Mage pets..They can gank aggro better, they can WS if needed and completely take over..I've seen raids saved by a Ranger going in, creating a WS chain that allowed the Warriors to get up buffed and ready to go back in..

If you're talking about just taking hits our pets are front end loaded with AC / HP and tons of mitigation so of course they "tank" better..However a Ranger has more utilities. No one is bringing Rangers down, or trying to.

As far as Mages go, honestly if our water pet hit half as hard as a Rogue does we'd be ok..Our Warrior pet tanks half as good as a real Warrior, so why shouldn't the water pet hit like a Rogue ?! Not that I really like powering pets, I rather have spells to increase our power so we don't have to rely on our pets as they can die and then are useless..But I do see the water pet needing a boost, along with an additional spear or rains reverted. /nods.
    Igniz likes this.