Raiding mages

Discussion in 'Casters' started by wthHappened, Dec 13, 2015.

1. wthHappened Journeyman

pretty straight forward question. How are mages now in the raid game i havent played mine in 2 years and used to use rain spells a lot for dps
  2. wthHappened Journeyman

im going to take a guess and say not doing that well since there hasn't been a reply in almost 24 hours
  3. Cicelee Augur

You posted on a Sunday. Generally a day that majority of raids take place. So majority of your target audience was playing and raiding, instead of reading forums.

As far as your question goes, magicians are the best class on raids to give mod rods to others. We also excel at the ability to cast Call of Hero and move people from one spot to another, when the zone allows us to do so.
    Danille likes this.
  4. DruidCT Augur

And we love you for it. :p
    Potawatomi likes this.
  5. Igniz Augur

Basically, we are the number one class to yell at if pets did something stupid, no matter if it were our pets.

Apart from that, if other classes are slacking badly or not very adept at using their tools, we might be contenders for DPS rankings (after Necros of course).
  6. wthHappened Journeyman

ah thanks for the reply everyone =( wanting to get away from melee for a while in the raid game and used to have a lot of fun on my group mage but its been so long since i played him i wanted some feedback before i made a decision (would still rock a raid mage but dont want to get him ready and have no spots open in any guilds =(. )
  7. fransisco Augur

mages are kind of a group only class now.
  8. Igniz Augur

I know guilds fielding up to 5 mages on raid, but those normally leave raid as soon as "real" DPS shows up. If you want raw DPS as a caster with a manageable amount of stres, go WIZ. If you like being stressed on raid and enjoy getting a high reward for high micromanaging, go NEC.
  9. Yimin Augur

Mage has been almost nerfed out of the raid game .... IMO this class is no longer worth raiding with until they can DPS again , I now raid on my Bst ....

Yimin
    Igniz likes this.
  10. Savil Lorekeeper

To be fair, mages can post ok parses still, but you really have to know WTF you are doing to even get in the top 10 for most guilds now. Its pretty stupid now, a low skill wizard can out dps a good mage in both burst and sustained.

Mages are still a dps class, but we can't out burst / sustain wizards/necros anymore. We can out sustain some of the melee dps classes, but many of them out burst and sustain us as well.

I don't care how people try to explain it away, its completely stupid for mages to be more than 2x'ed by wizards. Pets are great when your solo .. and in groups but on raids nobody is looking for your water pet to be tanking something and if your not running a water pet on raids well, you aren't trying to be dps in the first place.

My own guild has fielded 4 mages on a raid, but anymore they are the first to get benched when other dps joins the raid. Our class has become a complete joke on raids, but I can sure solo a lot of neat stuff!! Sad thing is, so can MANY of the other dps classes, so why did we lose out on dps so badly? O ya, our pets! *sigh*

They balanced the class dps around rains for several exps and then hard nerf rains, but never answered why... so mages figured something would come around to fix that in TBM. Nothing came. Now were at an all time low.

The class and game TBH is at an all time low. The only thing the devs care about is TLP servers and even they are a joke. The devs pushed tons of broken / half baked "content" from "beta testing" that was so badly broke it shouldn't even have made it out of Q/A (sorry, forgot they don't have a Q/A dep). From itemization that looks like it was done by a RNG to quests they couldn't even be bothered to use a spell checker on.

And for the *privilege* of beta testing this "product" (and I use this word very loosely) we get to pay $15 / month. When EQ folds (which I think will be soon) I hope the people that were directly responsible for TBM look back and think to themselves, "gee, maybe we should have actually payed atten to what the beta testers were telling us!".

Savil
    Sancus, Yimin, Mintalie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Igniz Augur

I wouldn't say "all time low" *cough*modrodcycling*cough* but we're pretty near again, from a raiding point of view.
  12. Mintalie Augur

Yeah. It's bad, and frustrating, and this character that I've spent the last 8 years maximizing can't make the top 10 parse on a raid. Mages desperately need help.
    Igniz, Sancus and Yimin like this.
  13. Cheryberryfairy Elder

Raid mages are terrible, most of them don't know what they are doing and the ones that do are cool an all but I'd take a Wizard or Necro or Rogue over them any day.

Unless you get the perfect support on Mage you aren't making any top 5's in any guild worth their salt, unless you're like Merlin and manage to make RNG your
  14. Heatwave Journeyman

One problem for the magician has always been: how to balance the raiding aspect with the group aspect. To give the raiding magician what they need to be valuable to a raid without making them too powerful in group content.

This was made incredibly more difficult with the introduction of mercs. No other class benefits as much as a magician, with respect to mercs.

Sony came up with the solution long ago, actually. The 'of many' line of nukes...

We just need the line fixed. Unlink them, and give us a magic based version as well. Plus, make it so it's not based on pet count, because of all the crap that kills the garbage tiny pets, but base it on number of total targets on a mobs hate list, pets, plus PCs. 18 or more, and they hit for max damage...

Won't give the group magician too much dps, and easily adjustable for the raid magician.

Problem solved.
    Mintalie, Ismel and Pirlo like this.
  15. Pirlo Augur

I also think the dicho spell can be tweaked to really improve mage dps without making them op.

Mages need some offensive love, hopefully aristo sees that and tweaks the spells
  16. Mintalie Augur

Absolutely perfect solution.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Not really.

What is the point of creating a magic based XXXX of many line? How many fire resistant raid encounters are there in the past three expansions? That seems non productive to ask for.

Unlinking them is also not that great of an idea. If you improve them (which is the optimal solution) then you can balance them each expansion so that the magician can reach xyz DPS you want them to achieve. It may make that XXXX of many spell powerful, but in a raid setting. If you unlink them, then why would a magician use any other spell but XXXX of many? The amount of damage the spell would do could be greater than current expansion spear. That would throw our class into OP on raids category to get three powerful XXXX of many spells. Assuming you get the max amount of pets on the raid named, which generally is not hard to get to with everyone else's pets.

And no, XXXX of many should only go to pets. Not players. We are magicians, we summon pets. This spell is a damage spell that "feels" mage-ish. Having it work on players will never happen. Dumb.

IMHO the dev just needs to modify the XXXX of many spell to increase it to where they want raid magician DPS to be at. If they want it at 40k and we currently do 35k, then they do what they need to do to add an additional 5k DPS to XXXX of many. Another line, more damage, whatever. Solves raid mage issues for the most part, and doesn't necessarily affect the group mage that much...
    Sancus and Igniz like this.
  18. Igniz Augur

Unlinking the of-many line of spells would sooner rather than later result in a nerf to the line as it would be "too mana efficient", just like the rains we were tuned around for 4 expansions ...
    Brohg likes this.
  19. Piemastaj Augur

Except that does nothing for our huge mana issues in the group game.

Not smart nor acceptable to get a raid boost while we suck in group content. Unlinking of many or increasing it won't do what we need. It's the same as Rains, too good on mana.

We need to be getting a second spear per expansion. It just can't cost 5k mana unless we literally double our mana regen. We need more DMG while getting more mana regen, 1 w/o the other nerfs our class.

No other caster sacrifices like that plain and simple.
    Sancus likes this.
  20. Brohg Augur

Wizard nukes, Piemastaj. That's wizard nukes. And wizard harvest, only actually bigger.

Spear 4900 for base 29731 right now, you think there should be another of.

Ethereal Incandescence is 5158 for 33330,
    Ethereal Rimeblast 4639 for 29975. Like those?

And "literally double your mana regen" would be taking Gather Magnitude 13033 to, approximately, Quiescent Harvest 22822 ? Actually better, of course.

I don't think you're suggesting nerfing magician base crit rate to 42% like wizards have, or nerfing Servant down to half of the caster's own melee damage like wizard flamesword is, or nerfing your main pet down to "actually doesn't exist" like wizards' lil tank buddy - so I'm at a loss. What parity are you seeking?
    Beimeith and Igniz like this.