Best 3 box?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Akrylix, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Akrylix New Member

As the title states, what do you feel would be the best 3 box to run to level all the way up? One that would not need really any outside help leveling to say 100. Maybe farming old raids to get some gear for a PL alt. Have the ability to 4 box but really don't want to do more than that
  2. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Tank (War, Sk, Pal) + Enchanter + Druid

That's the most versatile 3 box combo IMO. Most people would heavily lean towards one of the knights as the tank over a warrior. You have everything, tank, extra healing (although I highly recommend a merc as primary healer when 3 boxing), pulling, crowd control, buffs and debuffs.
  3. strongbus Augur

mage/necro/bst. gives you everything but mez. for mercs I run 2 healer mercs at all times and the 3rd slot changes between a 3rd healer and wiz merc for extra dps/heals depending on what i am fighting.
  4. Akrylix New Member

How are the pets as tanks since the nerf? Seeing alot of talk about how they are garbage tanks now. Also has anyone tried to use them on old raid mobs? Since they supposidly no longer hold threat and all threat goes to the mage
  5. strongbus Augur

what nerf. besides changes to pets on the tlp servers to make them more like they where back in that time of the game. I use pets all the time on group stuff on live servers as tanks and have no issues I can use 2 healer mercs and a caster merc and I take 2 at once np.. Doing the older raids might have some issues. As it was only raid mobs that where changed to not let pet tanking.
  6. Akrylix New Member

Ah. I thought the pet changes were game wide not just TLP to reduce the power of pets. My bad. Makes me rethink my grouping lol. Now thinking a 4 box mage/nec/chanter/druid. All da pets
  7. Piggles New Member

With the pet changes, I have been contemplating either going with:

1. BST/Mage/Bard
    2. BST/Necro/Bard -- Less Tankage, but BST/Necro seem more viable if you are also looking to Raid then mage. Bard adps works well with both.
    3. BST/Mage/Necro -- Lose Bard Utility and ADPS, but otherwise strong damage. Not sure if addition of the additional DPS class outweighs the loss of Bard ADPS.

In each case, I plan on primarily playing the Beastlord with spell macros for the casters (another reason why it may be easier to box the mage rather than rogue) and bard with melody and moving into melee (although still working on doing this without losing too much attention on the Beastlord).

I think I am probably going to go full time with Beast/Necro/Bard, but I do worry about whether that's enough tankage.
  8. Akrylix New Member

That is also part of the problem I was thinking about. Not having a tank may mess with the possibility of doing old raids for money/twink gear. However the charmed pets seem to retain agro even on raid bosses for the time being so kind of banking on that for now. If need be I can swap the nec or chanter in my 4 box to PL up a tank/melee later on for raid purposes.
  9. nolan081100 Journeyman

ranger or monk - shaman - bard
    shadowknight - shaman - ranger or monk

those combo's will give good healing and cures for raid content and a great group set up with mercs for leveling / farming gear

i 4 box shadowknight -- ranger -- shaman -- bard -- healer merc -- DPS merc
  10. Akrylix New Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

Are ranger bow shots still bound to key press or do they function like auto attacks now? Been away from the game for a long time so wondering if ranger would be an easy box with macros rather than micro management.
  11. nolan081100 Journeyman

/autofire works for bows
    i also have assist keys made that look something like this
    /assist Soandso
    /pause 38, /cast 2
    /pause 55, /cast 5
    /pause 30, /cast 8
    /hidecorpse all --- "this will help keep down lag"

or if you use your bow

/assist Soandso
    /pause 1, /autofire
    /pause 45, /cast 2
    /pause 38, /cast 5
    /hidecorpse all

ranger's are rather good DPS these days with low delay weapons and can "head shot" with their bows for a large amount of damage, normally enough to kill a humanoid up to one level lower then the ranger if AA's are bought.

have your assist key for all toons set to same key bind so you can switch to toon Soandso hit the 1 key switch to Soandso#2 hit the 1 key etc...

on bard if you use one, you can

/assist Soandso
    /pause 1
    /melody 1, 2, 3, 4, "etc till your playing all the songs you want to"
    if you have a DoT song up and in the /melody key once the mob dies and their is no target the bard will stop playing songs so he don't catch all the aggro on next pull.

Bards add a lot to the group's over all damage per second, can pull really well, and mezz adds if needed, they are a great addition to a group, plus Selo's run speed is soooo nice!~

Shaman heals are pretty good at higher levels "85+" get group heals, HoTs, and cures. their buffs are a great thing to have on hand at all times, their slows are the best you can get, can debuff, and dispel, they can cure, group heal, group cure, and do a small amount of DPS. all around amazing class that can just sit on a mount and have 3 to 4 hot keys set up and not have to worry about spending a lot of time on that toon.
  12. sifonin Augur

I am in no way saying this is the "best" set up because I think optimizing is up to the player making the decisions behind the keys. The three classes I'm currently playing for group content is monk/bst/bard. The bard really assists the monk and bst with dps a lot and brings a lot of utility to the table. I find the beast is able to help keep up his pet who tanks and can throw r fury for an additional bump in melee adps. Loving this combo.
  13. Akrylix New Member

Thanks for all the input. Think I am going to give a caster combo a shot. If nothing else this will allow me to PL other things up much faster and easier.

Mage/Chanter/Druid/Nec (mostly for harder mobs that last a lot longer. Would be the first to swap if need be)
  14. Blankslate Elder

When you use 2 healer mercs and 1 caster, what settings do you use for each merc pls?
  15. strongbus Augur

1 healer on reactive 1 on balanced caster merc is always on balanced
  16. Wayylon Augur

My advice pick a main, a class you really like, then build the box around it.
  17. Ranonman Elder

I run War (main), Bard, Druid 3-boxing. using 3 DPS mercs. I know this isn't strong DPS-wise but as being a main tank, I can survive long duration battles. Bard playing songs can improve overall DPS.
  18. Raptorjesus5 Augur

This is important too. Because the best three box team is a different question with a different answer than what classes will make my main character mo-better?
  19. Akrylix New Member

I actually ended up just going with a 4 box. BST/Mage/Chanter/Druid. Not sure which I'll end up maining yet but having a blast leveling them as things just melt lol
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  20. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Won't be anything you can't do with that group.